Fuse box buzzing

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Last night during the game, we were watching in our basement and someone in another room told us that the fuse box was buzzing. It seems that the space heater was drawing too much power, but the circuit breaker didn't switch off. Any advice?

Should I:

1. Replace only the circuit breaker that was buzzing but not tripping? Cue the "buzzed" and "tripping" jokes.

2. Replace all the circuit breakers? The house is 28 years old. I would hire a pro to do it.

3. Leave it to the Fire Department to take care of.

4. Use the insurance money to build a better mancave.

Other snarky comments are welcome, but I hope to get a few actual expert tips too. For instance, is this something I should take care of immediately?

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Never heard of a breaker buzzing, but I would replace it soon. Just because one is acting up, doesn't mean they are all bad. I would also have someone look at anything that routinely trips breakers.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
giphy.gif

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Replace the circuit breaker or have an electrician look at it. Have a friend that is a good electrician, I had the same problem once where the box was buzzing/vibrating so I sent him a video of it. He went through and found the one causing it and replaced it and had no issues since...

Well other than my house getting hit by lightning about a year later which I had all the breakers in the box replaced after that when I lost several electronics. Was able to claim that expense on my insurance claim though because even the claims guy that came out recommended I get them replaced after that. Installed a whole house circuit breaker when I did that, if you get a surge into your main box it will trigger that breaker and cut power to the entire house. It won't protect you from lightning but it's another barrier to guard against surges before they got into any other circuits in the house

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Get a space heater that draws less power?

Space heaters generally are pretty big power draws. What is the amperage of the breaker that is buzzing? Don't usually see anything less than 15 in homes, but hard to tell. How many other things are plugged in the circuit?

dqMsF.png

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I've heard this happens a lot with space heater use. They draw so much power and put a strain on the breaker but not enough to trip it when it should trip it. Because it doesn't trip the breaker it can overheat and that's bad. This is what my electrician friend told me when i had a similar issue in our old house.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
It's probably nothing, sounds like a problem for future you to worry about.

I **** over tomorrow KnappShack all of the time. That prick has to deal with a lot.

Mostly hangovers and results of bad decisions made drinking. But.....really.....**** that guy. Tomorrow me can clean up the mess.

I live for today, mother *******!

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Replace the circuit breaker or have an electrician look at it. Have a friend that is a good electrician, I had the same problem once where the box was buzzing/vibrating so I sent him a video of it. He went through and found the one causing it and replaced it and had no issues since...

Well other than my house getting hit by lightning about a year later which I had all the breakers in the box replaced after that when I lost several electronics. Was able to claim that expense on my insurance claim though because even the claims guy that came out recommended I get them replaced after that. Installed a whole house circuit breaker when I did that, if you get a surge into your main box it will trigger that breaker and cut power to the entire house. It won't protect you from lightning but it's another barrier to guard against surges before they got into any other circuits in the house

Yes, we have a video of the electrical box buzzing.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Space heaters generally are pretty big power draws. What is the amperage of the breaker that is buzzing? Don't usually see anything less than 15 in homes, but hard to tell. How many other things are plugged in the circuit?

dqMsF.png

Top lights (canned lights), table lamp, plasma TV, space heater, and maybe an occasional microwave. Hmmm. Now that I write it out, it was pretty much like your photo.

• Funny
Reactions: CyCloned