Friday OT #2 - That Proves You Were There, That You Heard of them First

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
great thread title! is it you or your parents in this income tax bracket?

Excess ain't rebellion!

I love Cake, and am so bummed we didn't see them when they were in Iowa a few times.

Reactions: drlove

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
My old college roommate used to work at the record store on Welch. He would get new music releases way before they hit the radio or MTV. I heard Smashing Pumpkins and Live quite awhile before most people. He also scored tickets to a sneak peak of Dazed and Confused before it was released in theaters.

I saw 311 at a smaller venue in Omaha back in either '93 or '94 before their big breakthrough.

I saw 30 Seconds to Mars, Simple Plan and Breaking Benjamin as opening bands.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Obligatory 2011 Oklahoma State

Saw Hannibal Buress for free in 2011 at the MShop just before he blew up. There were like 30 people.

Big Spring Jam in Huntsville Alabama September 2001. Incubus was headlining. My sister was babysitting us and took my brother (10) and me (8) to go see this concert and I think everyone got so hyped for this random band called Hoobastank that opened for Incubus. They were awesome, even better than Incubus in my 8 year old mind. I got a signed promotional cd by all 4 band members at the time. They released the album a couple months later and started charting.

Fun story about that concert, I crowdsurfed and got dropped and got a black eye. My sister got in trouble for taking us lol

• Funny
Reactions: kevdiv48 and NWICY

BurgundyClone

Apr 15, 2007
East of Omaha
Excess ain't rebellion!

I love Cake, and am so bummed we didn't see them when they were in Iowa a few times.
I stumbled upon Cake several years ago in NYC for business and they sprung a show up across the street from my hotel. I was illin' (turned out to be strep throat) but paid maybe $60 for an intimate show for about 300 standing fans. Several tall boy PBR's (red white and blue ones) later -maybe best show ever.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I stumbled upon Cake several years ago in NYC for business and they sprung a show up across the street from my hotel. I was illin' (turned out to be strep throat) but paid maybe $60 for an intimate show for about 300 standing fans. Several tall boy PBR's (red white and blue ones) later -maybe best show ever.

That would be amazing, to see them in a tiny venue. I get the feeling that they would be chill and just sort of have fun on stage.

Donqluione

Feb 5, 2017
I held George Washington's horse while he crossed the Delaware River, to attack the British at Trenton. He wasn't a very big thing yet at that point.

• Funny
Reactions: khardbored

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
My old college roommate used to work at the record store on Welch. He would get new music releases way before they hit the radio or MTV. I heard Smashing Pumpkins and Live quite awhile before most people. He also scored tickets to a sneak peak of Dazed and Confused before it was released in theaters.

I saw 311 at a smaller venue in Omaha back in either '93 or '94 before their big breakthrough.

I saw 30 Seconds to Mars, Simple Plan and Breaking Benjamin as opening bands.

I was at ISU from '87 to '91. I can't remember which of those years it was, but I saw Smashing Pumpkins at the Maintenance Shop.

Unfortunately they didn't put on much of a show. They seemed ticked off the whole time.... I think they thought it would be a bigger venue and that more people would be there or something?

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Music category:

I boarded the R.E.M. train relatively early, several years before it went to Warner Bros and got heavy-rotation on MTV. First R.E.M. album I bought within a week of its release: “Fables of the Reconstruction” (1985). Attended two shows that year: I-City in May, C.Y. Stephens in September. (Compared to a couple of close friends, I was a late-comer — they exposed me to it).

I saw Soul Asylum live three or four times before the band signed with Columbia Records, including one show when SA opened for The Smithereens (another was at First Avenue as headliner — I was deaf for a week after that one). The group seemed “already popular” to me at the time, already moved from Twin/Tone to A&M.

Reactions: Angie

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Saw RHCP at CY Stephens..... openers were Pearl Jam, and I think Smashing Pumpkins. Pearl Jam was just starting to become somewhat famous.

I wouldn't really call that seeing someone before they became famous though. If you're playing at CY Stephens you have to be somewhat big already.

Reactions: Gitross and Angie

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
My older two boys were way into the Harry Potter books before they were a big deal. We actually got the second book in Canada because it had an earlier release date.

The children’s librarian recommended the first book. They looked sort of skeptical after I read them the first chapter, but the after the second chapter, they didn’t want me to stop.

They went trick or treating as Harry Potter two years in a row when people had no idea what the costume was about.

Read all the Harry Potter books with my eldest niece she has them all in Hardcover thanks to Uncle NWICY.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
James H. Hilton coliseum ISU vs Mizzou. Barry Stevens made it RAIN!!! The start of Hilton Magic IMO.

Man I've spent a lot of money on ISU tickets because of one game. Oh well worth it.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Have you ever been either early to something that became a big deal (liked a band before they hit it big, watched a TV show before it had acclaim or success)? Or, alternately, have you been at a big event that didn't seem like it would be big at the time (an unlikely ISU win, a VEISHEA riot)?
I seem to be just the opposite. I like things that no one else does, go to things where few other people go, love movies that everyone else calls crap etc.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Saw Blondie in concert in CR. Opening act was someone I'd never heard of: Duran Duran. Unfortunately I thought they sucked (and actually never 'got' them).

I was also a relatively early bandwagon on REM. Was in Cali and they were all over radio there. Came back to Midwest and nobody ever heard of them. Same with "X". Of course FM radio was either top 40 or Mainstream Corporate Rock around here.

Saw REM at Palmer College in Davenport on Halloween night. It was a couple years later and they were just getting big nationally with songs like Superman and It's the End of the World... Everybody stood on their chairs the whole concert.