Funniest movie of all time

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Husband votes for Blazing Saddles. He decided that was a good movie for one of our early dates.

Because nothing says "romance" like fart jokes. It was a good thing he was cute.

That was "The Moment of Truth" date. He was testing you.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Dang, I forgot This is Spinal Tap, that may tie with Airplane.

As far as Caddyshack - IMO, it was just never all that funny. Nor was The Blues Brothers. They were funny enough, but not worth all of the love that they get.

It's a good thing we don't have to pick movies together. We would argue. Of course, we would argue about numerous things anyway. If you don't think Blue Brothers was outright hilarious, I can't be around you.

Funnier than Blues Brothers, yes. Funnier than, say, Young Frankenstein? Nah.

It must be. I just watched it (the Jerk) again for the first time in years and was surprised how funny it was. After that Steve Martin just got less and less funny. And Big Lebowski and Dumb and Dumber didn't make me laugh at all. I never ever once in my whole life laughed at anything with Jim Carey in it. He's just a newer version of Jerry Lewis and I guess I never thought he was funny either. Definitely must be generational.

Steve Martin was really ******* funny for a long time. Then he kind of sold out to the family audience. I loved his SNL stuff. "I am a wild and crazy guy"

D

DistrictCyclone

Anybody like Best in Show? I love those style of movies.

The "mockumentary". Best in Show, A Mighty Wind, Waiting for Guffman, This is Spinal Tap, etc. were all made by the same people, so if you like one, you'll probably like the others.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
It's a good thing we don't have to pick movies together. We would argue. Of course, we would argue about numerous things anyway. If you don't think Blue Brothers was outright hilarious, I can't be around you.

I'm sorry. And it may be better if I watched it now. You don't hear a lot of 24-year-old girls listing it amongst their favorite movies of all time, but maybe my tastes have changed.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Maybe not the funniest of all times, but I laughed for about 10 minutes straight watching the opening segment/song of South Park - Bigger, Longer, Uncut.

My buddy and I were crying in the theater and our wives just looked at us like there was something wrong with us. They weren't laughing at all. Women just don't know humor.

I strongly feel the South Park movie is right up there with the funniest, and it's certainly one of my favorites. I was never into the show beforehand, but I probably just never gave it much of a chance. I was in tears from laughing so hard throughout that movie. Also one of the best musicals of our era.

Airplane! is also right up there with one of my favs, as well as Office Space and Robin Hood: Men in Tights.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I strongly feel the South Park movie is right up there with the funniest, and it's certainly one of my favorites. I was never into the show beforehand, but I probably just never gave it much of a chance. I was in tears from laughing so hard throughout that movie. Also one of the best musicals of our era.

Airplane! is also right up there with one of my favs, as well as Office Space and Robin Hood: Men in Tights.

Gotta give some Robin Hood: MIT rep. I thought of it earlier and forgot to post it.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I'm sorry. And it may be better if I watched it now. You don't hear a lot of 24-year-old girls listing it amongst their favorite movies of all time, but maybe my tastes have changed.

Fair enough.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I don't recall anyone mentioning Team America, World Police. I thought that was hilarious. **** yea.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Oh, Brother, Where Art Thou? needs some attention here.

Lebowksi ('By waving a ****ing gun around!?'). I cannot understand how anyone doesn't see this as one the greatest collection of funny scenes of all time.

There's a few others in this thread that are great.

Has there been any mention of Tropic Thunder?

SWCy13

Nov 14, 2011
I'm a big Office Space fan. I also think Major League should get some recognition, easily the funniest sports movie ever made IMO. The one recent movie that I thought was hilarious was Ted. It's probably because I love Family Guy and it's stupid humor, but I just found it great.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Dumb and Dumber
Billy Madison

Both are ridiculously quotable, and both never get old. Of course I haven't seen all the movies listed, so this is just my opinion.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
That was "The Moment of Truth" date. He was testing you.

It was. I suppose it was only fair, on our third or fourth date, I finally let him come to my house. My brother then decided it was "play all of Cowgirl's embarrassing home videos for the new boyfriend to see" and pretended to hit on him to see if it would make him uncomfortable. So I suppose I got off easy just having to watch a movie I'd seen several times living in a house with three males.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
I know a lot of people like the Big Lebowski, but when I saw it I thought it was alright. However, it might have been one of those situations where all I ever heard about it was that it was a great movie, and I just thought it was "meh" when I actually watched it. I don't think this is the funniest movie ever but I think it may be worth a mention is Dodgeball.