Friday OT #2 - Pet Sounds

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Had a neighbor growing up that had a little dog named Tucker. He didn't like him, so he started calling him Tucker the (word that rhymes with Tucker). Dog was dumb as ****, so the name worked.

• Dislike
Reactions: DaHiltonHaus1

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Dog's name is Wrigley. Has a variety of different nicknames:

Wrigeledoodle, Wriggery Diggery Doo, Wrigoley Puff, Wrigs. Depending on how much energy he has or the time of day we sometimes call him monster or terrorist.
We have a dog named Wrigley too. We'll also call him wriggels, or wrigs

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
You only have 6? I always pictured your house to be more like this.
NNN1.gif~c200
There are days.....

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
Mellow Yellow: Mel (most often), Melvin (after Ejim started getting notice), monorail cat
Cricket: Baby Girl
Milo: Dork, snuffleupagus (he has a chronic condition that causes him to have sneezing fits and shoot snot rockets)
Molly: Miss Molly, Molificient, thumbs (she's a polydactyl)
Button: Little momma
Tab: Tabbert, big guy, house panther

All rescue cats, ages 13, 8, 3 & 3 (siblings), 2 & 10 months (mother & son). The youngest is also the biggest...at 10 months, he's the size of a small dog.

Cue the "crazy cat lady" jokes... ;)
never let anyone in your house with a blacklight or a uv light, you will want to burn your house down.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Mellow Yellow: Mel (most often), Melvin (after Ejim started getting notice), monorail cat
Milo: Dork, snuffleupagus (he has a chronic condition that causes him to have sneezing fits and shoot snot rockets)

I assume Milo is inspired by "Milo and Otis"? .... A fun switcheroo on that, one of my college friends had a cat they named Otis, instead.

My favorite secondary names on your list: Mororail Cat, Dork and House Panther.

Suggestion of anther nickname for your Molly: Mollydactyl ;)

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
I assume Milo is inspired by "Milo and Otis"? .... A fun switcheroo on that, one of my college friends had a cat they named Otis, instead.

My favorite secondary names on your list: Mororail Cat, Dork and House Panther.

Suggestion of anther nickname for your Molly: Mollydactyl ;)
I love that!
Actually, Milo & Molly were the only two I didn't name. Cricket had 2 brothers, Smudgy & Garf. They were abandoned in our garage by their mother (we have never seen her since, so likely she didn't survive). Mel chose PapaLew as his human; Monorail Cat comes from the fact that he stretches out across the back of Lew's office chair when he's in it, or rides his shoulders around the house every night when he gets home from work, sometimes even when we play pool.
upload_2017-5-11_6-55-23.jpeg
Cricket has always been a somewhat aloof cat. Smudgy & Garf were my cuddle buddies. Sadly, they both died young, within a year of each other, and I was pretty devastated. I started looking around at shelters for black cats (personal choice - they have a harder time getting adopted), and found Molly in NE Iowa. W met the "foster parents" about midway at a Pet Smart; they brought Milo along to keep Molly happy as they were pretty inseparable. We went into the "adoption room" with the two of them and both of them were extremely affectionate from the get-go. Couldn't bring ourselves to separate them after they curled up together on my lap & started purring. So we brought both home. Yeah...I'm a softy!

They were nine months old already and had had those names since the beginning, so we just kept them. We DID ask permission from our granddaughter Molly first, though. ;)

Reactions: cyclones500

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Meka was already named when I got her.

She got called Meka-Mutt the most often. Sometimes Peanut.

She was described as a princess but I can't remember anyone ever calling her that.

But inside she was a determined hunter and farm dog. She even chased a horse away from the fence one time. Imagine an 8 lb white fluff ball nipping at the heels of a full sized horse and the horse running away. Scared me - one kick and she'd have been roughed up bad - or worse.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Dachsund/Chihauhua mutt named Oliver. Ollie/Boozer/The Booze. I'm not even sure how that nickname got started, but he has zero interest in alcohol, so that isn't it.

SWCy13

Nov 14, 2011
My Springer/Poodle mix is a girl named Quinn. Most of the time my wife calls her Quinners, but our nieces call her Quinny the Pooh and think it's just hilarious.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
That's cool having a cat that'll ride the shoulder like that. :)

Re: Black cats, I've heard that about them being harder to find owners to adopt --- is that mostly the "black cat" superstition, or something else entirely?

We have two black cats. (From left, Malkovich, Snarf)

black cats2.jpg

For a while we had 3 black cats, the other one (named "Crook" because of a kink in his tail) our son had found at his apartment and it ended up with us -- but one of his friends adopted him after a few months.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
My cat's name is Halen. He's quite talkative. If you ask him a question he'll respond. So his nickname is "Mr. McMeowypants." Or "Little Bastard" when he's being a jerk which is often. The wife calls him her "Little Bubu Bear."

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
That's cool having a cat that'll ride the shoulder like that. :)

Re: Black cats, I've heard that about them being harder to find owners to adopt --- is that mostly the "black cat" superstition, or something else entirely?

We have two black cats. (From left, Malkovich, Snarf)

View attachment 47773

For a while we had 3 black cats, the other one (named "Crook" because of a kink in his tail) our son had found at his apartment and it ended up with us -- but one of his friends adopted him after a few months.
It's not a myth - people are actually scared of black cats or think they're mean. Matter of fact, I put out a Facebook PSA every October reminding people to keep their black cats indoors as much as possible because it's dangerous for them to be out & about around Halloween.

There's actually a number of FB groups encouraging adoption of black cats because statistically, they spend longer in the shelters than any other color (iirc, yellow is the most popular color). Molly & Tab are both black. Past black cats were Smudgy (mentioned before) and Jezebel (Shere Khan's mother). Smudgy was 20 lbs, about 11 of it was hair (he was longhaired). He had the loudest rumbling purr you've ever heard.

Fun fact - I had Jez & Khannie for nearly 20 years. She was less than a year old and VERY pregnant when she adopted me. They passed within a year of each other, and each was just shy of turning 20 years old.

• Informative

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

You could get in on this, one of my favorite rabbit-hole sites. (I’ve wanted to participate, but I never seem to take the time)

Infinite Cat Project

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
It's not a myth - people are actually scared of black cats or think they're mean. Matter of fact, I put out a Facebook PSA every October reminding people to keep their black cats indoors as much as possible because it's dangerous for them to be out & about around Halloween.

There's actually a number of FB groups encouraging adoption of black cats because statistically, they spend longer in the shelters than any other color (iirc, yellow is the most popular color). Molly & Tab are both black. Past black cats were Smudgy (mentioned before) and Jezebel (Shere Khan's mother). Smudgy was 20 lbs, about 11 of it was hair (he was longhaired). He had the loudest rumbling purr you've ever heard.

Fun fact - I had Jez & Khannie for nearly 20 years. She was less than a year old and VERY pregnant when she adopted me. They passed within a year of each other, and each was just shy of turning 20 years old.

I've actually heard the same thing about black dogs. They are less likely to be adopted than others. Don't know how true it is, just what I've read on rescue sites.

Help Support Us

Become a patron