Friday OT- Dirty Jobs

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Thank you for doing that, as I was just coming to post something inane that I didn’t have prepped!

My very first job was at a Casey’s in a small town near Carroll. Part of the duties included cleaning the bathroom each day. It was very horrifying to my very young mind what people would do in a public bathroom.
Mine too but it was the Ogden Casey’s!

• Winner
Reactions: Angie

1TwistedCyclone

Jan 16, 2024
Cedar Falls
First job at 16, worked at Pizza Ranch, had to clean the bathrooms each night before close. All you can eat means jettison extra stomach cargo mid-meal to clear room to fully get your money's worth at the buffet.

Everything related to making the chicken was filthy and gross.

• Agree
Reactions: madguy30

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I worked at a small factory a couple summers, doing "maintenance". Cheapest place ever. They didn't replace air filters, since those were like 50 cents each, so I got to remove them, blow them out, and put them back. The structural integrity of a 50 cent air filter is pretty shaky after the 10th time you blow it out and shove back in place, its basically like using a paper towel as a cardboard box.

But the gross part was, to save money on waste disposal, they baled recyclables like cardboard and the plastic scraps from the mfr lines (fine) but also the GARBAGE. Yep, dumped trash cans into the baler, crushed it and banded it, then forked it into the dumpster. Because if you didn't, might have to pay $20 for an extra dumpster per month. Most of it wasn't bad, but people would sometimes throw in a half full can of pop or other food, and it would stink and slop over when crushed and make a mess. It wasn't as bad as half of what people describe above, but it was gross nonetheless.

I will say, I think everyone should have one gross, dirty, or just hard-as-hell job when they are young. Talk about a motivator, and it also gives you a sense of appreciation for whatever you are doing now.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I shoveled a lot of cow manure at the dairy farm across the road. Going up into the hay mow to store freshly baled hay was pretty dirty.

dawgpound

Retired Billy the Barnstormer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2011
Des Moines, iowa
I worked at my hometown can redemption in high school because it actually paid pretty decent at the time. I saw so many gross things, chew spit spilled every where, dead rodents, dead cockroaches, you name it. The smell from bags that sat out in the heat of the summer still haunt my dreams lol

Reactions: KnappShack

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Small job but replaced the sink stopper in our first house. Whoever installed it did not put any kind of seal around the outside ring.

When I pulled the old one out it was just caked with old makeup and various forms of humanity. My wife had to leave the room.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
A fellow former Pizza Ranch employee here. I hated cleaning out the filters for the fryers. Which to this day, if I ever own a restaurant, I will not have fryers.

Funny enough, I have a huge smoker and I clean it out regularly due to volume cooking which it can get pretty greasy which I don’t mind cleaning that. Maybe because that is more of a labor of love.

Reactions: 1TwistedCyclone

do4CY

Aug 30, 2020
I have been covered in pig poop from head to toe more times than I care to admit. One of the first times was when I was a kid my dad had double decker nurseries where the top deck was half the size of the bottom so when you loaded out the pigs you took the bottom deck first. The pigs in the top deck didn't care you were below them.

Worse than that is cleaning out rotten feed or corn. It's usually hot so you are sweating, the rotten stuff is wet and nasty, but at the same time you get covered in dust. I have pulled my arm out of a bin opening and it looked like it was moving because it was covered in maggots. Good times

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Dairy is so full of nasty things. Gangrene mastitis comes to mind. Pulling a calf that became deceased a couple days prior is not a good time. They come out in pieces and it doesn't smell fresh.

Having to move dead animals of a variety of sorts was unpleasant.

Sometimes we didn't have to do the moving; we'd just find chickens torn up in some shed.

Off the off topic but we came home later one night to find the yard scattered with white goose feathers. It was never clear if it was raccoons or coyotes; we lived close to the road so probably raccoons. Pretty heinous stuff.

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
Way off the beaten path here, but I did quite a few taxidermy mounts which were Euro mounts of deer skulls done by the boiling method. You pretty much have to manually remove the eyeballs and tongue before you start . . .and you need a different mindset to get past that point. I often thought that adding salt and pepper to the boiling skull would make the odor approach that of stew simmering on the cooktop but that was not the case. After boiling for a while it is necessary to remove the brain through a half inch diameter hole in the base of the skull in which the spinal cord passes through. Use your imagination :puke::puke::puke:

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
When I first got into teaching, I had my summers off, so I went back to work at the summer camp I grew up at.
The only position they had available was Assistant Ranger, which is basically maintenance.
I learned a lot that summer, but the biggest one was the importance of keeping things moving in toilets in shower houses.

