Friday OT #2 - Wrap It Up

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I just went to Decorah for the first time a couple of summers ago to photograph a wedding up in a new venue of an old... stagecoach garage, maybe? And fell in love with it up there, it's such a unique place. I'm going to mark this down - it would be neat to see if I could get us an AirBnB cabin up there and we could try it out. As @NWICY pointed out that you can try it locally, we could try it out down here first.

Especially with Skunk River renting, those folks are so nice I'm sure they would do a great job of fitting the kids. That big park out on 13th(?) street has a lot of room and flat space to learn.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
We lucked into appointments on Monday for vaccinations (round one). It's the first step toward to seeing my kids & grandkids again!

Also...

HUGS!!!
Got my second one yesterday afternoon. First one was no issue except a bit of injection site discomfort for a week or so.

Felt fine yesterday afterwards. Woke up in the night (to do the thing old men have to do in the night). As soon as I got out from under the covers I started shivering and teeth chattering. Only lasted a few more minutes after I got back into bed though.

Then this morning I was still sleeping after 8 AM I usually wake up between 7 and 7:30. Head-ache and very low energy. Ibuprofen. Took dog out but no 2 mile walk. Ate something then back to bed until 10:30. Another Ibuprofen and now I'm stumbling into morning computer time. Still feel like a limp dishrag.

Guessing it's just a one day thing. Heard other similar stories of 2nd jab side effects. Arm is no issue at least.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Got my second one yesterday afternoon. First one was no issue except a bit of injection site discomfort for a week or so.

Felt fine yesterday afterwards. Woke up in the night (to do the thing old men have to do in the night). As soon as I got out from under the covers I started shivering and teeth chattering. Only lasted a few more minutes after I got back into bed though.

Then this morning I was still sleeping after 8 AM I usually wake up between 7 and 7:30. Head-ache and very low energy. Ibuprofen. Took dog out but no 2 mile walk. Ate something then back to bed until 10:30. Another Ibuprofen and now I'm stumbling into morning computer time. Still feel like a limp dishrag.

Guessing it's just a one day thing. Heard other similar stories of 2nd jab side effects. Arm is no issue at least.

This was pretty well my experience with Moderna. I had my second shot at 8 am on Monday, started having just a little shivering at bedtime that night (along with the really sore arm), and then felt exhausted/achy/low-grade fever the next day until about 2 or 3 PM. Then was done with it.

• Informative
Reactions: MeanDean

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I just went to Decorah for the first time a couple of summers ago to photograph a wedding up in a new venue of an old... stagecoach garage, maybe? And fell in love with it up there, it's such a unique place. I'm going to mark this down - it would be neat to see if I could get us an AirBnB cabin up there and we could try it out. As @NWICY pointed out that you can try it locally, we could try it out down here first.

Probably De Novo Barn. It's a beautiful venue.

The Iowa Driftless Area is awesome - really the entire area (Wisconsin and Minnesota parts too) is one of the most underrated locations for outdoor recreation in the country. And it has a killer beer scene. Decorah's the biggest town with the most cultural amenities (in far northeast Iowa that is), but there are some real gems scattered around the outlying smaller towns, and the country side is gorgeous. It's just different culturally from the rest of the state too - very similar to Wisconsin. I've always meant to just take the time to do a staycation, but feel like I generally get enough out of living here on the weekends.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

The Iowa Driftless Area is awesome - really the entire area (Wisconsin and Minnesota parts too) is one of the most underrated locations for outdoor recreation in the country. And it has a killer beer scene. Decorah's the biggest town with the most cultural amenities (in far northeast Iowa that is), but there are some real gems scattered around the outlying smaller towns, and the country side is gorgeous. It's just different culturally from the rest of the state too - very similar to Wisconsin. I've always meant to just take the time to do a staycation, but feel like I generally get enough out of living here on the weekends.

That was it! The De Novo Barn. It was really, really neat, and I got some awesome shots of the reception. It was super unique!

Janny wandered around town getting suuuuuuper drunk at all of the breweries while I was shooting the wedding. He had a blast, then we got some Mabe's and hit up some awesome liquor store near there (??), then went back to our hotel. I took some photos of the couple at a park that overlooks a valley, and it was breathtaking. It's a really, really unique area. We were discussing that we'd like to go back there with a group of couples.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
That was it! The De Novo Barn. It was really, really neat, and I got some awesome shots of the reception. It was super unique!

Janny wandered around town getting suuuuuuper drunk at all of the breweries while I was shooting the wedding. He had a blast, then we got some Mabe's and hit up some awesome liquor store near there (??), then went back to our hotel. I took some photos of the couple at a park that overlooks a valley, and it was breathtaking. It's a really, really unique area. We were discussing that we'd like to go back there with a group of couples.

Backwater Spirits. Great store. Good stogie selection too.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Backwater Spirits. Great store. Good stogie selection too.

That sounds familiar! Sort of opened up to the parking lot behind that main road? The owner was incredibly, incredibly nice - we got there just as it was closing, and he not only stayed open for a bit longer, but he had all kinds of great recommendations.

Reactions: Al_4_State

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
That sounds familiar! Sort of opened up to the parking lot behind that main road? The owner was incredibly, incredibly nice - we got there just as it was closing, and he not only stayed open for a bit longer, but he had all kinds of great recommendations.

Yup. That’s it. He used to run a high end restaurant in Harmony, MN just across the border. It was really good, but a bit over the heads of the townsfolk

• Friendly

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Yup. That’s it. He used to run a high end restaurant in Harmony, MN just across the border. It was really good, but a bit over the heads of the townsfolk

I hope he's doing well now. Decorah seems like a town that would appreciate some of the finer things, and definitely some good alcohol. Janny went to a brewery in a garage or something?

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Pulpit Rock. It’s an old laundromat with an overhead door. I just left there two hours ago.

I just confirmed that was it! He went there after Toppling. He ended up spending more time at Pulpit Rock; he liked the vibe better. He just hung around in some adirondack chairs.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I'll be honest - I've always been aware of cross country skiing, and have been downhill skiing, but this may be the first time I've actually SEEN someone doing it in person, too. I don't know if it's not a big central Iowa thing, or if I've just always been enough of a town/city-dweller that I've not seen it? Even the year or two we lived on a farm, I don't think I ever saw it.

I love the idea of doing it regularly. It's SUCH good exercise. But I bet it is a pretty specific set of circumstances where you can do it.

We did cross country skiing for much of the winter in P.E. at my northern Iowa high school. There is a huge difference culturally and snow-wise towards winter activities north of highway 20. Lot of small town ice/honked rinks in the town parks, snowmobiles, cross country skiing, ice fishing, etc.

• Friendly

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
We did cross country skiing for much of the winter in P.E. at my northern Iowa high school. There is a huge difference culturally and snow-wise towards winter activities north of highway 20. Lot of small town ice/honked rinks in the town parks, snowmobiles, cross country skiing, ice fishing, etc.

I was in Webster Co until second grade and remember snowmobiles being a bigger deal even there! We lived in town, so I didn’t experience much of it firsthand.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

MacGregor is a cute town, gorgeous area with the bluffs there.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012

My 27 year old son who got Covid in November still can barely get out of bed for stretches of days. Really fatigued. He starts a new job in a few weeks, can’t really sleep through that.

I wonder when we will know the full extent of the health damage from the disease. Scares me.

Hope you feel better. Have seven family members who are through the first shot with no side effects and husband and a brother who have had both shots without side effects, so whenever I get one, I suppose odds are against me and I will be the one to get sick. Husband said coworkers were more likely to feel a bit ill after second shot than first.