Friday OT #2 - One Shining Moment

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
One year at ISU in intramural hockey, we were in the semi-finals ahead by a goal with like 20 seconds to go. My friend has the puck on our end trying to run out time. He goes to try and clear the puck around our net, but ends up rocketing it right into our goal as our goalie wasn't ready for that.

I was so friggin pissed. We had like 6 seconds left, I went into rage mode and took the puck from face off to their goal and scored to keep the victory.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
We won a Intramural flag football game by 100 points my Junior year. I actually felt bad.

You should! It always pissed me off when people played in divisions they had no right being in. I never won a single t-shirt as we always got dominated by some team playing 2 divisions down.

Made a few finals, but that's it. And I played damn near everything.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
You should! It always pissed me off when people played in divisions they had no right being in. I never won a single t-shirt as we always got dominated by some team playing 2 divisions down.

Farnsy is a "Try Hard". Probably didn't even get drunk before/during/after intramurals.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis

I will say, we did not want to be in the B division, we asked to be in A, but they were full up. That being said, the team we played had no business being in that division either.

We got to 50 points and were all questioning how we should go forward. But they kept on throwing bombs and not being anywhere near the recievers. A couple simple pick 6s and then people were saying, "mine as well go for 100"

I just knocked down balls as the safety. I was taller than everyone on their team but already had 3 picks by halftime. It was a slaughter, and I didn't enjoy it as some others on my team did. haha

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I will say, we did not want to be in the B division, we asked to be in A, but they were full up. That being said, the team we played had no business being in that division either.

We got to 50 points and were all questioning how we should go forward. But they kept on throwing bombs and not being anywhere near the recievers. A couple simple pick 6s and then people were saying, "mine as well go for 100"

I just knocked down balls as the safety. I was taller than everyone on their team but already had 3 picks by halftime. It was a slaughter, and I didn't enjoy it as some others on my team did. haha

Ya thinking back to the college age mentality I would have had, once we hit 50, I would have tried to go for 100 as well. I was thinking the team you beat could have been us, but we were a floor primarily of CE and EE majors, so not the most athletic bunch. I think I played 2 or 3 intramurals ever outside the lowest division.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Ya thinking back to the college age mentality I would have had, once we hit 50, I would have tried to go for 100 as well. I was thinking the team you beat could have been us, but we were a floor primarily of CE and EE majors, so not the most athletic bunch. I think I played 2 or 3 intramurals ever outside the lowest division.
Yeah, and we had some Freshman guys on our team that played football in HS and were real try hards that first year.

These guys we played were, un-athletic, to say the least. But saying you put up 100 in a flag football game is, something haha

Reactions: Farnsworth

putsky

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 13, 2009
Harlan, IA
Three shining moments I can think of.

I scored 14 points in a CYO Basketball game once....after being poked in the eye at the beginning of the game and losing a contact.

I was on the "B" team in 7th grade. I got put into the game, only to become trapped by three defenders in the corner. With no outlet to pass to, I heaved the ball about 30 feet in the air and drained a shot from about 20 feet out.

I used to coach an amateur baseball team when I was 21. We were losing 10-7 heading into the bottom of the 9th. I decided to have a friend of mine pinch hit that didn't get much playing time and a player that was in the game made a smart ass remark about me giving up on winning because he thought the pinch hitter sucked. When I heard what he said, I went nuclear and launched into a verbal tirade on my own dugout that would make Lou Pinella blush, sent my bench player to go hit, and decided to put myself in the game at that point (I usually played everyone else who showed up before myself because I wanted to have enough guys to play games every week).

My pinch-hitter singled to right, I singled to left, put a pinch-runner in for myself and moved to coach third base. We rallied to score 4 in the 9th to win. I've never been so angry and satisfied at the same time at any point in my life.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Random thought of a devastating moment. One of my buddies in 7th grade basketball was on our A team, and he was solely there because he was 6'4. Very bad touch around the rim, could grab boards and the occasional block, but seriously 0 points through 16 of our 18 regular season games. It was early in the 4th quarter of the 16th game and the other team is shooting free-throws with the game tied. Shooter misses the second free throw and it bounces directly to him. He makes the most impressive power dribble to layup I have ever seen him do, actually looked like a bball player, and sinks the layup. Him, being so late in the season and scoring his first basket in middle school, he celebrates by raising his hands up and sprinting back on defense. Unfortunately, at about half court he came to the realization that he had indeed scored on the wrong basket and let out a huge "F***" in the relatively quite gym.

Coach pulled him. Didn't see the court the rest of the time. We lose by 2 points.

Safe to say he has still not lived that moment down to this day.

Oh, and he ended up scoring a lay up and making one free throw in game 18, so he finished the season out of the negatives haha

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

Reminds me of the Souse Bowl when I was in the marching band. The sousaphone section for ISU would play the sousas from Iowa's band the night before the CyHawk game and then have a party. I only played sousa for one year before switching to baritone, but that one year we had to have the least athletic group of band geeks ever assembled. I mean I'm a terrible athlete and I looked good compared to my teammates. Some of them may never have touched a sports ball in their lifetimes.

We "practiced" a few times but it was pretty hopeless. Only a few of us were able to throw or possibly catch a football.

When we showed up at an intramural field in Iowa City, it was readily apparent that the hoks were way more dedicated than we were. They were running set up plays and almost scoring every play. We were just desperately trying to get a first down. They figured out who was at least capable of doing anything and swarmed us. I caught a few passes but couldn't do much. Our all time QB did his best but didn't have anyone open most of the time. One play in particular the hok players decided not to even cover one of our worst players, so he went about 15 yards downfield wide open. Our QB hit him squarely in the chest, no one within 10 yards and he just dropped it. We were too inept overall at blocking to attempt run plays either.

I don't honestly remember if we scored. We only stopped them a few times.

My most vivid memory of the night was when they ran a toss with one of their female players to the outside and had decent blocking in front of her. I was frustrated and took off after her and forced her out of bounds. It was two hand touch so I was nice about it. The hoks were upset because they thought we'd let her score because she was a girl. I was too ticked off to let that happen.

Then we all went to the house where some of them lived and got drunk. I barely slept and felt like ass the next morning. But this was in 2000 so Sage and Enis took it to them in their own house, so that made me feel better.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Reminds me of the Souse Bowl when I was in the marching band. The sousaphone section for ISU would play the sousas from Iowa's band the night before the CyHawk game and then have a party. I only played sousa for one year before switching to baritone, but that one year we had to have the least athletic group of band geeks ever assembled. I mean I'm a terrible athlete and I looked good compared to my teammates. Some of them may never have touched a sports ball in their lifetimes.

We "practiced" a few times but it was pretty hopeless. Only a few of us were able to throw or possibly catch a football.

When we showed up at an intramural field in Iowa City, it was readily apparent that the hoks were way more dedicated than we were. They were running set up plays and almost scoring every play. We were just desperately trying to get a first down. They figured out who was at least capable of doing anything and swarmed us. I caught a few passes but couldn't do much. Our all time QB did his best but didn't have anyone open most of the time. One play in particular the hok players decided not to even cover one of our worst players, so he went about 15 yards downfield wide open. Our QB hit him squarely in the chest, no one within 10 yards and he just dropped it. We were too inept overall at blocking to attempt run plays either.

I don't honestly remember if we scored. We only stopped them a few times.

My most vivid memory of the night was when they ran a toss with one of their female players to the outside and had decent blocking in front of her. I was frustrated and took off after her and forced her out of bounds. It was two hand touch so I was nice about it. The hoks were upset because they thought we'd let her score because she was a girl. I was too ticked off to let that happen.

Then we all went to the house where some of them lived and got drunk. I barely slept and felt like ass the next morning. But this was in 2000 so Sage and Enis took it to them in their own house, so that made me feel better.
Thank you Sage and Enis for redeeming ISU for the piss poor performance in the Souse Bowl.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Three shining moments I can think of.

I scored 14 points in a CYO Basketball game once....after being poked in the eye at the beginning of the game and losing a contact.

I was on the "B" team in 7th grade. I got put into the game, only to become trapped by three defenders in the corner. With no outlet to pass to, I heaved the ball about 30 feet in the air and drained a shot from about 20 feet out.

I used to coach an amateur baseball team when I was 21. We were losing 10-7 heading into the bottom of the 9th. I decided to have a friend of mine pinch hit that didn't get much playing time and a player that was in the game made a smart ass remark about me giving up on winning because he thought the pinch hitter sucked. When I heard what he said, I went nuclear and launched into a verbal tirade on my own dugout that would make Lou Pinella blush, sent my bench player to go hit, and decided to put myself in the game at that point (I usually played everyone else who showed up before myself because I wanted to have enough guys to play games every week).

My pinch-hitter singled to right, I singled to left, put a pinch-runner in for myself and moved to coach third base. We rallied to score 4 in the 9th to win. I've never been so angry and satisfied at the same time at any point in my life.

This reminded me of when I played rec-league kickball a couple times and people took it wayyyy too seriously. If you won, you got free appetizers at the bar across the street. If you lost, you got free appetizers at the bar across the street. And it's kickball, people.

Similar thing happened in a basketball league. It was the lowest level, we sucked, and we had players getting into refs and other players' faces more than just playing. I just joined up to get up and down a bit and get a nice workout aside from running. We became a team that people hated playing because of the anger issues. Just stupid and one year I'd had enough and stopped playing.

Reactions: putsky

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
This reminded me of when I played rec-league kickball a couple times and people took it wayyyy too seriously. If you won, you got free appetizers at the bar across the street. If you lost, you got free appetizers at the bar across the street. And it's kickball, people.

Similar thing happened in a basketball league. It was the lowest level, we sucked, and we had players getting into refs and other players' faces more than just playing. I just joined up to get up and down a bit and get a nice workout aside from running. We became a team that people hated playing because of the anger issues. Just stupid and one year I'd had enough and stopped playing.

Anyone else find it ironic that this is coming from @madguy30 ? Anyone?

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I guess another semi shining moment in my otherwise dull life.
Years ago they had a short golf course at Twin Anchors campground.
There was a short par 4 about 230 yards. I hit a 7 wood off the tee about 2 feet from the pin, walked up and knocked down the eagle putt. I was playing by myself so the only eagle I ever got in my life was seen by no one.

TruClone

Mar 25, 2009
Quad Cities
Not my best performance but my favorite shining moment. When I was in my final year of little league baseball I had a game that went from the lowest of lows to the highest of highs. We were playing the best and undefeated team in the league that day. I was playing second base and booted a few easy hit balls in the first inning. The coach pulled me.

The day before I was at a friend's house and he had a bird nest in a tree. I climbed up a ways to get a look and felt a sharp pain in my right eye area. I had been stung by a wasp. This caused my eye to swell shut.

The swollen eye is probably the reason I booted the two easy hit balls, I could not see very well. Anyway, the bottom of the sixth inning we were down two runs with bases loaded, not sure how many outs there were. The coach looked down the bench and told me to put on my batting helmet. I nervously put it on and took my practice swings. I stepped into the batter's box and ripped a ball into right center, scoring three runs. We beat the undefeated team, 9-8. All of my teammates ran to me and carried me off the field.

I still have the newspaper clipping story from that game. Still makes me smile.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
So I was not a real athletic fellow, despite being 6'5" in High School. I was young for my class, and didn't really lose my "baby weight" until I got to ISU.

Anywho, my high school had this pep-rally thing, with a school wide "knock-out" tournament. That's that game where you shoot a free throw, and get the rebound until the guy behind you makes it. If he makes it before you, you're out.

So I was in this, and would make most my shots, or just grab the rebound and finger roll it in. Before I knew it, there was like 10 of us left (out of 60 or 70), and I was still shooting well. By this time, the "crowd" was wanting me to dunk it. Being kinda chubby, it was hard to dunk, so I just kept doing my thing. There was now 3 of us left, and I missed my free throw. I grabbed the ball, and went up for a "monster dunk." Give the people what they want. Crowd was eating it up, everybody was excited, this was my moment for glory.

I . . . didn't see the guy in front of me trying to chuck up a layup, and we kinda collided in mid-air. I think I landed on my back, and so did he.

I believe I got third in the contest, and a good lesson about something. I'm just not sure what is was.

• Winner
Reactions: cyhiphopp

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
So I was not a real athletic fellow, despite being 6'5" in High School. I was young for my class, and didn't really lose my "baby weight" until I got to ISU.

Anywho, my high school had this pep-rally thing, with a school wide "knock-out" tournament. That's that game where you shoot a free throw, and get the rebound until the guy behind you makes it. If he makes it before you, you're out.

So I was in this, and would make most my shots, or just grab the rebound and finger roll it in. Before I knew it, there was like 10 of us left (out of 60 or 70), and I was still shooting well. By this time, the "crowd" was wanting me to dunk it. Being kinda chubby, it was hard to dunk, so I just kept doing my thing. There was now 3 of us left, and I missed my free throw. I grabbed the ball, and went up for a "monster dunk." Give the people what they want. Crowd was eating it up, everybody was excited, this was my moment for glory.

I . . . didn't see the guy in front of me trying to chuck up a layup, and we kinda collided in mid-air. I think I landed on my back, and so did he.

I believe I got third in the contest, and a good lesson about something. I'm just not sure what is was.
The lesson is protect yourself when going up. Karl Malone would be a good teacher for this:

242386806_1731d90880.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: NickTheGreat

Help Support Us

Become a patron