Friday OT - Best/Worst Spinoff Series

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I think you could have a similar discussion about whether TNG is a spin off of Star Trek in the traditional sense. At any rate I'd consider TNG and DS9 among the best spin-offs and Voyager amongst the worst.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Another one I liked was Stargate Universe. I just liked that they removed some of the cheese from the other ones and made it more of a drama in space. It set it apart. Loved the cast too.

Firefighter4Cy

Oct 23, 2012
Ankeny
I would say Saved By The Bell is a re-tooling and Saved By The Bell: The College Years would be the spin-off. Only a few of the main cast stuck around (Zach, Kelly (mmm), AC, and Screech). However, even that is a bit of a stretch. More like a continuation.

I have debunked my own theory. :eek:

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Awesome: Laff-a-Lympics

Good-Recent: Colbert Report, Frasier

Good-Older: The Jeffersons, Mork and Mindy, Lavergne and Shirley

Bad: Joey, Three's a Crowd, Jonie Loves Chachi

Really bad: The Tortellis (from Cheers)

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I would say Saved By The Bell is a re-tooling and Saved By The Bell: The College Years would be the spin-off. Only a few of the main cast stuck around (Zach, Kelly (mmm), AC, and Screech). However, even that is a bit of a stretch. More like a continuation.

I have debunked my own theory. :eek:

There's still Saved By the Bell: The New Class!!!

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I have to agree with the Joannie Loves Chachi. Bad.

Did anyone remember that the Andy Griffith Show was spun off of Make Room for Danny? Or possibly it was the Danny Thomas show by then. Somewhere I saw the original sketch/show.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Only during the CF offseason could we get an argument on whether Saved By the Bell was a spin off.

I have to agree that Fraiser was probably one of the best spin offs made.

If only someone with a Kelly Kapowski avatar could chime in.....

Edit : damn, I'm good

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I know some may not have liked Saved by the Bell: The College Years, but I think it had it's moments, it also had Tiffani Amber Thiessen.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Wasn't there some awful cosby show spinoffs without cosby?

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Wasn't there some awful cosby show spinoffs without cosby?

A Different World was a Cosby Show spinoff with Denise at college. It was on for a while, even inexplicably after Denise left. Dwayne Wayne had those rocking flip-up sunglasses.

I can't think of any others, though, offhand. Man, I loved the Cosby Show in the early seasons, before Raven Symone ruined it.

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
I have to agree with the Joannie Loves Chachi. Bad.

Did anyone remember that the Andy Griffith Show was spun off of Make Room for Danny? Or possibly it was the Danny Thomas show by then. Somewhere I saw the original sketch/show.

......And don't forget these spin-offs from the Andy Griffith show..... All failures, I believe.
andy.JPG

Edit: I think Gomer Pyle actually did well.

Last edited: