Friday OT- Dirty Jobs

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Going rogue because I just thought of a topic- what are the dirtiest, grossest jobs that you have had to do, either at work or somewhere else?
Thank you for doing that, as I was just coming to post something inane that I didn’t have prepped!

My very first job was at a Casey’s in a small town near Carroll. Part of the duties included cleaning the bathroom each day. It was very horrifying to my very young mind what people would do in a public bathroom.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Thank you for doing that, as I was just coming to post something inane that I didn’t have prepped!

My very first job was at a Casey’s in a small town near Carroll. Part of the duties included cleaning the bathroom each day. It was very horrifying to my very young mind what people would do in a public bathroom.

There's a meme of a guy with his hands on the door and feet on the wall. Firing at both ends.

That does seem to be the way people use public restrooms.

I cleaned toilets when I was saving for college. How some folks live is....amazing.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Going rogue because I just thought of a topic- what are the dirtiest, grossest jobs that you have had to do, either at work or somewhere else?
Easily working in an egg hatchery in Bancroft , Iowa, one summer when I was in college. Spent most of the time in the wash room, cleaning the plastic racks that the eggs sit in while they're incubating. Every single one of them is covered in a combination of egg yolk, egg shells, feces and blood. There's kind of an industrial dishwasher that you have to put them through, but it doesn't do the job very well, so after they've been through, you have to use a high pressure sprayer to get the rest off. It's hot and tedious and wet, and you get covered in that nasty gunk as the day goes on.
When I wasn't doing that, I had to go check the incubators. Some of them had mechanisms that would automatically flip over the trays of eggs while they incubated, which was a necessary step. For others, you had to manually flip them. They had eyewash stations positioned outside every other incubator, and as part of the training, you had to practice finding one with a blindfold on. Why? Because when you flipped a tray, there was a roughly 50% chance that one or more of the eggs would be rotten and they would explode, shooting disgusting muck everywhere. It wasn't a matter of "if" you were going to get hit in the face with rotten egg every day. Just a matter of "when.".
Definitely the dirtiest job I've ever had. But they paid me in cash every day. I was never so glad to go back to school, though.

JEFF420

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 6, 2014
Michigan
I worked for ServePro out of high school...... sewer backups, pulling soaked carpets.... we also did biowork. nothing like the smell of week old brains in a 90 degree house. luckily the bodies were all gone by the time we showed up.

$12/ hour

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Does 'grubby' or 'worst' jobs count?

I worked at Iowa concrete in SE CR one summer. It wasn't gross but the dust and concrete mix would get all over some days.

It was also just kind of a naturally toxic work environment. Lots of folks with anger issues from hard backgrounds that were 40 but looked 55.

I also developed some carpel tunnel type stuff in my forearms that was really painful. At the end of the summer I left to start substitute teaching which was A)far less stressful and B) paid better.

It was a good experience though to see how cattle passes etc. are built and to get an appreciation for how much work goes into that sort of thing.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'm sure I have shared this before, but at my old house (1920's era), I had plumbing issues.

Plumbing issue #1: The toilet wouldn't drain. Snaked it a couple times and got it to go. Then it stopped cold. Pulled the toilet and snaked the drain directly a few times (always seemed to happen right before bed for some reason). Finally started pulling out chunks of fur. A squirrel had gone down the vent and died between my toilet and the main line. Took several attempts to get him out, bit by bit :puke:

Plumbing issue #2: Everything drained slowly, and whenever we used a lot of water, the kitchen would smell of sewer gas. Finally after exhausting all options, I went down into the 18" dirt crawl space (less than 12" in some places). Belly crawled to that end of the house, dug out a hole under a main beam that was too tight to get under. Found out that sewage had been leaking out all over under the kitchen. Rather than lay in it to dig, I pulled my kitchen cabinets, cut out the subfloor and dropped down to dig a 4' x 4' x 4' hole down to where it went outside the house, hauling pee/poop filled buckets of dirt out. Finally got down to the proper level and found that the problem was outside :eek:. Had a hire a guy to go out and replace a section where the clay pipe had collapsed out there.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
It is disgusting how slippery floors around fryers at fast food places can get.

