Friend that works at ESPN

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Steve Deace had an informative podcast on the Big Ten side of things. Said 4 or 5 schools already want to call off the season and they’re just waiting/figuring out who will break through that door first.

I refuse to believe SD could have anything informative to say about anything but Twinkies.

But I do agree there are schools ready to pull the plug but nobody wants to be the first or the one to do it.

Reactions: ribsnwhiskey

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
I was a freshman that year. We stormed the field after every win. The Iowa game in Ames with the throwbacks and Shaggy Bret Culbertson kicking FGs all day. That storm made sense. The others? K-State (with Josh Freeman and Jordy Nelson) and Colorado (down 21-0 at halftime).

2007 we started the year with a loss to Kent Not A State QBed by Julian Edelman lol. And lost to UNI. FG kicks to beat Iowa. Then lost to Toledo.

What a year.

I was a junior that year. Never forget staying up for like 48 hours straight drinking the ISU/Iowa weekend. That 2007 team should've gone a bowl in Chizik's first year. Lost to Kent State, Toledo and UNI while beating Iowa, KSU, and CU. That team even gave OU a game in Ames.

I'll never forget how bad the OL was on that team though. Against Texas Tech, I remember only watching Tom Schmeling on offensive plays and he would always take you right to the ball. Dude was awful.

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
One thing I've learned through all this is I just can't get into watching old games.

I've kind of enjoyed it from just seeing the differences in the way the games were played.

The athleticism and skill level even over the last 20 years is night and day.

One example that stood out was to me it looks like Drew Brees had a pretty slow release point.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Perhaps the best roster/team we will have in 40+ years, and there's a good chance we won't get to see them play. Cyclone karma at its best. :(

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
One thing I've learned through all this is I just can't get into watching old games.

I can’t watch any old games. I don’t mind having old Iowa state games though.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Steve Deace had an informative podcast on the Big Ten side of things. Said 4 or 5 schools already want to call off the season and they’re just waiting/figuring out who will break through that door first.

So guessing that would be NW, Rutgers, Illinois and Indiana?

vacyclone

Nov 17, 2012
Perhaps the best roster/team we will have in 40+ years, and there's a good chance we won't get to see them play. Cyclone karma at its best. :(

On the other hand, the cancellation of the NCAA basketball tournament didn't affect us at all. Imagine if that had happened during the Niang/Morris years.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
So guessing that would be NW, Rutgers, Illinois and Indiana?

I'd bet there's a certain staff in the state of Iowa that would maybe be in favor of not having to be on public display for a good solid year.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I’ll vote 2007 as well if we’re going that route again. For the Big 12, it’d be fun to rewatch that #1 vs #2 Border War game

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
If no college football, I am inclined to just cancel my DISH. Paying $120 a month for their 2nd tier and they have lost Fox Sports Midwest, Altitude and now NFL Network. How do they drop all these sports channels but never change my bill?

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I was a junior that year. Never forget staying up for like 48 hours straight drinking the ISU/Iowa weekend. That 2007 team should've gone a bowl in Chizik's first year. Lost to Kent State, Toledo and UNI while beating Iowa, KSU, and OSU. That team even gave OU a game in Ames.

I'll never forget how bad the OL was on that team though. Against Texas Tech, I remember only watching Tom Schmeling on offensive plays and he would always take you right to the ball. Dude was awful.
Meanwhile our best OL, possibly ever, was redshirting. Kelechi Osemele.

Jammin’

Jul 18, 2009
Ames-Mia-Atx
I was a junior that year. Never forget staying up for like 48 hours straight drinking the ISU/Iowa weekend. That 2007 team should've gone a bowl in Chizik's first year. Lost to Kent State, Toledo and UNI while beating Iowa, KSU, and OSU. That team even gave OU a game in Ames.

Oh man, That game was actually crazy crazy close.

I vividly remember Chris Brown coming on a blind side blitz and sacking Sam Bradford with like 1:30 left in the 4th quarter. I remember my eyes getting wide in anticipation as Chris Brown hit Bradford right as he was thinking of throwing and waiting for the ball to fly out. There was no one back there except another cyclone maybe Alvin Bowen or Rashawn Parker to pick up the ball and scoop and score, but somehow Bradford fell on the ball......so so close.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

That 07 comeback against the buffs on that weird last sec fg attempt was low key one of the better games I’ve ever seen in the Jack. I mean obviously others would be above it. But it was a hell of a game no one remembers (even if for valid cheez whiz reasons)

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
2007 is the clear and only answer here for a number of reasons:

First of all it had SEVEN weeks where the #2 lost, it was chaos week after week.
#1 lost FIVE times and in the same week as #2 THREE times
Big 10 Network Debuted Week 1, starting off with a sleeper of a game FCS Appalachian State at Michigan
Kansas outta nowhere as the only power team in the country with 1 loss
Tim Tebow stunted on all of us all season
Remember Hawaii and Colt Brennan shredding NCAA records?
Louisiana Monroe beat Nick Saban
Chip Kelly debuted at Oregon
Jim Harbaugh Debuted at Stanford
Chizek Coins
Juice Williams and Ron Zook of Illinois beat Ohio State
Birth of the SEC chant after LSU beat Ohio State in the championship

Also the amount of games in HD is an extra level because the year prior was ESPN3 being debuted and 2007 was when ESPNU was first broadcasted in HD.

It's the best choice and it's not even close
Don't forget Notre Dame went 3-9. That was definitely nice.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Despite the quotes here, this suggests no college football this calendar year...

Are they going to have tOSU play on MNF? I thought that's all he did these days.

But I wouldn't read too much into it. This rumor was around before Covid when ESPN was striking out in pulling in the big names like Peyton.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
That 07 comeback against the buffs on that weird last sec fg attempt was low key one of the better games I’ve ever seen in the Jack. I mean obviously others would be above it. But it was a hell of a game no one remembers.
Remember being down 21-0 and thinking it was over.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
That 07 comeback against the buffs on that weird last sec fg attempt was low key one of the better games I’ve ever seen in the Jack. I mean obviously others would be above it. But it was a hell of a game no one remembers (even if for valid cheez whiz reasons)

Back when games on Fox College Sports (FCS) were a thing.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Remember being down 21-0 and thinking it was over.
Oh for sure! I Was a studen and went out and pounded about 8 Busch lattes at half then said **** it and walked back in watched the rest from the south endzone. Was running on the field just as the ref finally said it was over.

Reactions: Dandy