Friday OT - Contests

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
What are the weirdest/coolest/most unique contests you've ever entered? I really want to know if people actually enter pie-eating contests.

What contests/raffles have you won?

Last edited:

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
What are the weirdest/coolest/most unique contests you've ever entered? I really want to know if people actually enter pie-eating contests.

What contests/raffles have you won?

Through work I've done my fair share of <insert food>eating contests. Most recently it was ice cream, but have done pie, wing too.

Haven't ever won but did finish a close second on ice cream.

Now if it was beer chugging I'd win every time.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Through work I've done my fair share of <insert food>eating contests. Most recently it was ice cream, but have done pie, wing too.

Haven't ever won but did finish a close second on ice cream.

Now if it was beer chugging I'd win every time.

How do you prep for a competitive eating contest? Not eat beforehand? Practice some in advance?

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
I entered a milk drinking contest. The goal was how fast a person could drink a gallon of milk and keep it down. I drank the gallon in half an hour and felt fine. Two other people made it under the hour time limit but they puked. At that time in my life I was drinking over a gallon of milk a day anyways so I was a lock to win that thing.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I'm a two-time champ for a cow judging contest (1st place individual, then 1st place team (I was 2nd overall, 1st was a teammate) at our office, and three if you count the time I was a coach for ISU's team that won.

The year I won sucked because I should have been 2nd place in the nation which results in a box of awesome cheese, but the contest people lost all the cards for my company. Figures the time I win something, it still doesn't pan out.

We're going for three in a row because free pizza.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I once had a chinchilla that won "cutest pet" at a local fair....

Personally, I did well in spelling contests as a kid. But those SCRIPPS kids today would have kicked my ***

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
A number of years ago during that spring college festival that no longer exists (not-so-subtle complaint), they had a massive Twister game on central campus. They used somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 mats, with all of the games going simultaneously. As people were eliminated they condensed us onto fewer & fewer mats. I made it to the final game. I didn't win (took 2nd or 3rd, can't remember), but that's not bad considering I was a very short person in my 30s competing against college guys. My strategy was simple. I kept myself contained, and let them knock each other out of the game. :)

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I entered a milk drinking contest. The goal was how fast a person could drink a gallon of milk and keep it down. I drank the gallon in half an hour and felt fine. Two other people made it under the hour time limit but they puked. At that time in my life I was drinking over a gallon of milk a day anyways so I was a lock to win that thing.

milk-was-a-bad-choice-o.gif

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I once had a chinchilla that won "cutest pet" at a local fair....

Personally, I did well in spelling contests as a kid. But those SCRIPPS kids today would have kicked my ***

Yeah, I am similar. I was in the SCRIPPS regional and state spelling bee in Iowa in middle school. I got fourth place at state - SO close to moving to nationals, but oh well. No white polo shirt for me.

Last edited:

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
When bowling in High School I got a strike with the green pin in front which meant I won a bag of chips.

Yeah, I've got nothing on this.

Reactions: Angie

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
When I was a kid, I won a turkey on a radio contest before Thanksgiving. You had to find out where in the U.S. they hid the "turkey", and they would give one clue a day.

I was (and probably still am) a nerd, and found great joy in reading various encyclopedias(-pediae?) and the atlas we owned. I had stumbled across an interestingly named town one time.

The answer was Truth or Consequences, NM.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I'm a two-time champ for a cow judging contest (1st place individual, then 1st place team (I was 2nd overall, 1st was a teammate) at our office, and three if you count the time I was a coach for ISU's team that won.

The year I won sucked because I should have been 2nd place in the nation which results in a box of awesome cheese, but the contest people lost all the cards for my company. Figures the time I win something, it still doesn't pan out.

We're going for three in a row because free pizza.

Screw trophies and prize money. EVERY contest's top prize should be a box of cheese

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
When I was 10ish, I entered our family in a Frito Lay contest at Fareway. Our name got picked and our family won 3 bags of Tostitos/Doritos/Ruffles a week for a year. Also 3 jars a week of salsa/cheese dip for the year.

