SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Ticket to Ride
Forbidden Island
Yahtzee
Qwirkle
Dragonwood

I got Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle for Christmas. Cooperative deck builder that we've been playing a lot. Awesome game.

Looking forward to checking out Star Wars Rebellion some time, just don't know how much my wife will enjoy it. Imperial Assault looks cool but dungeon crawlers are a bit too D&D for me.

Reactions: Angie

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Scrabble FTW (I'm also on Words With Friends)
Trivial Pursuit
Chess
Parcheesi (childhood favorite)

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Was this the Star Wars X-Wing Miniatures game? I had the same experience with my family. My son thought it seemed cool, but at 7 just doesn't have the attention span.

Also had a recent experience with a game called Zombicide. We did get through one round of that one at least. Was fun and I'd recommend it for zombie fans.

I'll have to look...on second thought, it might have been a Lord of the Rings game. All I remember is that it was a battle of sorts. I'll have to dust off the box and look.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
A good friend and I got really into Monopoly on a strategic level, to the point where we couldn't play with "normal" people anymore and they'd shake their heads in disgust at what we had turned their childhood game into.

• Funny

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
My problem with trivia games is that we go through the cards and then what? Everyone but me remembers the answers.

We have played some JackBox games on our phones. Not sure if they would have a more endless source of trivia or not.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Ticket to Ride is awesome. My 9 year old really likes it too, but my 7 year old doesn't have the attention span for it.

When my kids were about 7 they really liked Pirateer. I was pretty sad when the oldest two of them became obsessed with Risk because they would need a third and their little brothers didn't have the attention span (and neither did I really). So I wound up playing a lot of Risk.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
When I was in grad school we used to play a game called Cashflow. It was a way of analyzing investments and how one could get out of the "rat race" and build wealth.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
When my kids were about 7 they really liked Pirateer. I was pretty sad when the oldest two of them became obsessed with Risk because they would need a third and their little brothers didn't have the attention span (and neither did I really). So I wound up playing a lot of Risk.
We stopped playing Risk when a couple of the boys started attacking just to piss people off, rather than anything strategic. Made the game less fun.

Help Support Us

Become a patron