Friday OT #2 - Kickin' Your Cat All Over the Place

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
First thing I go to regarding misheard lyrics is Till Tuesday's Voices Carry.

I can either hear "This is scary" or "this is Carrie"

Aimee Mann CAN be a little difficult to understand at times - her solo version of that is more haunting and I prefer it, partially because it's easier to understand!

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Aimee Mann CAN be a little difficult to understand at times - her solo version of that is more haunting and I prefer it, partially because it's easier to understand!

Every time I hear it I pay close attention can't hear the word voices. I'll have to listen to the solo you mentioned above.

Reactions: Angie

rdtindsm

Jan 30, 2008
Driving home late at night from a bike race in some state south of Omaha, we were listening to what must have been a clear channel station. The object of the game was to take the last statement made and reply as though it had been misheard, like "telephone". There were several that had us in stitches - wish I could remember to share.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Two others I didn’t mention prior, stumbled into recollection in the past few days.

Misheard: You’re an a**hole, girl.
Actual: You’re a soldier
“You’re A Soldier,” Husker Du (first refrain around 20 sec mark)

Misheard: Sat on a fence, like a dumbf***
Actual: Sat on a fence, but it don’t work
— “Under Pressure,” Queen w/ David Bowie

Begins around 2:02 mark: Under Pressure
My theory of why I misheard it initially — Mercury & Bowie's singing on the interlude, diction overlaps in a funny way ..

I know, I keep bumping this thread with new examples. When you're a pop-music obsessive and a language-geek, that's bound to happen.

• Funny

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
I used to hear the Fall Out Boy's-7 Minutes in Heaven lyric, "I keep telling myself, I keep telling myself" as "I'm kicked out of Knoxville, I'm kicked out of Knoxville".

• Funny

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
From Martin Page's "In the House of Stone and Light"

Actual lyric "In the house of stone and light And when I go I will op - open my eyes"

What I've always heard: "In the house of stone and light And when I go with a lump of poop in my eyes"

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
A few more have come up while listening to my morning radio show.

In Calvin Harris featuring Katy Perry song Feels

Line Don't be afraid to catch feels sounds like don't be afraid to catch fish

Charlie Puth's, "Attention"
Misheard Lyrics:
Throwing that turtle on my knee
Original Lyrics:
Throwing that dirt all on my name

Another Katy Perry one from a few years back

"Birthday"
Misheard Lyrics:
Make you lick your butt crack every day!
Original Lyrics:
Make it like your birthday every day!

Reactions: cyclones500

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Ex-wife's misheard lyrics always made me laugh:

No dogs of hasm in the classroom. "No dark sarcasm in the classroom..." Pink Floyd
Big ol' Chad had a light on, carry me too far away. "Big o' jet airliner..." - Steve Miller Band

As for mine... I could never quite figure out that Clapton was saying "Layla" as I'd never heard anyone named that. So as a young kid in the 70's I thought he must have been saying "Lady love".

rdtindsm

Jan 30, 2008
Johnny Horton had CW hit many years ago with "North to Alaska". Although the lyrics specifically state that the song took place in '92, 30 years after the territory was bought from Russia, the refrain says that big George and his younger brother Billy were going "north to the Russian zone". Makes sense. Takes a long time to kill a culture. One of the women that was in Peace Corps with me was from Alaska and spoke Russian because the language is still alive in the state.

But I am rambling, as I am wont to do. The actual lyric said the that George and Billy were going "north, the rush is on".

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
My older sister corrected me that the George Harrison song was "My Sweet Lori" not "My Sweet Lord" as he would never sing a song about religion. This was right at the beginning of it's popularity and I foolishly believed her. She was not up on pop culture icon facts and that seemed to make a lot of sense to me; at the time.

Of course about a week later I got to throw that back in her face.

Reactions: cyclones500

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
A common one (I assume) that I don’t remember being mentioned in the thread:
Misheard: Oh, they do respect her butt/They love to watch her strut.
Actual: Oh, they do respect her, but they love to watch her strut.
— “Her Strut,” Bob Seger

That reminded me of the Carole King song from Tapestry - and earlier recorded by the Shirelles, "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow."

She/They sing, "Can I believe the magic of your sighs."
I of the filthy mind, I guess, heard it as, "Can I believe the magic of your size." Thinking she was singing about his manhood. I really couldn't figure out how the song made it on early 60's radio.