JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
Jul 18, 2016; Dallas, TX, USA; Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby speaks to the media during the Big 12 Media Days at Omni Dallas Hotel. Mandatory Credit: Kevin Jairaj-USA TODAY Sports

Endless questions. Not as many fully-formed answers. But after ongoing consultations with doctors and scientists, the Big 12 plans to move forward with fall football, Bob Bowlsby, the league’s commissioner, said Wednesday in an hour-long conference call with the media.

“Frankly, we found that what we thought was golden 60 days ago is garbage today,” Bowlsby said. “It’s an ever-evolving environment and we will find ourselves with bumpy spots during the fall. There isn’t any doubt about that, but I think we’re very well prepared to deal with those things, so I feel good about the decision going forward. I believe our board feels good about it and I feel, most importantly, we have some clarity for our coaches and our student-athletes. There’s a difference between clarity and certainty. I...

Continue reading...

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
When I woke up this morning I never thought I would be reading an article that includes both "sit cheek to jowl" and "fourth estate".

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
tests positive to undergo an EKG, troponin blood test, echocardiogram and cardiac MRI.

I find this a bit disconcerting, troponin is how they detect heart attacks, ie heart damage.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I find this a bit disconcerting, troponin is how they detect heart attacks, ie heart damage.

That's also how they know that heart damage hasn't occurred.

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Well yeah, but you typically don’t do this test for twenty year olds. Jfc.

20 year olds playing division 1 athletics go through far more rigorous medical screening than the average student. It’s a pretty straight forward approach and reasoning.

They’ll test every positive case to rule out rare and extreme risk factors which in turn avoids a risk in liability and a resulting PR sh*tstorm.

Last edited:

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
20 year olds playing division 1 athletics go through far more rigorous medical screening than the average student. It’s a pretty straight forward approach and reasoning.

They’ll test every positive case to rule out rare and extreme risk factors which in turn avoids a risk in liability and a resulting PR sh*tstorm.
Better give them stroke tests too then I guess, since we’re testing for apparently every single thing just to be safe.

Must be a reason to be testing for heart damage. I’m glad they’re doing it, but pretending it’s a normal part of college football is absurd.

kcbob79clone

Better give them stroke tests too then I guess, since we’re testing for apparently every single thing just to be safe.

Must be a reason to be testing for heart damage. I’m glad they’re doing it, but pretending it’s a normal part of college football is absurd.

Reason is B1G/Pac-12 canceled based on potential long term effects of coronavirus on the heart, specifically myocarditis.

IMNSHO kind of early to know long term effects for a disease that has been in the USA for only 6 months. Big12 being very prudent though to monitor this.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Reason is B1G/Pac-12 canceled based on potential long term effects of coronavirus on the heart, specifically myocarditis.

IMNSHO kind of early to know long term effects for a disease that has been in the USA for only 6 months. Big12 being very prudent though to monitor this.
And I find it disconcerting.

Stating what we all know doesn’t really change that for me, I’m keenly aware of what myocarditis is.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
And I find it disconcerting.

Stating what we all know doesn’t really change that for me, I’m keenly aware of what myocarditis is.

Best to do these tests so some idiot trainer isn't pushing guys just after they go from positive to negative.

• Agree
Reactions: simply1

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Has it been stated what the protocol will be if heart damage is detected? I'm assuming it will depend on the severity.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron