Friday OT #2 - That Proves You Were There, That You Heard of them First

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I actually do have one and MeanDean's post reminded me of it. I was supposed to go see BJ Thomas in concert at CY Stephens during my freshman orientation, but when we got there, he had cancelled last minute. Instead, we got our money back and had some nobody thrust upon us that no one had ever heard of. He had one song out at the time and he never even sang it, it was a Mamas and Papas hit, "Leaving on a Jet Plane." So that's how I saw John Denver in concert.

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
Anyone catch Green Day at the M Shop before they got famous? Pretty sure they played there. They mention Ames in the liner notes of Kerplunk (pretty sure it's that album).

Reactions: Angie and wxman1

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Mine are ISU related. My football ones were taken OSU 11 and Nebraska 92.

A new one to add was going to Cincy and watching the ISU WBB take down UCONN. That UCONN team had some of the best that have ever played there. I never dreamed a win was possible.

Donqluione

Feb 5, 2017
Fake news.

It was the Hessian mercenaries, not the British. :)
You and I know that but George told me to just say it was the British, because his Tweeps wouldn't know what a "Hessian" was, and OurFans would be offended that he was attacking "mercenaries".

• Funny
Reactions: khardbored

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Have you ever been either early to something that became a big deal (liked a band before they hit it big, watched a TV show before it had acclaim or success)? Or, alternately, have you been at a big event that didn't seem like it would be big at the time (an unlikely ISU win, a VEISHEA riot)?

Picture it: Welch and Chamberlain, April, 2004. Beautiful weather. My band opens for the headliners, Luther Wright and The Wrongs. Just a marvelous evening. Drinks flowing, people milling about and going from bar to bar. The Wrongs finish, we all shake hands and pack up our gear, and I head home to the rental place on Wood Street. “That,” I though to myself as I nodded off to sleep, “was just about a perfect night.”

• Haha
Reactions: Angie

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Partied with the Turnpike Troubadours before and after their show at Wooly's in Des Moines in 2013. Really nice guys and a lot of fun to hang out with. They aren't a household name really, but they are headlining a night at Bonaroo this year.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie