Friday OT - I Used To Eat Sardines For Dinner

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Thanks so much to @SCyclone for this thread idea!

What was your favorite school lunch growing up? We had a chicken gravy/biscuits that I always enjoyed, and cinnamon rolls or kolaches were always a favorite.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Going up?

8a25d6a04e62167497d9b0d2956a2685_w200.gif

Definitely not the burritos.

• Funny
Reactions: Angie

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
chili with cinnamon rolls.

Loved the "homemade" buns also. Huge things that we could cut a hole in the side and burrow a hole in, then fill with many spoonfuls of grape jelly. Made it like a bismark.

I always hear of schools doing the cinnamon rolls with chili, but my school did cinnamon rolls with vegetable beef soup. We had cheddar rolls (basically a large dinner roll with shredded cheddar baked inside) with our chili and they were delicious for dipping.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Spicy chicken sandwiches. Rectangle Pizzas. Chili and cornbread was awesome. Senior year that had these things called Pizza Styx, which were marinas, cheese, and pepperoni stuffed in a garlic bread stick. Meatball sandwich was always popular. We had the option of domino's every day as well in high school. I was never a fan but French toast sticks were popular.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Hot beef gravy and mashed potatoes. Their pizza was pretty awesome too.

One of my most distinct elementary school memories is when Wonder Bread was giving away Battlestar Galactica cards, and you'd get one at lunch and they'd smell like the bread.
Hmm. So you were elementary school in 1979? Or in 2004? :D

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
A northern Iowa high school, which I will not name, was famous for their bad/strange school lunch. One of their more spectacular achievements was "burrito surprise." That's how it was listed on the day's lunch menu.

From all outward appearances, it appeared to be a normal burrito. It was a typical frozen burrito, heated up in the oven and served to hungry high school students. The surprise came when you cut/bit into it. Inside, in addition to the expected burrito filling: ground meat, beans, cheese, was a full sized hotdog. Not exactly what you'd expect in a burrito. Then came the dawning realization that hotdogs had been served for lunch the previous Friday.

The lunchroom staff had an excess of leftover hotdogs that they didn't know what to do with. So, they decided to thaw out a bunch of frozen burritos, open them up, shove a hotdog in there, close them back up again, and then cook/serve them several days later.

A few people claimed to have enjoyed them. Many, many more did not.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Ames serves a lot of "Fun Lunches" - which sort of drive me crazy as it's not exactly balanced, but our daughter is a light eater, so I guess I just have to be grateful she'll eat those days. Here's what a typical one looks like:

upload_2018-10-19_9-7-24.png

Reactions: cyrevkah