Friday OT: I'll be your guide

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Is that Seattle underground tour a good one for kids? Going out there in July and may tack that onto the list
Depending on how long you have. I recommend the ferry to Bainbridge Island and back.

There used to be this awesome ice cream place in town but looks like they closed down from Covid.

Still recommend the ferry. It’s just cool

Mead For My Horses

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
We had just moved to Kansas City and my folks came to visit. I wanted to take them to the jail that Jesse James was kept in. For some reason, I thought it was Independence. Turns out, the Jesse James jail is in Liberty.

The Independence jail is where Joseph Smith, founder of the Morman Church, was briefly imprisoned. It took a bit before I realized my mistake, but we were committed to the personal tour. We ended up with a thorough lesson on Mormanism and offers to learn much, much more. Still haven't gotten to the Liberty Jail to learn about Jesse James!

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
We did a historic pub crawl in Boston many years ago. You hit taverns where meetings were held and plots were devised during the American Revolution along the way. Some of it was a bit theatrical and cheesy, but it combined history and beer, so I was down.

Also, a tour of Fenway is a must.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
Serious question, not being snarky: What evidence links these bones to the historical character? I'm highly curious. Thanks.
They had a team of 3rd party scientists not associated with the church verify they belonged to a man approximately of Peter's age when he died and from the same time period. That, combined with the bones being found where he is believed to have been buried and graffiti from the time of his death near the tomb give them about 95% certainty they belonged to Peter. As a non-Catholic and not super religious person myself, it was neat how frank the guide was about the facts and the possibility that they aren't his.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Many years ago when Iowa State played a football game at UNLV, we toured the Hoover Dam while we were out in Vegas. It was before 9/11 so we got to go way down into areas of the dam that are no longer accessible to the public.

Most fascinating tour I've ever been on.

JP4CY

Doesn't quickly stand up when the plane lands.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Many years ago when Iowa State played a football game at UNLV, we toured the Hoover Dam while we were out in Vegas. It was before 9/11 so we got to go way down into areas of the dam that are no longer accessible to the public.

I've done that tour. It's much better than I assumed going into it.

Reactions: CyValley

CloneFanInKC

Jul 26, 2021

I did that tour in the early 90s. I agree, pretty cool tour. Especially if you are an engineering or mechanical dork like me.

Reactions: CyValley

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I interned at the Omaha Zoo one summer in college and one of the perks of getting to know the Keepers is that I got to take people behind the scenes and go in displays while the park was open. Aardvarks are like giant puppies and love attention.
So basically like @CoachHines3 mom.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I’m headed out to Jamestown/Yorktown area in a couple weeks. Anyone got any museum tips for that part of the country?

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest

I was in Vegas last year and did the tour. I was able to go deep inside the dam and see the mechanical rooms, inspection tunnels and one of the tunnels to a ventilation shaft.

I'm not sure if it was even more than that pre-9/11 or not, but they have re-opened quite a bit!

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I’m headed out to Jamestown/Yorktown area in a couple weeks. Anyone got any museum tips for that part of the country?
The Yorktown Battlefield tour (self guided) I really liked but I was alone; my kids would have hated it. But if you love the detail, it's awesome!

The Privately operated American Revolution museum at Yorktown is great too -- with this caveat: Go outside and talk with the people dressed up in period costumes. The inside stuff is pretty boring. (The movie was over-the-top schlock and boring).

Reactions: JM4CY

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
The Yorktown Battlefield tour (self guided) I really liked but I was alone; my kids would have hated it. But if you love the detail, it's awesome!

The Privately operated American Revolution museum at Yorktown is great too -- with this caveat: Go outside and talk with the people dressed up in period costumes. The inside stuff is pretty boring. (The movie was over-the-top schlock and boring).
I’m a big fan of old battlefields. Been to a ton of Civil War ones but not so much of the Revolutionary War era ones. Excited to dive into that

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
One of my specialties in life is going on tours and dragging my family along. They love it! Usually it's just boring or typical touristy things.

One such of those was in Portugal, many years ago, Capela dos Ossos (Chapel of the Bones). I won't post pictures here, but it is a chapel literally made of human bones and skulls.

Another, less morbid one, was the SPAM museum in Austin, MN. Has a lot of the history of SPAM, some interactive activities, and bunches of samples. All for free! Also has a gift shop for all your SPAM needs!

Reactions: khardbored

zumbro clones

Jan 31, 2007
Southern Minnesota
Vatican tour - I don't know how you navigate the crowds without a tour.

BTW, there are early private tours that can help reduce the crowds too. Didn't do it but wish we had.