Dirtiest though was working at a quarry in my mid 20s. Drove a pit truck which is mind numbingly boring but at the end of every day we had to scoop out the dust under the first crusher. Not hard but dirty for sure. Another one that again wasn't hard but you had to be careful or you would get very messy was washing the truck at the end of the week.

Reactions: Angie

ackatch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 22, 2021
Waukee
Through high school and part of college I worked at Dahl's and was primarily in the Dairy department, which also entailed me having to take care of the can and bottle return room. Some of the stuff that people would bring in could gag a maggot. I often had to climb into the machines to un-jam them, and let me just say... I saw some ****.

In college - I got a part time gig at Waste Management (through my dad who worked for them at the time) doing PM (preventative maintenance) on the trucks. First day - had to do a PM on a truck that had stopped and gotten a bunch of rotten chicken in the back but couldn't make it to the landfill. The in the winter the trucks would come in from the land fill and melt off the snow while I was under it greasing and checking things. I learned a decent amount, but it was... nasty, but also paid for vodka.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Worked at a grocery store through high school and sometimes during the evening shift after the meat department guys left, I'd have to clean the meat room. Take apart the big meat grinder and wash all the parts and the tub. Clean all the saws, blades, knives. Wash down and squeegy the floor. It was like a steam bath in there with all of the blazing hot water I'd be hosing everything down with and it felt like I was picking out raw bits of meat out of my nails and hair for the next three days.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Easily working in an egg hatchery in Bancroft , Iowa, one summer when I was in college. Spent most of the time in the wash room, cleaning the plastic racks that the eggs sit in while they're incubating. Every single one of them is covered in a combination of egg yolk, egg shells, feces and blood. There's kind of an industrial dishwasher that you have to put them through, but it doesn't do the job very well, so after they've been through, you have to use a high pressure sprayer to get the rest off. It's hot and tedious and wet, and you get covered in that nasty gunk as the day goes on.
When I wasn't doing that, I had to go check the incubators. Some of them had mechanisms that would automatically flip over the trays of eggs while they incubated, which was a necessary step. For others, you had to manually flip them. They had eyewash stations positioned outside every other incubator, and as part of the training, you had to practice finding one with a blindfold on. Why? Because when you flipped a tray, there was a roughly 50% chance that one or more of the eggs would be rotten and they would explode, shooting disgusting muck everywhere. It wasn't a matter of "if" you were going to get hit in the face with rotten egg every day. Just a matter of "when.".
Definitely the dirtiest job I've ever had. But they paid me in cash every day. I was never so glad to go back to school, though.
1718369571580.png

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

I did maintenance/custodial work in college and then bussed/barbacked at a Granite City and would need to stock and clean bathrooms. How does it get so bad? What happened that someone couldn't get that into there?

Otherwise I have taught in an elementary for several years and every fall there's a kinder or two that has an accident because they don't know to ask or are afraid to ask because they don't remember where the bathroom is.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
Cleaning the bathroom at a small brewery. People are disgusting. How do people miss the toilet? Why did someone choose to throw up in the urinal? How do men lose so many pubes while peeing? These are questions that haunt me.

JP4CY

Doesn't quickly stand up when the plane lands.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
This is the Napoleon Dynamite plot.

Reactions: BCClone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It is disgusting how slippery floors around fryers at fast food places can get.

Dirtiest though was working at a quarry in my mid 20s. Drove a pit truck which is mind numbingly boring but at the end of every day we had to scoop out the dust under the first crusher. Not hard but dirty for sure. Another one that again wasn't hard but you had to be careful or you would get very messy was washing the truck at the end of the week.

Worked at a Pizza Ranch once. Aside from this, their broasted chicken will never not be gross to me after handling that much raw meat and getting that broasted grease stench soaked into my nostrils.