I was so excited, my mom wasn't mad but wasn't ecstatic about it. She was bringing a lot of it to work to make sure that I wasn't using chips as my sole food intake over the summer.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Screw trophies and prize money. EVERY contest's top prize should be a box of cheese

It was WI cheese too. I'm still ****** that I didn't get that damn cheese. Our company does a pizza party for the winning team/individual within our office, but still, that box of cheese would be awesome.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
About 10 years ago I was training for a marathon so I would enter a lot of local 5 and 10k's. There was a 5k down in Knoxville that was a predictor race where you take off your watch and guess your time. I guessed a time of of 24:00 and I was the first person ever to hit the exact time down to the second. I believe the closest before was something like 9 seconds. I was good at pacing but this was just pure luck.

I won a frozen turkey. As a side prize my wife got harassed by some old guy at the VA hospital while waiting for me to finish.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I won a 10 day trip to Hawai'i.

The good old employee holiday party. Pulled my name out of the drum and off I went

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
A couple of my most favorites:

The Donut Run: It was put on by the ISU Triathlon Club. You'd run a 5k and get time off for each donut you ate.

Once Upon a Time Scavenger Hunt: It was a timed scavenger hunt through a bunch of bars in downtown Denver. You could win with the best costume or the best time. It was pretty awesome.

The one contest I really want to enter in the next couple of years is the Hooligan race at FiBARK (First in a Boat on the Arkansas). You just build a ghetto boat and try to make it through the rapids in Salida.

It wasn't really a contest, but once I was challenged to eat three Chipotle burritos in 45 minutes. I did it in 27 and washed them down with an ice cold Busch Light.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
3rd place at my hometown's 4th of July fest talent show when I was 10yo. Played "The Entertainer" on the piano, and beat out some rock bands and adult singers. I won $15.

1st place, woodwind division, for a state competition held by the convention my church belonged to. The prize was a $400 scholarship to a choice of 6 colleges "approved" by the convention. I went to nationals held in Des Moines, but didn't win. If I had, it would have been a full year's tuition.

The biggest thing I can think of winning was in the Chicago area, back in the 80's, a top 40 station would call random phone numbers once an hour, and whoever answered the phone would be asked "What's your favorite radio station?" If you gave the station's call letters, you won $1,000. Out of however many million phone numbers, it selected ours, and I happened to be at home when my mom answered. I had run downstairs to see who was on the phone, heard my mom repeat the question, and about screamed the answer at her. Pretty awesome for a 12 year old.

I saw someone win a PT Cruiser at a Nebraska-Omaha hockey game. (Back when PT Cruisers just came out) A woman had to hit a hockey puck from the red line into the goal, but the goal was covered by a board with a hole at ice level probably only an inch wider than the puck. I remember thinking "Ooo. That puck has a little english on it." Arena exploded when the puck went through.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
3rd place at my hometown's 4th of July fest talent show when I was 10yo. Played "The Entertainer" on the piano, and beat out some rock bands and adult singers. I won $15.

1st place, woodwind division, for a state competition held by the convention my church belonged to. The prize was a $400 scholarship to a choice of 6 colleges "approved" by the convention. I went to nationals held in Des Moines, but didn't win. If I had, it would have been a full year's tuition.

The biggest thing I can think of winning was in the Chicago area, back in the 80's, a top 40 station would call random phone numbers once an hour, and whoever answered the phone would be asked "What's your favorite radio station?" If you gave the station's call letters, you won $1,000. Out of however many million phone numbers, it selected ours, and I happened to be at home when my mom answered. I had run downstairs to see who was on the phone, heard my mom repeat the question, and about screamed the answer at her. Pretty awesome for a 12 year old.

I saw someone win a PT Cruiser at a Nebraska-Omaha hockey game. (Back when PT Cruisers just came out) A woman had to hit a hockey puck from the red line into the goal, but the goal was covered by a board with a hole at ice level probably only an inch wider than the puck. I remember thinking "Ooo. That puck has a little english on it." Arena exploded when the puck went through.

The only thing I ever won off the radio was an REM cassette tape back in the mid-to-late 90s. $1000 wins!