Friday OT - The Freeze

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
My car has a remote start you can use from your phone. Very nice when leaving Hilton.
My wife has this on her car. However, the mychevy app updates all the time and every time it updates, it loses our login info and we have to re-enter it and there's no way we can possibly remember that username and password every time it updates. Maybe I'm just not very smart.

Reactions: Angie

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I love the myChevrolet app for starting your car. I also love my Iowa state faux fur lined ushanka for weather like this. Thing is warm!!

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The best gift you can give your children is to teach them self sufficiency. Teach them to do it right and to schedule their time so they build in the time it takes.

I know, I make them do most things. Even though I complain about it, for some very strange reason I kinda enjoy it so that might be why.

Reactions: wxman1 and Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Technical term for those is "glittens".

And yes, they're great. Don't poo-poo the thumb hole - how else was I going to consume my pork nachos at the Liberty Bowl whilest still keeping my hands somewhat warm?

I feel like they need glittery on them in order to be called "glittens." (Not saying that mine DON'T have glitter on them...) That is an incredibly efficient use for those thumb holes - I redact my statement. They are not useless, you have found an INCREDIBLY valid use for them.

I have gone for my entire adult life without owning a pair of snow boots - I've always either lived in a place where they took care of our shoveling, or I've had a husband to do it, or I've just gone out in my tennis shoes to shovel or whatever. Janny was down at the Liberty Bowl when it snowed at the same time, so I had to do the shoveling - I went to Thiessen's and priced boots. I wasn't really prepared to spend $80 on a pair of women's boots that I will rarely use, so I went to the little girl's and got a pair for $18 because I have tiny feet. Score!

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I know, I make them do most things. Even though I complain about it, for some very strange reason I kinda enjoy it so that might be why.

Well good, I don’t want you to morph into my sister.

When my nephew went to college, she called him every day to make sure he managed to be able to get out of bed, he “wasn’t good with his alarm.” He had a car, but they drove to Ames every couple of weeks to buy his groceries.

He did manage to put down the video games long enough to graduate in five and a half years, all in the same major. Hasn’t looked for job, taking a break year and then grad school lol.

Over the holidays, she was bugging him to brush his teeth. She even brought the toothbrush into the living room with the paste on it so he wouldn’t have to stop his video game. He is 24 years old.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Well good, I don’t want you to morph into my sister.

When my nephew went to college, she called him every day to make sure he managed to be able to get out of bed, he “wasn’t good with his alarm.” He had a car, but they drove to Ames every couple of weeks to buy his groceries.

He did manage to put down the video games long enough to graduate in five and a half years, all in the same major. Hasn’t looked for job, taking a break year and then grad school lol.

Over the holidays, she was bugging him to brush his teeth. She even brought the toothbrush into the living room with the paste on it so he wouldn’t have to stop his video game. He is 24 years old.

Wow, no where close to that. I would probably help the first time or two with groceries (have them go with me back here) and explain why cheese balls and beef jerkey for a week won't work. I helped him the first time he filled up with gas, but then turned him loose and figured he could figure it out.

Reactions: carvers4math

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
GD_ToeWarmerFilm_2017.png

Thin and adhesive backed so I'll stick those suckers inside gloves, socks, on thermals at my kneecaps. I like them better than traditional handwarmers because they are thin and can be stuck anywhere.

jc4cy

Jun 8, 2015
Iowa
I was thinking more on the lines of roasted chestnuts, but this works too.
Good point. I don't think those things would get hot enough to roast the chestnuts.. but let's just say that you probably wouldn't have to get that wax your wife was asking you to get.. hence my word choice: singe

• Funny

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I've lived in Minnesota for 40 years so have a VAST collection of winter gear. Always looking for the next/best thing.

I sometimes drag out the king of vintage, one of the winter hats my dad wore in the Battle of the Bulge. German Luftwaffe sheepskin hat with the German insignia torn off.

My 40 year Sorel boots are older than most of you but this hat is older than everyone!

dads WWII hat 500x600.jpg

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
I've lived in Minnesota for 40 years so have a VAST collection of winter gear. Always looking for the next/best thing.

I sometimes drag out the king of vintage, one of the winter hats my dad wore in the Battle of the Bulge. German Luftwaffe sheepskin hat with the German insignia torn off.

My 40 year Sorel boots are older than most of you but this hat is older than everyone!

Gotta ask - which side was he on?

• Funny