Friday OT - Best Series Finale

Clone1138

Apr 18, 2013
Central Iowa
I have a hard time narrowing it down to just one. Here are some of my favorites, a few of which have already been mentioned:

The Shield. As mentioned above, Mackey just sitting at that desk kills me. Still not over Lem's death.
The Sopranos. A perfect end to a near-perfect show.
Friday Night Lights. Love this show so much. Perfect ending.
Buffy The Vampire Slayer. Lord of the Rings-style epic battle at the end.
Star Trek: The Next Generation. Easily the most satisfying finale I've seen.
Battlestar Galactica (2004). Not a lot of people liked it, but I loved how it ended and the twist about Earth.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I have a hard time narrowing it down to just one. Here are some of my favorites, a few of which have already been mentioned:

The Shield. As mentioned above, Mackey just sitting at that desk kills me. Still not over Lem's death.
The Sopranos. A perfect end to a near-perfect show.
Friday Night Lights. Love this show so much. Perfect ending.
Buffy The Vampire Slayer. Lord of the Rings-style epic battle at the end.
Star Trek: The Next Generation. Easily the most satisfying finale I've seen.
Battlestar Galactica (2004). Not a lot of people liked it, but I loved how it ended and the twist about Earth.

I'm sorry but season 7 of Buffy is really bad compared to the rest of the run and the horrible CGI in that finale ruins it for me. Now, if the show had wrapped up in season 5....

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Seinfeld and Friends were so god awful by the end that their turd endings were just a cherry on top.

Sopranos or Newhart for the win.

I don't agree with Seinfeld being awful by the end. Butter Shave (maybe my favorite episode), Serenity Now, Frogger, Merv Griffin, the bookstore taking the book in the bathroom and the meat slicer were all in the last season. The earliest episodes are hit or miss, season 3-9 are all consistently excellent imho.

Seeing George fake being handicapped around his office while they play that "my baby takes the morning train" song, maybe my favorite moment of the series.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Breaking Bad for best.

How I Met Your Mother for worst. Dishonorable mention to St. Elsewhere, Roseanne, Chuck.

I've never watched St. Elsewhere but is that where it was all a dream? That's brutal whatever series I'm thinking of where they did that.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
I loved Psych but thought the last season was kind of meh. The Finale itself was outstanding though. The Office I felt like the show had outlived itself but the last 6 or so episodes were great and they hit the Finale out of the park which made me really wish it wasn't over.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I've never watched St. Elsewhere but is that where it was all a dream? That's brutal whatever series I'm thinking of where they did that.

Entire series was the imagination of an autistic kid staring into a snow globe with a hospital in it. His dad was really a construction worker, not the doctor we had seen for years.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
St. Elsewhere ended with the impression that the autistic son of the main doctor had imagined the entire series. It was one of those you either liked or disliked. I fall in the like category.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Entire series was the imagination of an autistic kid staring into a snow globe with a hospital in it. His dad was really a construction worker, not the doctor we had seen for years.

Oh man…it would almost be worth it for a popular series to end like that again just to watch the reaction of others.

Turns out Daenerys Targaryan is just a little girl in Arkansas drawing pictures and writing stories in spiral notebook. The End.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Newhart easily had the best ending. M*A*S*H had the best final episode. No mentions for Cheers, but I thought it ended at the right time and the right way. Seinfeld ended perfectly too. Shows like the Sopranos, BrBa, True Detective, etc. were so incredible throughout that no ending was going to be enough IMO.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
The end of the episode was fantastic where they show all of the new people following in the footsteps of the old while McNulty looks over the skyline.
Everything coming full circle and showing how crime is cyclical in a place like Baltimore. Just really well done.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I loved Psych but thought the last season was kind of meh. The Finale itself was outstanding though. The Office I felt like the show had outlived itself but the last 6 or so episodes were great and they hit the Finale out of the park which made me really wish it wasn't over.

Yeah, Psych was running out of gas the last season, but the finale was great. Loved how they tied it to Monk in the final minutes.

My favorites are The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Star Trek: TNG, and Battlestar Galactica.

Hated the end of Torchwood.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Only correct answer is Newhart.

The idea was amazing but the most amazing thing about that was that it was a COMPLETE surprise to everyone. Don't know how they kept that under wraps with no leakage until it actually aired.

I remember watching it in real time and was completely blown away by how clever and unexpected it was.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
"The Office" and "Breaking Bad" are my two favorites. They were both extremely satisfying ways to end each series.

"How I Met Your Mother" is easily the worst I've seen.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
M*A*S*H
Cheers - thank you ribsnwhiskey for finally mentioning this one
Johnny Carson's last Tonight Show

I'm in the minority of actually liking Seinfeld's season finale. It was a show about nothing. They ended it with the same line they began it with. The show was about the characters, so that was their focus. I'm not sure how else to end a show like that never really had a storyline run throughout

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Only correct answer is Newhart.

The idea was amazing but the most amazing thing about that was that it was a COMPLETE surprise to everyone. Don't know how they kept that under wraps with no leakage until it actually aired.

I remember watching it in real time and was completely blown away by how clever and unexpected it was.

Newhart was great but it's FAAAAAAAAAAR from the only correct answer.