Friday OT: I want to be a golden retriever when I grow up

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I grew up in a very blue-collar family. I remember vividly a conversation with one of my uncles where I told him my dream in life was to become a long haul truck driver. He quickly snapped back at me "don't do that, you'll never make any money!" I'm an engineer now and there are days where I think driving a truck sounds pretty good still.
We recently went to pick up something from one of my wife's co-workers. The husband asked what I did and I replied that I was an accountant for the government. I asked him the same question. He said that he hauled demo to the landfill. I was jealous.

Reactions: WooBadger18

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I grew up in a very blue-collar family. I remember vividly a conversation with one of my uncles where I told him my dream in life was to become a long haul truck driver. He quickly snapped back at me "don't do that, you'll never make any money!" I'm an engineer now and there are days where I think driving a truck sounds pretty good still.

Yeah, some days driving a truck looks pretty good to this engineer as well.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
My sister wanted to be a baby. I'd say she has achieved that goal.

I wanted to be a teacher for the longest time. Then late high school I wanted to be a vet. Neither happened.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We recently went to pick up something from one of my wife's co-workers. The husband asked what I did and I replied that I was an accountant for the government. I asked him the same question. He said that he hauled demo to the landfill. I was jealous.

I've recently just looked at what's out there for part time gigs and one is a UPS warehouse worker where I think you just load and stack boxes. $15.00.

You just pick up the boxes, and move them to another spot, and do that for longer, and then go home.

Sounds amazing.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee and Dopey

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Professional singer. I lean toward Folk music & gospel when I sing, so yeah.

I got partway there as the "on-call" vocalist for a local funeral home (for families who wanted a hymn or something sung at a funeral, but didn't know anyone to ask).

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I was I think at different points thinking I'd work with animals or something. That would have included being good at maths and science so likely not something I would have been qualified for.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Own an off-road fab shop near Moab, Utah or Johnson Valley, CA. I wish I still had my toys from my teens.

arobb

Jan 4, 2014
I've recently just looked at what's out there for part time gigs and one is a UPS warehouse worker where I think you just load and stack boxes. $15.00.

You just pick up the boxes, and move them to another spot, and do that for longer, and then go home.

Sounds amazing.
I actually did job that when I was going to community college. Let's just say that there's a reason that people go "postal".

do4CY

Aug 30, 2020
I grew up on a small farm so I always wanted to be a farmer but didn't know if I would ever have the chance so my mom always pushed me to use my brain. When I was younger I wanted to be an architect, then that changed to a car designer when I was a little older. Went to school for mechanical engineering. A little over a year in an office is all it took for me to decide that I would do about anything to farm. Been farming ever since.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Funny thing is driving truck doesn't pay bad now days. Probably not engineering money but not bad.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
When I was <7, I switched between wanting to be a firefighter, farmer, police officer, or soldier.

From about then on, I had no idea what to be. Ended up being an engineer, chasing the best schooling per income ratio I could.

More days than not I think I should have listened to my 7 yr old self...

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
I wanted to be a coach, thought it would be awesome to guide and support. End up achieving a small part of that as a PT gig. Ended up in analytics working for an a**hole. Now retired, and would love to work on a farm!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron