Friday OT #2 - High School Reunions

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Have never gone and won't ever go. We just talked about why, basically. And I haven't been back there in 10+ years since parents moved away and don't really talk to anyone in my class either. I would go to your class reunion before mine...had more friends a year below me!

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
My 5th is supposed to be this summer but I haven't heard anything about it. I am hoping no one puts it together so I don't feel obligated to go.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Have never gone and won't ever go. We just talked about why, basically. And I haven't been back there in 10+ years since parents moved away and don't really talk to anyone in my class either. I would go to your class reunion before mine...had more friends a year below me!

Yeah, I can't imagine that your class reunion would be a great time, and I'm so sorry about that. :skeptical: We were pretty lucky in our class, and the class ahead of you was also a really good one.

I was thinking the other day about our math classes, like when Dale taught geometry. Man, there were some turds in your class. I'm so sorry about that. I mean, we had our own, but at least they were a tiny bit more progressive.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Do you all contact your high school with your updated address when you move? I think we're supposed to do that, but I never have.

They usually have a list of people they can't get a hold of (invites came back). They send that list to all the others and most of the time SOMEBODY knows where most of them are at.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Yeah, I can't imagine that your class reunion would be a great time, and I'm so sorry about that. :skeptical: We were pretty lucky in our class, and the class ahead of you was also a really good one.

I was thinking the other day about our math classes, like when Dale taught geometry. Man, there were some turds in your class. I'm so sorry about that. I mean, we had our own, but at least they were a tiny bit more progressive.

spot on. although the class ahead of me was only a little better. they were very clique-y. at least the guys. your class was the most fun. my class was bad. i always thought our class song was the stupidest choice for graduation. really none of us were close friends and our song? "Friends" by Michael W. Smith. <Insert masturbation gesture here>

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
spot on. although the class ahead of me was only a little better. they were very clique-y. at least the guys. your class was the most fun. my class was bad. i always thought our class song was the stupidest choice for graduation. really none of us were close friends and our song? "Friends" by Michael W. Smith. <Insert masturbation gesture here>

I remember your guys' graduation, and rolling my eyes at that choice. Particularly the line, "A lifetime's not too long to live as friends" - yeah, how many of those peeps do you see regularly? I'd guess very few see each other.

My class really, REALLY came close to voting "The Gambler" as our class song. Much more of a sense of humor and honesty.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I come from a very small school. I'm pretty sure that makes a difference on activity and desire to attend.

5 year I attended. Was a good time. Aligned with our towns 100 year centennial. I'm not sure it really qualified as a reunion though. It was basically a bunch of old friends standing around a keg in my buddies garage.

10 year I attended. They tried to make it more reunion like. Catered meal etc. Was ok, but overall pretty sad. Majority of the class was living in the same place, doing the same things, and the same people since HS.

15 year never happened as far as I know.

20 year I think we are going to go back to the standing around in a guys garage plan. My beer tastes have evolved in 15 years though so hopefully not the same keg plan.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I missed my 5 year because I had other stuff going on. I'm hoping to go back to my 10 year next summer. As soon as I graduated high school (in Ohio) I moved out to Iowa to be with my parents. My dad accepted a job in Muscatine during my senior year, so I stayed back and finished out HS. That being said, I've fallen out of touch with most of my classmates, so it'd be fun to catch up.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
I brought this up because this weekend is our 15th. For the 5 year there was a family pot luck then a Saturday night event at a local bar. Didn't go to the pot luck and wasn't planning on the bar event because I was a nobody in high school for most part and figured people didn't change. I went to the bar event and found people who never talked in high school talking like best friends. So now I'm all in. Tonight our class is doing a bonfire on a classmates farm, family potluck tomorrow at noon afternoon is misc. activities, and a Saturday night we have a local bar reserved for us.

That sounds a lot better planned than mine. I think they've decided to get together on a Saturday at a lake..... They really haven't done a lot of planning it seems like yet. I AM surprised by how many people they can't find contact information for.

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Went to my 10 year. Seemed too much like high school so haven't been to another. I prefer just to actually stay in touch with my friends in other ways.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I went to my 5-year last summer. A little over half of the 55-person class showed up, but not that many of my closer friends. The only reason I'll keep going to them is because there's always a chance it'll be the last time I see one of my best friends from high school. That guy does some stupid **** when he's drunk, and it's a miracle he's made it to age 24.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I think the key is to go to them without the mental reservations and preconceptions that you had in the past, and don't assume anyone else has them either. It's funny how, with the wrong mindset, you can go back in time and have the same insecurities that you had as a teenager just by dropping back into the same group. That's not a slam on anyone, just an observation on people (and on myself, as I had to do a little thinking before going to mine, and I was glad I did).

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Funny thing about this thread...I walked 20 years ago today.

I'm trying to think if I've ever received an invitation for any HS reunion...don't believe so. Would I go? Ehh..probably not. I had a graduating class of 737, and I can think of maybe 10 people in my class I'd like to see. Plus, many of my closer friends in HS were not in my graduating class. I did return a couple of years ago for a marching band reunion, but even then, I only knew about four people that were in band when I was. (Spanning 7 graduating classes)

My parents' 50th HS reunion is next year.
:eek:

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I went to the 5 and 10 year reunions and had a bunch of fun. I pretty much liked all the people in my class. They're probably going to be more difficult to go to in the future, though, but I'd like to go.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I come from a very small school. I'm pretty sure that makes a difference on activity and desire to attend.

5 year I attended. Was a good time. Aligned with our towns 100 year centennial. I'm not sure it really qualified as a reunion though. It was basically a bunch of old friends standing around a keg in my buddies garage.

10 year I attended. They tried to make it more reunion like. Catered meal etc. Was ok, but overall pretty sad. Majority of the class was living in the same place, doing the same things, and the same people since HS.

15 year never happened as far as I know.

20 year I think we are going to go back to the standing around in a guys garage plan. My beer tastes have evolved in 15 years though so hopefully not the same keg plan.

I really don't get the push for the Country Club/Fancy dinner thing. You were in the same crappy school rooms, lunch rooms, gym classes. I'd rather just keep it fun and informal. Stand around and talk. Yeah, have some presentations and look-backs, and even some music, but what fun is it to sit next to 4 or 5 people then not ever mingle with the rest? It just seems a little phony and pretentious to me.

I hated our work Christmas "Party" because it was the same formal set up.

I'm just not the formal guy... obviously

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
This question was brought to us by CycloneRulzzz.

Have you had a high school reunion? Did you go? Would you go again in the future?

I haven't gone to mine, not sure if I'll go in the future. It seems like there's not a lot of activity at them.

I assume that there would be a 10-year reunion or my class next year, but I can't say I have any real desire to go. I didn't have a good enough time in high school to think of them as the glory days, and I didn't have a bad enough time in high school to feel the need to go back and rub anything in people's faces. It was just a time that happened. Facebook makes it easy enough to keep up with the handful of people from back home I'd actually care about.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
We didn't have a 5 and I skipped the 10. They had it on the Saturday of the ISU-Iowa FB game. 3 hours from Ames :twitcy:

Cybirdy

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Whe I say country club for ours, it really isn't fancy schmantzy. One of the only places in our small town to do something like that, we have a nice 9 hole course but it definitely isn't exclusive or anything.

I forgot we went to a couple all school reunions for my hubby. Probably fewer from each class than if you would have an individual reunion but that way you can see those people in grades above or below yours.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
From what I know our 10 year was coordinated and invites sent through facebook. I thought that was kind of low rent. Being that I don't do facebook... would not have went anyway. People I wanted to stay in touch with, I have. Life evolves the way it should, no sense holding onto, or attempting to relive what was.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron