Friday OT #2 - Dude Gifts

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
What is the best Father's Day gift you could possibly get your own father, money notwithstanding? If you're a father (or if you aren't but may theoretically be someday), what is the best Father's Day gift someone could get for you?

(Sorry for the seeming exclusion, ladies - feel free to post your Mother's Day ones, too!)

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
i did it...took my Dad to Pebble Beach and played golf. I paid $400 to "play" but spent most of my time watching him on the course. One of the best experiences I've ever had...paid for caddie's and everything.

For me? I just love watching my kids do what they love and doing it well. I don't need anything tangible...feels weird for me to have my kids "give" me anything. A hug?

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
i did it...took my Dad to Pebble Beach and played golf. I paid $400 to "play" but spent most of my time watching him on the course. One of the best experiences I've ever had...paid for caddie's and everything.

For me? I just love watching my kids do what they love and doing it well. I don't need anything tangible...feels weird for me to have my kids "give" me anything. A hug?

Geez, way to post a "top that" thread-killer right out of the gate! ;) Those are both so awesome!

• Funny
Reactions: Gossamer

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
For my Dad, once I got him a custom embroidered hat with the name of his Navy ship on it. I think that meant a lot to him.

For myself, a few years ago, my boy bought me a video game on Steam that I had been wanting (without telling me, I logged in and got the message that I had received a gift). He was just starting working, and it was the first gift he had given out of his own earnings. That was very cool.

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
For my Dad, once I got him a custom embroidered hat with the name of his Navy ship on it. I think that meant a lot to him.

For myself, a few years ago, my boy bought me a video game on Steam that I had been wanting (without telling me, I logged in and got the message that I had received a gift). He was just starting working, and it was the first gift he had given out of his own earnings. That was very cool.

That's cool...I did something similar. My dad was on the USS Iwo Jima in Vietnam. His ship has since been decommissioned but I bought him a pull over with his ship on it...he wore it out faster than anything he's ever been given. I can't relate but the Navy guys in the war really have a special bond with their ships.

cycart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2012
Johnston, IA
If money was no option, I would love to pay for a trip where my dad could ride motorcycle through the alps.

Reactions: Angie

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
That's cool...I did something similar. My dad was on the USS Iwo Jima in Vietnam. His ship has since been decommissioned but I bought him a pull over with his ship on it...he wore it out faster than anything he's ever been given. I can't relate but the Navy guys in the war really have a special bond with their ships.

Same, my dad was on the USS Lofberg (destroyer) in Vietnam. He wears that hat everywhere, and loves it when people stop him to talk about it.

Reactions: Angie

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
If I could have gotten my Dad anything, it probably would have been a new set of golf clubs. He loved golf - as I do - and he never had a really nice set. He was still hitting an old persimmon wood driver up to the end.

The nicest Father's Day gift I've ever gotten was from our baby, Hannah - the youngest - a few years ago. She made a beautiful tribute on some very nice metallic paper, done in calligraphy, the whole thing. Matted and framed it and of course made me open it in front of the vixen and the rest of the girls. It was very touching - perhaps I'll take a screen shot of it with my camera and post it here sometime. Yeah, I cried. Those things don't happen very often, and they are wonderful.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
My dad is 89. My guess is he would love to have his 4 sons sit around and watch a baseball game with him.

To that end, it wasn't for Father's Day, but I loaded up my 2 kids and drove 3 hours round trip to watch game 7 of the World Series with my dad in 2016. He's a lifelong Cub fan (I am not) so it was well worth the effort to see them finally reward him with a championship. My kids were long asleep by the time the game ended but it was cool to see the look on his face and I know that's a memory that I'll always cherish when he's gone.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Probably a generic tie.

My family has a story of a relative as a kid going into his dad's closet and wrapping up one of his ties. The dad opens the gift and says "I really like it but I'm worried it's pretty similar to a tie I already have." He goes to his closet, looks through his ties and says, "Hmm, I guess not, you must just have a really good sense of the style I like."

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
My Dad always loved fishing and picnics. We always did that and as kids we would all buy him some new lure or other gear.

When he got older, it got harder for him to fish just walking to the lake or pond. One of his last Father’s Days, my brother and I took him to a friend’s pond where we could drive him right up to the water. KIds helped him with his snags. Fish cleaning station right there and we had a picnic shore lunch.

My husband and boys always try to fish on Father’s Day for Grandpa.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
This will be a different fathers day this year. Wife's dad passed away a few months ago. Usually it was do something for him and then either late at night or early before church, they would give me anything they bought me. So it will be odd being considered a father on fathers day. (even though the oldest of 3 is 17)

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
The best gift for my dad right now would be a big check that he could put towards tinkering on his cars. He has a 70 something Buick Regal Turbo that has sat in his shop for 20+ years as us girls grew up. He's started working on it a little recently but he doesn't have as much expendable income to put towards it as I'm sure he would like.

This year in particular I planned on getting him a bocce ball set since he was recently talking about how the family set had broken years ago (cheap water-filled ones). I sent a text to my sister and step-mom to make sure neither had already purchased one yet and step-mom replied that he had bought himself one just the night before. :rolleyes:

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
That's a tough one with my dad. I think maybe it would be to take him to Yankee Stadium for a game, he grew up in the 50s so those are his heroes. Maybe Cooperstown on the way home. I should have tried to take him with us to the Pinstripe when we went to that...

The tough part is he hates to travel, and doesn't like big cities, so getting him to go would be a challenge.

Mom would be easier. I would take her to Oz/NZ for a month or two to see everything.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The best gift for my dad right now would be a big check that he could put towards tinkering on his cars. He has a 70 something Buick Regal Turbo that has sat in his shop for 20+ years as us girls grew up. He's started working on it a little recently but he doesn't have as much expendable income to put towards it as I'm sure he would like.

This year in particular I planned on getting him a bocce ball set since he was recently talking about how the family set had broken years ago (cheap water-filled ones). I sent a text to my sister and step-mom to make sure neither had already purchased one yet and step-mom replied that he had bought himself one just the night before. :rolleyes:

This sounds like a candidate for the Garage Squad. They pick projects like this. Heck, what have got to lose? Totes serious.

If you get picked you have to introduce me to Heather Storm. ;)

https://garagesquad.tv/submission-form/

Garage-Squad.jpg

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron