Friday OT - Favorite video game of all-time

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Too many to list.

Silent Hill 2 is way up there for me. It was a game that was operating on a whole different level than 99% of games at that time (or since, for that matter). The subject matter was so dark. And I don't think atmosphere has ever been done any better. A truly terrifying game.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
Man, i really tried to get into this and Kid Ico. I just couldn't see the appeal?

There was a lot a praise about ICO, I didn't like it. The entire game is a all about babysitting some girl.

With Shadow of the Colossus the only thing I disliked about this game was the controls were not that great.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
Too many to list.

Silent Hill 2 is way up there for me. It was a game that was operating on a whole different level than 99% of games at that time (or since, for that matter). The subject matter was so dark. And I don't think atmosphere has ever been done any better. A truly terrifying game.

Silent Hill 2 is the best "horror" game ever made imo. That game gave me nightmares after I played it.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Baseball Stars loved how you could build a team and buy players.

RBI Baseball

Super TecmoBowl

WCW Nitro on N64

Mario Cart 64

NCAA College Basektball on N64... Game had the old Big 8 teams on it. Had a bunch of defenses to change to on fly and offensive play sets. I could spend hours still playing that game.

Nitro would be towards the bottom of wrestling games for me. Why wouldn't you at least go WCW/NWO Revenge?

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the winner of the Arcade Game category: it's got to be....

Cyberball! Or Berserk. Or Defender. Or OutRun. ****. I just don't know.

mfelske

Mar 20, 2006
Wisconsin
Duke Nukem 3D and Donkey Kong are my top 2. I play DK all the time on my MAME cabinet. Easily 2:1 compared to the other 100+ games combined. And Duke was awesome when it came out.

Honorable Mention: Half Life.

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Perfect dark was 100x better than goldeneye.

The only things PD brought to the table were simAI in multiplayer (4 player game with one Dark VengeSim was probably the most fun I had playing any 64 game post Goldeneye) and customizable characters. The storyline itself was visually cool at the time but really had some flow issues once you met Elvis. First few levels... definitely great. Goldeneye on the other hand, got better as the game went on. Without Goldeneye there is no PD.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Silent Hill 2 is the best "horror" game ever made imo. That game gave me nightmares after I played it.

this. You're basically watching the main character come to grips with the fact that in this world full of monsters, the biggest monster is actually him.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
The series I have spent the most time playing on consoles would have to be NCAA football. I ******* hate Ed Obannon!

PC wise, I have spent probably more time playing Civilization. I think Civ4 is the best of the series.

Final Fantasy VII defined the genre for me.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I really liked the X:Men Legends games as well. It's too bad the second Ultimate Alliance sucked.

My other two personal favorites would be Dig Dug and WWF: No Mercy.

X-Men Legends was excellent!

Now I should add Knights of the Old Republic (I like both games), and the Force Unleashed.

Not the sequel to the Force Unleashed. That one had really fun gameplay, but it really amounted to nothing because the game was so short. But, they took my money, so hats off to them.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
The series I have spent the most time playing on consoles would have to be NCAA football. I ******* hate Ed Obannon!

PC wise, I have spent probably more time playing Civilization. I think Civ4 is the best of the series.

Final Fantasy VII defined the genre for me.

Civ V has grown on me over time, but I can't speak for the whole series because I never played anything older than IV.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
X-Men Legends was excellent!

Now I should add Knights of the Old Republic (I like both games), and the Force Unleashed.

Not the sequel to the Force Unleashed. That one had really fun gameplay, but it really amounted to nothing because the game was so short. But, they took my money, so hats off to them.

I got about 90% of the way into KOTR, and SOMEONE to whom I'm married, who shall remain nameless, ruined the surprise ending for me. I never finished it. I do sort of like the RPGs like that a lot - Fable was very good, Jade Empire wasn't terrible, and I just loved the Mass Effect series.

I'm not a Star Wars person, but we played the **** out of Star Wars: Battlefront. I liked the first better than the second (the flying screwed me on the second), and we stopped getting them at that point.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I really liked the X:Men Legends games as well. It's too bad the second Ultimate Alliance sucked.

My other two personal favorites would be Dig Dug and WWF: No Mercy.

Best part of "Legends" was being Wolverine and clawing every single item in the game to pieces. Chairs, lockers, whatever, I left nothing un-clawed.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I got about 90% of the way into KOTR, and SOMEONE to whom I'm married, who shall remain nameless, ruined the surprise ending for me. I never finished it. I do sort of like the RPGs like that a lot - Fable was very good, Jade Empire wasn't terrible, and I just loved the Mass Effect series.

I'm not a Star Wars person, but we played the **** out of Star Wars: Battlefront. I liked the first better than the second (the flying screwed me on the second), and we stopped getting them at that point.

You were already past the surprise!
The ending, though, was not my most glorious moment. I couldn't manage to win straight up, so I saved the galaxy with various hand grenades.