Friday OT #3 - Showing Your Age Card

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Not exactly the same thing, but I remember helping my sisters cut out a cereal box record of Jackson 5's ABC. That's the first music memory that comes to mind.

For those that don't know:

http://www.mrbreakfast.com/list.asp?id=5

We also had one of the Bobby Sherman ones.

Those cereal-box cut-out singles were awesome, baby. We had one by The Archies and I think one of the Bobby Sherman ones.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Not exactly the same thing, but I remember helping my sisters cut out a cereal box record of Jackson 5's ABC. That's the first music memory that comes to mind.

For those that don't know:

http://www.mrbreakfast.com/list.asp?id=5

We also had one of the Bobby Sherman ones.

I'm really glad you posted this. Many many years ago, I was telling my wife that I swore these things existed. She thought I was crazy. Unfortunately, this was before smart phones, and we weren't around a search engine of any kind.

I now have the ammo I need.

I don't get to "win" many arguments, so I'm off to get my gloat on.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
When I threw this topic to Angie, I knew my first "radio memory":

"Windy," The Association. I think it was '68 or '69 (song was released in '67, I think ... "shelf life" for AM radio songs in those days was short) ... I was 3 or 4 at the time.

My family and me were in the car,heading back home after visiting one of our relatives ... it was on the radio. I think it was late-summer or early-fall. My memory about it is "vaguely vivid."

Reactions: MeanDean and Angie

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
When I threw this topic to Angie, I knew my first "radio memory":

"Windy," The Association. I think it was '68 or '69 (song was released in '67, I think ... "shelf life" for AM radio songs in those days was short) ... I was 3 or 4 at the time.

My family and me were in the car,heading back home after visiting one of our relatives ... it was on the radio. I think it was late-summer or early-fall. My memory about it is "vaguely vivid."

.......and since you posted that, I thought of "See You in September", a song I later song in high school chorus.

Reactions: cyclones500

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I Told You So by Randy Travis
I Got My Mind Set on You by George Harrison

Those are the two I remember on the radio and were both in 87. I would have turned 4 that year.

Reactions: Angie

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Aqua - Barbie Girl, Chumbawumba - Tubthumbing, TLC - Waterfalls, Skee-Lo, All 4 One - I wish.

Almost all terrible songs. Hope the music I actually listened to at a younger age was older than this.

My personal old moment of the day...that was senior year in college for me.

My mom would play the "Lite" radio station in the mornings, so I remember eating breakfast to this.

Reactions: harimad

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
My personal old moment of the day...that was senior year in college for me.

My mom would play the "Lite" radio station in the mornings, so I remember eating breakfast to this.

This was one of the first songs I learned while teaching myself how to play the piano (top hand at least). That and "Snowbird" by Anne Murray and "One Tin Soldier" by Joni Mitchell

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I remember listening to Herb Albert a lot in my parents car as we were out shopping. I listened to a lot of Michael Jackson's Thriller and Culture Club before finally moving on to GnR and AC/DC

clonedmax

Apr 19, 2006
Earlham, IA
I remember in kindergarten you could bring music to share for show and tell. One popular one was "Top of the World" by the Carpenters.:rolleyes: I remember bringing in my 45 of "Rhinestone Cowboy" by Glen Campbell. Yikes I'm old.

rdtindsm

Jan 30, 2008
i am of an age when a transistor radio was new and relatively expensive. Ergo, I didn't start listening to the radio much until probably the early 60's. I am a bit of a social misfit, so I was listening to Boone's station thinking it was cool. Suspect Johnny Horton's "battle of new orleans" and "Sink the Bismark" were in there somewhere. Can't forget "Running Bear".I thought I was on my way to cool when I bought a 45 of the song.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
We got our first family stereo. Big piece of furniture wooden box type - for Christmas 1964. I remember thinking "Downtown" by Petula Clark was probably going to be on the charts for the rest of my life I thought it was so spectacularly done. And I still think it's a pretty cool composition and production. Sure takes me back, LOL. I would have been 9.

I also seem to remember hearing Peter Paul and Mary's version of "Blowing In the Wind" on a car trip back from Western Iowa. It was released in summer '63 but it obviously could have been played later on so my memory could be faulty there.

Reactions: cyclones500

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
So I've been giving it some thought today, and the first "RADIO" memory I have of a specific song or songs is when my sister & I were both sick with something that kept us in our twin beds in our shared room for several days. We had a radio on the night stand in between the beds tuned to KJR (Seattle). No tv's in the kid's rooms back then. Wouldn't matter anyway because we only had 3 channels. :D

I swear that every second or third song played during those very long days was either "Help Me Rhonda" (Beach Boys) or "Count Me In" (Gary Lewis & the Playboys). That was 1965; I would have been 10, my sister 13.