The worst was when a kid, for reasons that still baffle me to this day, decided to flush a t-shirt down the toilet, which he was only successful at because we had put in high pressure flushing toilets (you can probably guess why).
The shirt got stuck further down in the plumbing and caused the entire shower house to back up. The toilet couldn't effectively flush, but rather then letting someone know about it, we weren't informed for almost 2 days.
The "pile" was above the rim by that point.
The t-shirt had done its work, and there was 4 inches of grey water with who knows what on the floor by that point.
God bless high quality waterproof boots.
Fun fact: we figured out that the shower house, one of the original buildings on camp property, still had functioning Orangeburg pipe, which by estimates was over 50 years old at that point.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Worked in the meat department in some grocery stores part time in HS and college so part of the nightly cleanup was cleaning all the machines and meat room. None of that grosses me out. 1 store was working the evening shift and some guy apparently threw up all over in the bathroom, the shift manager offered anyone willing to clean it up he'd let you off early and still clock you out like you worked the whole shift. I grew up on a farm so I've seen some pretty gruesome stuff so some vommit doesn't gross me out so I cleaned that up in no time and got off work over 2 hours before my shift ended and still got paid for it.

On the farm I've seen dead animals that critters have already started to eat on before we discovered them, watched a cow gradually die over several days juat standing in a creek of what was likely rabies from something that bit her, found cattle dead the morning after a storm that lightning had struck, along with other gruesome injuries and such. Not much bothers me after seeing that kind of stuff growing up.

Lyon309Cy

Sep 5, 2010
I have some of the general dead-farm-animal type grossness, but probably my worst experience was as an appliance repairman. Showed up to fix a dryer that was 'making a thumping noise.' The entire house stunk as I came in the door, no big deal, plenty of houses like that, but the smell got worse as I got closer to the dryer. I about lost it when I opened the dryer door. Found a decaying chipmunk wrapped around the fan wheel. Note to everyone - make sure your dryer vent has a cap on it where it exits the house.
Off the top of my head, my top 3 dirty but not gross jobs are sorting through burnt copper wire, stacking hay in the barn, and anything to do with insulation. Probably forgetting some, there weren't many clean days growing up farming, junking, or tearing down houses.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Anyone ever had a job of cleaning up crime scenes? Or worse yet. cleaning adult movie sets?

Reactions: JP4CY

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Worked in the meat department in some grocery stores part time in HS and college so part of the nightly cleanup was cleaning all the machines and meat room. None of that grosses me out. 1 store was working the evening shift and some guy apparently threw up all over in the bathroom, the shift manager offered anyone willing to clean it up he'd let you off early and still clock you out like you worked the whole shift. I grew up on a farm so I've seen some pretty gruesome stuff so some vommit doesn't gross me out so I cleaned that up in no time and got off work over 2 hours before my shift ended and still got paid for it.

On the farm I've seen dead animals that critters have already started to eat on before we discovered them, watched a cow gradually die over several days juat standing in a creek of what was likely rabies from something that bit her, found cattle dead the morning after a storm that lightning had struck, along with other gruesome injuries and such. Not much bothers me after seeing that kind of stuff growing up.

an episode of Dr. Quinn and rabies still haunts me but do animals not get the hydrophobia? I remember thinking we had a calf with rabies once but it was actually an allergic reaction - she was guzzling water like no tomorrow and so much foam coming from her mouth.

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
I have some of the general dead-farm-animal type grossness, but probably my worst experience was as an appliance repairman. Showed up to fix a dryer that was 'making a thumping noise.' The entire house stunk as I came in the door, no big deal, plenty of houses like that, but the smell got worse as I got closer to the dryer. I about lost it when I opened the dryer door. Found a decaying chipmunk wrapped around the fan wheel. Note to everyone - make sure your dryer vent has a cap on it where it exits the house.
Off the top of my head, my top 3 dirty but not gross jobs are sorting through burnt copper wire, stacking hay in the barn, and anything to do with insulation. Probably forgetting some, there weren't many clean days growing up farming, junking, or tearing down houses.
Been there done that. Just back from a week long fishing trip with the wife and kid and was helping by doing the laundry. First load outta the washer and in the dryer, and when I went back to check if it was done I noticed a god awful smell. Turns out a half grown cat made it from the vent exhaust to the lint trap at the back of the dryer and expired there. Several handfuls of maggots and cat parts later I got it cleaned out but the smell lasted several loads after that.

• Puke
Reactions: NWICY