Friday OT #2 - Seek & Destroy

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
I'm about 9 years from an early retirement. We try to at least once a year choose a place for vacation as a place we will move to when we retire. A few places we are considering.

Florida-If we do, it will be northern Florida. When my dad retired he retired down towards the everglades. Hot, humid, buggy, and gross IMO. Florida in general is not high on my list.

Phoenix area-Spent a week last year at a VRBO in Scottsdale. Woke up in the morning and walked outside to the pool and spent all day chilling. This is high on my list. Worried about the water situation and Scottsdale is kind of pricey. Probably have to pick a different suburb.

Palm Springs CA-Spent a week 3 years ago at a VRBO. Woke up in the morning and walked outside to the pool and spent all day chilling. This would be high on my list but too $$$.

Las Vegas NV-Been there a lot of times but I've never stayed at a VRBO. This will be a little harder since LV doesn't allow rentals.

Texas-We went to Austin last year. We didn't go thinking we'd want to retire there, just to check it out. I honestly thought Austin was a little overrated. I'm not really feeling anywhere in Texas as a good retirement option for us.

Montana-When we were in Montana I had dreams of retiring there. Then I remembered that 6 months of the year the weather sucks.

Anyone have any other suggestions in the states to check out? Arkansas? We may also consider Mexico.
A friend has lived in NW Arkansas for the last 20 years and really likes it.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Did you hear from your buddy is he ok?
Yeah, he apparently went to stay at his mom's place inland so he is okay. He hasn't seen his house last I heard but his boat was still there - in his neighbor's yard rather. Since apparently he has spoken to his neighbor. I doubt there is much left of his little house, though.

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I hate Florida. Hate almost everything about it, especially the weather. Not real big on the whole hurricane thing, either. My mom has now directly experienced Charley (their first summer there) and now Ian from living in Port Charlotte, north of Fort Myers. She talks about how awful the summers are. I think that goes pretty much for the whole South. I find the humidity in Iowa bad enough. I can't imagine high dew points for SIX months, plus far more frequent severe weather than what we get. I will say, it's not terrible in the winter when the temperatures are decent and humidity is low. That being said, it's still Floriduh.

Having lived in the Bay Area for a decade, the quakes don't really bother me that much. Yes, I know the "Big One" is due at some point. The 6.9 Loma Prieta quake in 1989 was the "sorta Big One." In other words, NOT the big earthquake everyone is expecting. People out there just don't worry about it, kind of like how we don't live in constant fear of tornadoes here. They are freaked the F out over tornadoes, derechos, etc. The little quakes are kind of fun, actually. They're over with before you know what's going on. The 6.9 one was NOT fun, so I definitely don't want to experience anything larger. But I will say that the weather on the coast north of SF is (for me) 110% ideal: rarely gets above the 70s for highs, but mostly in the 60s, 50s in the winter months; lows in the 50s/upper 40s in summer and fall, 30s and 40s in the winter; it never snows; it's never hot n humid. I'd put up with the possibility of a large quake if I could live without snow, ice, heat & humidity for the rest of my days, because it might not happen until after I'm long gone.

• Love
Reactions: khardbored

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I have 3 sisters that live in/near Blacksburg Va. It's closer to the southwestern part of the state and is more rural. Kind of like living in the Midwest but with mountains.

Reactions: khardbored

viking63

Aug 28, 2010
WDM, Iowa
I can't live any further South than Iowa. It's too hot and humid for me.

Spouse and I are looking further North when we retire. Duluth is high on the list.
Love Duluth. For me retirement means seclusion, remoteness, few people. I would suggest further north of Duluth around the Lutsen area. To the west of Caribou Lake maybe. Some many year round outdoor activities available.

Reactions: Entropy

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
A friend has lived in NW Arkansas for the last 20 years and really likes it.
Arkansas Highway 7 from Harrison to Russellville is the best drive I've ever done. Scenic, winding, beautiful, and fun.

Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
How is Duluth politically? A bunch of rednecks…. or somewhat progressive?
Duluth is really nice. Very pretty area up there in Northern Minn. It's brutal in the winter there, so there is that. Duluth is politically left (used to be extremely left when the iron mines were functioning). It's more mixed today, but still more lefties than righties.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron