Friday QOTW 8/1 - Move Out Best Find

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
The only time I would dumpster dive was when I lived by this art gallery-type place where they would do pottery. I would stop by the dumpster every once in a while to see if threw out any sweet stuff because it wasn't up to their standards. I still have a couple pieces of pottery from there.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Guess I am the only cheap bastard here. Ah well. Some of it is actually pretty good. I think some of them just don't have the room to take it home.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I remember seeing perfectly good wood lofts thrown in the Friley dumpsters. Kids didn't have room to take it home. Neither did we or we probably would have snagged it.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I remember seeing perfectly good wood lofts thrown in the Friley dumpsters. Kids didn't have room to take it home. Neither did we or we probably would have snagged it.

I remember seeing those back in my day as well. Also, notebooks (the paper kind), pens, pencils, furniture, etc. Most likely had more stuff than when they came to college and no more storage space in the car to haul it.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
We just moved into our first house and the previous owners left us 3 school lockers in the basement (gonna fix them for video game storage leading into my man cave). I also found 5 Michael Jordan basketball cards in a toolbox that they left - 2 of them were rookie cards

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
This is the best Seinfeld dumpster dive find:
tumblr_lb0gftyG0Z1qe04gdo1_500.png

[video=youtube;KBrxaeNJwuk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBrxaeNJwuk[/video]

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
We just moved into our first house and the previous owners left us 3 school lockers in the basement (gonna fix them for video game storage leading into my man cave). I also found 5 Michael Jordan basketball cards in a toolbox that they left - 2 of them were rookie cards

1986 Fleer?

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
[video=youtube_share;W7JvTtpOjU0]http://youtu.be/W7JvTtpOjU0[/video]

oskyclone

Apr 13, 2006
Altoona
I found an Iowa state folding table/ beer pong table. It is pretty sweet and actually function more than a pong table. I was impressed with myself. 2 years ago I found a beer bending machine. It worked too. Had a miller lite logo. Pretty sweet. Also found a few lawn mowers and weed eaters etc that work.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Guess I am the only cheap bastard here. Ah well. Some of it is actually pretty good. I think some of them just don't have the room to take it home.

My wife is a dumpster diva. She knows exactly where to go and finds great stuff. My favorites from this year are a couple of folding tables to use for tailgating.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
A ratty old dresser that was made of particle board and a 25-year-old microwave that didn't work, but would give you cancer if it did. It probably hadn't been cleaned in 25 years either.

Oh wait, that's stuff I threw out by the curb and someone picked up.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Got a nice TV stand last year.

But my real prize find was an old Miller High Life bar sign. Needed a new bulb and some rewiring, but it was pretty easy to fix. It's pretty awesome..sets the mood for a good night of drinking.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
From college days, a nice oscillating fan. Worked, but just needed a new power cord. That was in the Towers when there was no A/C (I guess there is still none)

Here in town one day I noticed some old old baby buggies out on the curb the night before garbage pick up. I snagged them and sold them at the flea market for 10 or 20 bucks each.

Also, the old couple across the street had to move to a nursing home. Their kids got rid of a lot of old stuff I sold at the flea market. I asked them to let me go through what they didn't want and were going to throw away, but evidently they didn't have time or didn't give a rat's ***. I and a neighbor ended up going through the boxes and garbage bags the evening before they were picked up.

I just love the thrill of the hunt, and selling something I got for free. I'm not really in need of the money or anything like that.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
I snagged a La-Z-Boy Recliner when moving out of Buchanan Hall. It couldn't have been more than a year old when I found it. It wasn't anywhere near the dumpster. It was just sitting by the elevator on the third floor. I wasn't going to snag it until my mom suggested I take it since it was an actual La-Z-Boy brand, and not a knockoff.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Hubby is an expert. Dorm fridges, fans, wood furniture, baby buggies, a sledge hammer, an elliptical exerciser, so much variety in what he finds.

The best ever, though, was a four-poster queen-size bed frame, solid oak, carved headboard & footboard, with a small scratch on the back of the headboard. I wanted to find matching nightstands, and found the company & pattern...'bout fell off my chair. The bed frame cost $4500 new. It looks mint. I'm amazed at the things people will throw away...

It looks great in our bedroom, by the way. :)

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I snagged a La-Z-Boy Recliner when moving out of Buchanan Hall. It couldn't have been more than a year old when I found it. It wasn't anywhere near the dumpster. It was just sitting by the elevator on the third floor. I wasn't going to snag it until my mom suggested I take it since it was an actual La-Z-Boy brand, and not a knockoff.

That's not dumpster diving, it's stealing.

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
My best dumpster find was used copper pipe and brass bathroom parts that I sold to the scrap yard for $280.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron