Friday OT #2 - Seek & Destroy

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
We'd been very casually looking recently at property in Fort Myers, FL... until this week. Wow, did Ian just annihilate that area. And it reminded us of why we don't live in areas that are high hurricane paths - I wouldn't be able to handle rebuilding constantly like that. I am not personally a huge New Orleans just on the merits of the town itself outside of Bourbon Street - before taking into account the fact that it's settled on a hurricane swamp.

What areas of the country/world would you never consider living in due to the weather/natural events? Do you hate extreme cold? Wouldn't be able to deal with the heat in a desert? Do you have a fear of San Francisco falling into the ocean due to earthquakes?

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
We'd been very casually looking recently at property in Fort Myers, FL... until this week. Wow, did Ian just annihilate that area. And it reminded us of why we don't live in areas that are high hurricane paths - I wouldn't be able to handle rebuilding constantly like that. I am not personally a huge New Orleans just on the merits of the town itself outside of Bourbon Street - before taking into account the fact that it's settled on a hurricane swamp.

What areas of the country/world would you never consider living in due to the weather/natural events? Do you hate extreme cold? Wouldn't be able to deal with the heat in a desert? Do you have a fear of San Francisco falling into the ocean due to earthquakes?
Back in 2009 or so, my wife and I went for a business trip in Naples. For sale signs everywhere. After we got back, we looked at the real estate there and found a house the same age as ours, same footage, 1 mile from the ocean, for the same price we paid for ours. We thought about it for a bit, but ultimately decided against it because we had just bought our house, and hadn't sold the old one yet (we still haven't, my parents moved into it and have lived there ever since).

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
After living in Rhode Island for a little bit, any place that isn't overly humid, like the south east. I would like to live in a place where the humidity and heat combo isn't to the point where I sweat through my shirt just by walking outside.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

Any massive city. Cities suck. For so many reasons.

Edit: I should be nicer, cities are not for me. At all. I avoid visiting them unless I have to and could never imagine myself living in one.

Last edited:

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
Chicago, New York, Boston...any place that can't seem to get clean or offer clear views of nature. Never live in those places.

Wyoming, Montana, Dakotas, Idaho, Utah...where things seem infinite and untouched in places. Some day I'll have to live there alone because my wife wants the ocean. So if you're looking for a middle aged guy who may be single in 6 or so years, and you want to live in a remote area, I'm your man. :)

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY and Angie

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
We were just in Florida last week so I have been somewhat thinking about this. I honestly can't see myself calling anywhere but Iowa home. In retirement I think I would like to spend extended time in many places but not live there permanently.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
With exception to the U.P., anywhere in the eastern time zone, MAYBE except sparceish parts.

Just seems like it gets super crowded very quickly.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
We were just in Florida last week so I have been somewhat thinking about this. I honestly can't see myself calling anywhere but Iowa home. In retirement I think I would like to spend extended time in many places but not live there permanently.

Is it weird that, of the places we have visited - I could most see myself living in Portland, OR or London? Both are rainy and not overly hot most of the time. I don’t seek out rain but don’t mind it.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I'm about 9 years from an early retirement. We try to at least once a year choose a place for vacation as a place we will move to when we retire. A few places we are considering.

Florida-If we do, it will be northern Florida. When my dad retired he retired down towards the everglades. Hot, humid, buggy, and gross IMO. Florida in general is not high on my list.

Phoenix area-Spent a week last year at a VRBO in Scottsdale. Woke up in the morning and walked outside to the pool and spent all day chilling. This is high on my list. Worried about the water situation and Scottsdale is kind of pricey. Probably have to pick a different suburb.

Palm Springs CA-Spent a week 3 years ago at a VRBO. Woke up in the morning and walked outside to the pool and spent all day chilling. This would be high on my list but too $$$.

Las Vegas NV-Been there a lot of times but I've never stayed at a VRBO. This will be a little harder since LV doesn't allow rentals.

Texas-We went to Austin last year. We didn't go thinking we'd want to retire there, just to check it out. I honestly thought Austin was a little overrated. I'm not really feeling anywhere in Texas as a good retirement option for us.

Montana-When we were in Montana I had dreams of retiring there. Then I remembered that 6 months of the year the weather sucks.

Anyone have any other suggestions in the states to check out? Arkansas? We may also consider Mexico.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I to am an Petras fan, your to dumb too recognize there ability too grow QBs. Petras four Heisman!

Been to Florida many times for work and I've always considered it pretty much a cesspool. We're going to seriously look at Oregon and North Carolina when both daughters are off the payroll and we're able to relocate one last time.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I'm about 9 years from an early retirement. We try to at least once a year choose a place for vacation as a place we will move to when we retire. A few places we are considering.

Florida-If we do, it will be northern Florida. When my dad retired he retired down towards the everglades. Hot, humid, buggy, and gross IMO. Florida in general is not high on my list.

Phoenix area-Spent a week last year at a VRBO in Scottsdale. Woke up in the morning and walked outside to the pool and spent all day chilling. This is high on my list. Worried about the water situation and Scottsdale is kind of pricey. Probably have to pick a different suburb.

Palm Springs CA-Spent a week 3 years ago at a VRBO. Woke up in the morning and walked outside to the pool and spent all day chilling. This would be high on my list but too $$$.

Las Vegas NV-Been there a lot of times but I've never stayed at a VRBO. This will be a little harder since LV doesn't allow rentals.

Texas-We went to Austin last year. We didn't go thinking we'd want to retire there, just to check it out. I honestly thought Austin was a little overrated. I'm not really feeling anywhere in Texas as a good retirement option for us.

Montana-When we were in Montana I had dreams of retiring there. Then I remembered that 6 months of the year the weather sucks.

Anyone have any other suggestions in the states to check out? Arkansas? We may also consider Mexico.

My grandparents lived in Mesa, AZ for years when they became empty nesters. It was great. Chandler is also nice - of course, they haven’t lived down there in 15 years, so things may have changed. Scottsdale is great, but that is a great way to burn through your savings.

Pismo Beach, CA is chillier than down the coast, but gorgeous and cheaper than LA anywhere.

I know it isn’t in the States, but a ton of reports say to consider Panama for retirement.

Reactions: JP4CY and dmclone

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Forgot to add San Diego. If money was no object..........I keep forgetting that we're suppose to list places we'd never live. At this point in my life, most of them.

• Agree

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
Death Valley for me is a big NO! I spent a month there at the NTC, and let me tell you, that place is hell on earth. summertime temps in the 120s is no picnic. I will tell you there is a beauty to to harsh and barren landscape, but when you are in the shade and the wind blows the hot air it feels like a blast furnace. I would much prefer a cooler winter with a mild summer.

Places that I have been that I would consider: Hawaii or San Francisco. Can't beat the weather and natural beauty of these areas.

• Wow
  • Informative
Reactions: matclone and Angie

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

I have a hard rule that I would never live in a place where humans could not inhabit without modern infrastructure. Places in Nevada, Arizona, etc, would not work if we weren't able to pump huge amounts of water there.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
My brother lives in CA and was legitimately concerned about not having access to water. He said they were about 6 months from being completely out unless they got some rain for their well. That would be a deal breaker before any kind of weather or natural disaster.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
My brother lives in CA and was legitimately concerned about not having access to water. He said they were about 6 months from being completely out unless they got some rain for their well. That would be a deal breaker before any kind of weather or natural disaster.

And then throw in the constant wildfires. Super sad.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

Help Support Us

Become a patron