Friday OT - Favorite video game of all-time

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Best part of "Legends" was being Wolverine and clawing every single item in the game to pieces. Chairs, lockers, whatever, I left nothing un-clawed.

I had to go back and replay the game with a self-enforced "No Wolverine unless I have no choice" rule because with the healing factor it almost felt like cheating to play him. Similarly once I unlocked Storm's "chain lighting" it became a little too easy to clear out some levels. That game gets a lot harder when you're playing a Jubilee, Beast, Emma Frost, Psylocke team.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I had to go back and replay the game with a self-enforced "No Wolverine unless I have no choice" rule because with the healing factor it almost felt like cheating to play him. Similarly once I unlocked Storm's "chain lighting" it became a little too easy to clear out some levels. That game gets a lot harder when you're playing a Jubilee, Beast, Emma Frost, Psylocke team.

Oh, yeah, I don't think we ever touched any of those except Psylocke. Yeah, Storm was usually right up there, and Cyclops was usually on our team.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Oh, yeah, I don't think we ever touched any of those except Psylocke. Yeah, Storm was usually right up there, and Cyclops was usually on our team.

Did you not finish the game? I think most of them just showed up if you played long enough.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Did you not finish the game? I think most of them just showed up if you played long enough.

We did. I don't think we played as them often, though. At least I don't remember doing much more than trying them out.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I haven't ever played the newer video games. Back in the day my favorites were Missile Command, and Asteroids. Now it's Tiger Woods Golf.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I also liked Lemmings. Never finished the final puzzle though.

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
PC Civ 2 and World Circuit
PS Tiger Woods series, NCAA Football series, and Red Dead series.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
We did. I don't think we played as them often, though. At least I don't remember doing much more than trying them out.

Oh, that makes sense. I misunderstood and thought you never unlocked them.

To be fair I never did either until I got stressed out halfway through one of sophomore semesters and basically did nothing but obsessively play this game and go to class for a week or so.

Pitt_Clone

Nov 15, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
I had trouble narrowing it down:

SNES:
Donkey Kong Country 2
Super Metroid

PS1:
Metal Gear Solid
Oddworld 2: Abe's Exoddus

PS2:
Metal Gear Solid 2 (awesome game play but terrible convoluted story)
Silent Hill 2 (brilliant as has been mentioned)
Star Wars: Battlefront II
God of War
Spider-Man 2 (now that I've beaten it I just like to swing around the city once in a while)

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
I'm not a Star Wars person, but we played the **** out of Star Wars: Battlefront. I liked the first better than the second (the flying screwed me on the second), and we stopped getting them at that point.

The best part of that game was nerf herding.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
I forgot. When Command and Conquer came out around 1994, with the modem versus mode, I was hooked. Roommates couldn't make phone calls for months because we were always playing C&C against someone on dial-up. It was filthy how addictive that game was.

And then when they came out with C&C: Red Alert with network multiplayer, I had the house cabled up in no time at all, and it was even worse.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
this. You're basically watching the main character come to grips with the fact that in this world full of monsters, the biggest monster is actually him.

Spoiler alert

The series I have spent the most time playing on consoles would have to be NCAA football. I ******* hate Ed Obannon!

PC wise, I have spent probably more time playing Civilization. I think Civ4 is the best of the series.

Final Fantasy VII defined the genre for me.

Have you played V? V is great, and while I liked IV, V seems to improve most facets of the game.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Welp, no keeping my age secret...

Pong
Atari - Defender
NES -Metroid

Used to play the **** out of a Centipede at a bar my aunt worked at when I was a kid in '80-'81. Also love Galaga and will stop to play it whenever I see one which is remarkably often. There must be lots of other Galaga fans.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Welp, no keeping my age secret...

Pong
Atari - Defender
NES -Metroid

Used to play the **** out of a Centipede at a bar my aunt worked at when I was a kid in '80-'81. Also love Galaga and will stop to play it whenever I see one which is remarkably often. There must be lots of other Galaga fans.
My responses will show my age. I, too, loved centipede, but my favorite game was/is Millipede - most addicting game for me of all time. I also loved Spy Hunter, Galaga, and Defender. I also loved the ORIGINAL Star Wars arcade game where you start by shooting tie-fighters and then progress to blowing up the Death Star -- it was the next best thing to watching the movie.
View attachment 22556

Last edited:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Its a really tough call. I'm going to go with Fallout 3 though.

Close behind would be: Halo series, Civilization (probably put the most hours into 2), Skyrim, Warcraft 2\Starcraft, Mass Effect 2.