Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Thanks to @NWICY for this one!

What are things you like doing the "old way?"

I prefer to make lists for shopping on paper rather than my phone. That way I don't have to keep waking the phone up or running down the battery - and I find it a little easier to organize my list that way.

What are yours?

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I still write out checks for utilities and credit card bills. Don't really like the idea of using my banking information for everything online. Plus, it gives the people at the Post Office something to do. Also, I prefer to buy things like clothes and shoes in person because I have to try everything on. If it came in the mail and didn't fit, I'd be a lot less likely to return it and end up wasting my money.

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to

I prefer to make lists for shopping on paper rather than my phone. That way I don't have to keep waking the phone up or running down the battery - and I find it a little easier to organize my list that way.

What are yours?

i sometimes like it if its just my wife and me in the b-room. yeah brandon is great and everything but sometimes u just need alone time w/ the wife. put on bonnie raitts angle from montgomery and pretend we r both big movie stars and just cuddle and treat each other nice and good. if u know what i mean. this is my old way jujst like when we newly weds over 15 years now.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
One thing is I cook as often as possible. I'm not good by any means, but it's way cheaper, less time consuming and easier than eating out.

Had some changes in career occur a couple of years ago, and while I wasn't exactly rich, my income flow changed, so I was forced to figure out a more manageable budget and it led me to taking out X amount of cash every week to spend. Makes me much more mindful of purchases and seems to help quite a bit.

I also ultimately refuse to take my phone with me for kayaking, running, etc. and just carry a self-made I.C.E. card and a whistle for if something happens and someone finds me. People say 'What if something happens?' and last I checked my smart phone doesn't prevent tragedies.

Also use a Gazetteer when I'm out adventuring.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Actually talking to people vs texting.

In person, I definitely agree.

For phone conversations, it depends. If there's something that can be communicated in a single text exchange, I prefer text. I don't want to answer the phone for a 20 second exchange. But if you have something more detailed, I'd rather call.

cyyote15

Nov 3, 2013
Sioux Falls, SD
I also wear nice, old-school watches. I understand the point of Fitbits and Apple Watches, but a) I don't like the way they look, and b) I don't really need technology with me every second of my life.

I got an Apple watch from my employers for Christmas and I can tell you, you aren't missing out on anything. It is nice for the quick text or screening calls, but that is it. I wear my regular watches way more than I wear the apple watch.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
This doesn’t really count since I prefer watching, but I am more than ok with listening to Cubs baseball on the radio. In large part mostly cause the cubs radio guys are the best in the business but there’s something great about listening

Reactions: wxman1 and Angie

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I also wear nice, old-school watches. I understand the point of Fitbits and Apple Watches, but a) I don't like the way they look, and b) I don't really need technology with me every second of my life.

Like I need one more thing to keep charged. Same for wireless headphones.

• Winner

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Pondering the question for a few minutes, I realize I embrace convenience more than I would've guessed. I'm not always quick to adapt to new-fashioned stuff, but once I get a feel for it, I tend to go with it.

A few examples of my stuck-in-the-mudness.
* As @Angie noted, shopping lists on-paper instead of app-oriented.
* For any extended text-task, more comfortable on desktop computer vs. mobile device or tablet.
* Online communication as it applies to workflow stuff -- I still haven't embraced Google Docs and meeting invitations and such. I understand the goal of efficiency, a way to organize projects that involve several people at multiple sites. But there are situations when a basic email to the appropriate parties will suffice.
* For travel: I don't miss the folding-map era, but I still approach trip-planning the old-fashioned way -- research the route, scrawl the necessary info on a scrap of paper. Biggest drawback of this: Forgetting to take the scrap of paper with me. Then I just call Siri, using my rotary dial car phone.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis

What are yours?

I cannot and will not read newspapers online or in phone. I still love reading a true newspaper over lunch.

Reactions: NWICY and Angie

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Pondering the question for a few minutes, I realize I embrace convenience more than I would've guessed. I'm not always quick to adapt to new-fashioned stuff, but once I get a feel for it, I tend to go with it.

A few examples of my stuck-in-the-mudness.
* As @Angie noted, shopping lists on-paper instead of app-oriented.
* For any extended text-task, more comfortable on desktop computer vs. mobile device or tablet.
* Online communication as it applies to workflow stuff -- I still haven't embraced Google Docs and meeting invitations and such. I understand the goal of efficiency, a way to organize projects that involve several people at multiple sites. But there are situations when a basic email to the appropriate parties will suffice.
* For travel: I don't miss the folding-map era, but I still approach trip-planning the old-fashioned way -- research the route, scrawl the necessary info on a scrap of paper. Biggest drawback of this: Forgetting to take the scrap of paper with me. Then I just call Siri, using my rotary dial car phone.

Travel is one where I'm with you. If I'm going somewhere I'm not sure of, I'll at least pull it up on Google Maps, and eyeball it to get an idea of what's what. I also like trying alternate routes to different places to see if there's a better way than what Google may tell me. It's really helped me out when there's a wreck on the way home and I know where I can bail out and bypass it.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I got an Apple watch from my employers for Christmas and I can tell you, you aren't missing out on anything. It is nice for the quick text or screening calls, but that is it. I wear my regular watches way more than I wear the apple watch.

I'm so glad to hear that - yeah, I can see where it would be nice to not necessarily have to go find your phone to screen a call/text, but I just don't want to be reachable 24/7!

Like I need one more thing to keep charged. Same for wireless headphones.

Oh my gosh, traveling just becomes more complicated with more devices. I do like that my new wireless headphones are rechargable in comparison to my previous wired version that just used a ton of AA batteries - but ones that plug in and don't need a power source are way easier. Also - I saw you from a ways away last night and didn't get a chance to say hi!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron