Friday OT - Bands ruined for you by oversaturation

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Another thing I've noticed is that musical trends change regionally.

Most of Nebraska has a lot of horrible repeats on Boston, Journey, REO Speedwagon

Iowa has a lot of AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Metallica

My favorite station in CO goes through phases, they typically play a wide variety and promote a ton of local shows, jam bands, etc. But two summers ago they played Adele twice in an hour. Last year it was Mumford and Sons. Not sure what it will be this year, but I have a feeling it will be Lorde. They also now play Pearl Jam - Sirens every hour it seems. 90% of the time the station is great, the rest of it I turn the station off.

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
When Kiss 107.5 FM in Des Moines first started up playing pop stuff in the early 2000's I once heard Macy Gray's "I Try" song 7 times in an 8 hour work shift. Just the first couple beats of that song takes me back to hours on end of cleaning golf clubs.

fatkid1974

Apr 3, 2010
van down by the river
Stupid radio is setting playlists off of focus groups and best seller lists. It's complete crap and has ruined a lot of songs over the years for me by playing them to death.

theyork

Aug 6, 2009
hedgesville, wv
Are there some bands you loved before the radio played the crap out of them, or before you started hearing them everywhere?

I loved Kings of Leon before they were played to death a few summers ago, now I just turn the channel. I hate that I'm starting to get burnt out on the Black Keys, too.

your problem is in bold. radio music is designed to be just that, radio music. they radio will never play anything outside of a few songs from any given album. they likely don't have the rights to do so even if they wanted to.

they want you to hear these same songs all day so that is all you know. then that will be then only thing you know to listen to later (and subsequently buy). I have seen this work time and time again at a jukebox at a bar. when i head out for a drink, the locals will play the same damn 7 songs over and over again all night. as soon as i play something "different". they get a little upset because they don't know it, then they put more money in a play the same **** again. i want to shoot myself everytime i hear "sweet na" (some ****** country song).

it is all part of what i call mechanized america. all the food tastes the same. look no further than fast food and steakhouses. all the music sounds the same (in waves). look at boy bands of a few years back. the list goes on.

my advice, don't listen to the radio for music. ever.

theyork

Aug 6, 2009
hedgesville, wv
here is how i avoid the radio.

START with pandora. the reason is say START is because although is is more diverse than the radio, it will repeat itself just like the radio. I use pandora as a kick start to find new music. when i hear a new good song, i'll start a new pandora station based on the "new" music.

Secondly, use spotify or grooveshark. I like grooveshark a lot. When you find a new band you like, go to grooveshark, type in the band / album and you will likely find it there to listen to for free. the whole album, for free.

Thirdly, use internet radio (if you can work near a computer). You can even do this on your phone. plug in your phone, hook your phone up to the work radio and BAM! new interesting music.

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
Nickelback...and I'm halfway serious too. Their early stuff was decent.....then came that "this is how you remind me" song and it all spiraled out of control from there. On the subject of radio stations, a humorous one from Grand Island. They had a pretty good rock station for a few years, only to have it replaced with a Top-40 station (when the market area already had one) because said rock station didn't necessarily follow along with the ownership's religious/family beliefs. Judging from today's mainstream lyrics, it reminded me of the South Park Cartman-dressed-as-Hitler-when-school-replaces-costume-with-ghost-costume-that-looks-strikingly-similar-to-KKK-wardrobe episode.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
I have Sirius XM for my commute to work from college and I must admit the novelty has worn off with your initial favorite station after 3 weeks or so. Plus, some have a rather quick playlist that repeats in less than two hours. Pretty much killed my listening mood last summer on a trip down to Atlanta. Had to get a spotify trial for the drive back. That said, I still find good stations and usually just go in phases of one station for a week tops and then listen to something new the next week. Plus they don't play the same songs heard on FM.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I agree with everyone else that I just can't listen to the radio regularly.

Pandora or mp3s at work. Sports talk in the car mostly with some Pandora on the headphones as well.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Oh, yeah, those three were on all of the time, too.

It's killing me about the Black Keys. I still enjoy them, but my ability to listen for long is lower.

Listening to them play Fever on SNL, holy crap that is an annoying song. I think it's latest stuff that is the problem.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Pretty much a lot of what's on alternative hits on Slacker. I need to spend time creating a broad mashup station I guess.

RunDMCyclone

Jun 9, 2013
12 Grimmauld Place
Are there some bands you loved before the radio played the crap out of them, or before you started hearing them everywhere?

I loved Kings of Leon before they were played to death a few summers ago, now I just turn the channel. I hate that I'm starting to get burnt out on the Black Keys, too.

The radio only killed Use Somebody for Kings of Leon...otherwise the pop stations haven't picked up any of their other songs and the rock stations don't seem to wear their songs out. I can't listen to Use Somebody anymore because of the radio, but I can still listen to the rest of their music.

RunDMCyclone

Jun 9, 2013
12 Grimmauld Place
Imagine Dragons are so overplayed.

Although another song, Come With Me Now by KONGOS, is becoming the new Radioactive

Like usual, it's always at least 6 months after these songs first become popular on Alt Nation. I laugh at when people first "discover" bands like the Black Keys, Imagine Dragons, Bastille, Foster the People, etc and act like they're a new act when their music has been playing on Alt Nation for a while.

Last edited:

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
Anything played on those Top 40 stations. You hear the same song 10+ times a day and people wonder why I call that music ****. Well, it was **** to begin with.

I usually plug my phone in when driving. A lot better selection

BLRNerd

Apr 25, 2014
...Behind You
Like usual, it's always at least 6 months after these songs first become popular on Alt Nation. I laugh at when people first "discover" bands like the Black Keys, Imagine Dragons, Bastille, Foster the People, etc and act like they're a new act when their music has been playing on Alt Nation for a while.

Well, I don't have Sirius XM in my car. So I didn't know they were being played on Alt Nation.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
The radio only killed Use Somebody for Kings of Leon...otherwise the pop stations haven't picked up any of their other songs and the rock stations don't seem to wear their songs out. I can't listen to Use Somebody anymore because of the radio, but I can still listen to the rest of their music.

I usually only listen to the alt rock stations, so I'm not sure about pop - Sex on Fire was overplayed like crazy here, and Crawl was also on pretty frequently.

I love old Kings of Leon, have always been a fan, and can still listen to that stuff - I just can't palate that album.