Friday OT #2 - Nerd Wars!

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I had an ex-boyfriend who liked playing Settlers of Catan (sp?) on occasion with one of his roommates.

Do you play board games? What are your favorites?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I love board games, and my favorite ones are the complex ones. With that said, here's a short story.

Bought a Star Wars themed game with an instruction manual that was about 30 pages long. Read it through about six times over the span of a week, then sat down with my wife and son to play and spent about 10 minutes explaining the rules. When I finally got out of my 'splaining zone, I looked at both of them and they had a look on their face like I had just done a dissertation on quantum physics. We did not play that game.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Chess and Stratego top my list. My wife and daughter love Clue and Sequence, mainly because I suck at them and they can throttle me repeatedly.

Dad tip - If your kid wants to play a board game, just do it. They remember those times more than you realize.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I also like board games and try to play them at least once a week with my family. Find many of them a little too simple to really spend a lot of time on. I think I've played Settlers of Catan once. A friend of a friend liked to play the game every week and always boasts of his Mensa membership. I won. I did enjoy the game.

Reactions: Doc and Angie

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
My daughter and her husband come over most weekends to settle Catan. Got them the Sea Farers addition for X-mas. Hoping they'll bring that with them this weekend.

Every now and then, we'll break out Clue, for some mindless entertainment.

Reactions: Doc and Angie

Cyowan008

Feb 27, 2014
Ankeny, IA
I really enjoy a game of risk. I got the Lord of the Rings edition for a present and man did they put a spin on it with that one.

Reactions: Angie

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
When I was in college, my brother, my girlfriend and I played a lot of Boggle. We mentioned going for a round while in the dorm den, and this guy says, "Boggle? I've never been beaten." So we invited him to join. All three of us crushed him, and his dreams. Never really liked him anyway.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Growing up, we used to play marathon Monopoly games with the neighbor kids, sometimes lasting a few days. No breaking down the money -- just hand out 3 $500 to each player and start rolling dice.

Reactions: Angie

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Board game junkie here. When friends visit that's what we usually do.

1. Carcassonne
2. Catan
3. Ticket to Ride
4. Monopoly
5. Kingsburg
6. Kill Dr. Lucky
7. Clue (discover the secrets version)
8. Chess
9. Straego
10. Checkers for fun

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
We love Ticket to Ride, Marklin edition. We played that one before we played the USA one - we prefer the Marklin version.

A lesser known game that we like to play is Outwageous. It combines trivia with betting (you can earn chips by betting on whether or not the person can answer a question correctly (categories are known). Some of my family are not good at trivia, but are VERY good at betting...this game is fun for both factions.

For party games, you can't beat Telestrations (best if you have at least 8 people).

Reactions: cyhiphopp and Angie

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
If you like games with a stable set of rules, go with Ticket to Ride.
If you like games where you have to read instructions to figure out each turn, go with Pandemic.
disclaimer: we have both - I hate games like Pandemic, but that's just me. :)

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Apropos to this OT thread: on my radio station they were just talking about this contest that Hasbro had for Monopoly. Fans have voted the thimble (one of the original game pieces) off the game. Suggested replacements: sunglasses, four different emoji faces, and a hashtag.

• Dislike
Reactions: VeloClone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron