Friday OT - Desert Island Band

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I've always been a Smiths guy, but a lifetime of them and nothing but them alone on an island would drive me to engineer a potato gun and just end it all, which might be for the best. R.E.M. would be a contender, but everything after "Document" basically sucks so that would render more than half of their catalogue useless. Pavement is right up there.

But if I can have one and only one, I'm going with The Replacements.

REM was up there for me, too, but definitely earlier stuff. They have longevity, but I don't really need all of the sadsack stuff.

CynadoAlley

Nov 28, 2010
Siouxland
Would say Mumford and Sons, but their collection of songs isn't large enough to last me. Otherwise, this is a tough one. Most of the bands I like either don't have a large collection of songs, or went to **** after a certain album.

I'll go with Foo Fighters. Large collection, wide range of sound from the self title album to say, Echoes Silence Patience and Grace. And if the band is there in person, Dave Grohl can teach me multiple instruments.

Reactions: Angie

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
If it's the actual band, then I'm going with Psy, and he's bringing his dance crew with him. He can go sit and sing on the other end of the island while I entertain the dancers.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Great list, but I have to disagree a bit. Having been a big REM fan since the mid-80's, I disagree with your assessment that everything after Document sucks. I'm not saying that "Up" or "Collapse Into Now" (they kinda suck) is the second coming of "Reckoning", but there are some great songs after Document on "Green" and "Out of Time".
For me, "Monster" is actually a pretty underrated album and is way better than "Fables of the Reconstruction". "New Adventures in Hi-Fi" will also surprise you.

With all that said, "Life's Rich Pageant" is my all-time favorite with "Reckoning" being a close second.

I love the Replacements and they still put on a great show, but their catalog is even more limited.

Just one guys opinion.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Great list, but I have to disagree a bit. Having been a big REM fan since the mid-80's, I disagree with your assessment that everything after Document sucks. I'm not saying that "Up" or "Collapse Into Now" (they kinda suck) is the second coming of "Reckoning", but there are some great songs after Document on "Green" and "Out of Time".
For me, "Monster" is actually a pretty underrated album and is way better than "Fables of the Reconstruction". "New Adventures in Hi-Fi" will also surprise you.

With all that said, "Life's Rich Pageant" is my all-time favorite with "Reckoning" being a close second.

I love the Replacements and they still put on a great show, but their catalog is even more limited.

Just one guys opinion.

I agree with both of these, love them both. Our first wedding dance was actually to "Strange Currencies" - just both great albums.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

Just one guys opinion.

My sweeping generalization probably was a bit over the top. I've always loved Crush With Eyeliner. Agree with you on Life's Rich Pageant, my favorite as well. And while the Replacements catalogue is limited, there isn't a bad one in the bunch and I like that if I want to rock out I've got Bastards of the Young, if I want to get weepy I've got Answering Machine, if I want to ponder I've got Here Comes a Regular. And there's never a bad time to listen to The Ledge. They've got all the moods and emotions covered.

ISUME

Mar 13, 2012
Eric Clapton or Joe Walsh, just hanging out relaxing on the beach.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The White Stripes. When we get rescued we might just leave Meg on the island...

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
So let me get this strait...I get to take 1 band with me, and we are all alone on a desert island? In that case....give me Carrie Underwood...LOL.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Somehow your life goes all Gilligan and you get stuck on a desert island for the remainder of it. (Let's say, 15 years.) You have to choose one band - you can take their entire catalog of songs and albums, but ONLY that band.

Who do you choose? Do you go quantity over quality, or vice versa?

This is what makes the scenario so interesting and also why (while not my favorite band) I'd be inclined to chose the Rolling Stones also. Huge catalog with some very high points.

My heart would probably say Pink Floyd but I've heard every note of their catalog many times already.

Would bootlegs count? If so I might consider the Dead...

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
This is what makes the scenario so interesting and also why (while not my favorite band) I'd be inclined to chose the Rolling Stones also. Huge catalog with some very high points.

My heart would probably say Pink Floyd but I've heard every note of their catalog many times already.

Would bootlegs count? If so I might consider the Dead...

I definitely think bootlegs count. It just makes sense - it was them playing music together. Demos would be in for me, too.

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
I'm going with Katy Perry because if we're the only ones on the island, eventually I could get lucky.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
The Mosquitoes

[video]http://wn.com/gilligan%27s_island_,_the_mosquitoes[/video]

Or possibly the Honey Bees if we get to bring their musical accompanyment record for them to sing along with.

(Bonus: If you watch the video you see they (Mosquitoes) have electric instruments but don't even need them plugged in to get actual electrified sounds!)

Last edited:

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
My first thought is the Beatles.

But like whoever said "Pink Floyd" but their whole catalog is already so ingrained in their head it might be better to pick something else - I kinda feel the same.

How about Van Morrison with the inclusion of the early Them group stuff? Everything from Garage to R&B/Soul, Rock and Gospel.

Last edited: