Friday OT #2: BRATS

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
All these movies and John Hughes movies now seem super weird to be all white people, but that aside, The Breakfast Club has actually aged very well compared to stuff like St Elmo. I think TBC hits on some universal truths of growing up.

Once when I was living in Chicago I took a little day trip to a quiet suburban beach with my gf (now wife) and I laid down to relax on this little brick wall and it all felt incredibly familiar. I slowly realized I was laying exactly where Cameron was laying when he had his breakdown in Ferris Bueller, Glencoe Beach.
I've always felt Some Kind of Wonderful was his best, Hughes wrote it but it had a different director, which I think is noticeable when you compare it to the other HS/teen angst movies he wrote and directed. Just had a different feel. Plus, Lea Thompson.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I've always felt Some Kind of Wonderful was his best, Hughes wrote it but it had a different director, which I think is noticeable when you compare it to the other HS/teen angst movies he wrote and directed. Just had a different feel. Plus, Lea Thompson.

Supposedly it was very close to her being in BTTF with Stoltz instead of Fox.

Reactions: Angie

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Supposedly it was very close to her being in BTTF with Stoltz instead of Fox.
Stolz had actually filmed part of the movie, but they were editing as they were shooting and decided it wasn't working out. They replaced him with Fox at that point. They also replaced the girlfriend with another actor as she was too tall compared to Fox. They did find Lea Thompson because of her work with Stoltz

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Stolz had actually filmed part of the movie, but they were editing as they were shooting and decided it wasn't working out. They replaced him with Fox at that point. They also replaced the girlfriend with another actor as she was too tall compared to Fox. They did find Lea Thompson because of her work with Stoltz
Stoltz is still in the movie. Around the :32-:33 mark, it's Stoltz's fist that "punches" Biff. They'd already shot it and figured since you can't see Marty's face they didn't need to reshoot.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I'll go individual here:
  • Emilio............ Breakfast Club
  • Anthony Michael Hall.... Vacation
  • Rob Lowe... Class
  • Andrew McCarthy..... St Elmo's Fire
  • Demi Moore.... don't look at her as Brat pack
  • Judd Nelson... Breakfast Club
  • Molly Ringwald... Sixteen Candles
  • Ally Sheedy.... Breakfast Club
Best Movie: Breakfast Club
Ally Sheedy has to be at least War Games or Short Circuit, not Breakfast Club.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Stoltz is still in the movie. Around the :32-:33 mark, it's Stoltz's fist that "punches" Biff. They'd already shot it and figured since you can't see Marty's face they didn't need to reshoot.

I learned in this BRATS bratwurst documentary last night that Andrew McCarthy is wearing a wig in the final scenes of Pretty in Pink. The audiences hated original ending and they had to reshoot the ending, he was already in a play in NYC where he shaved his head to look like a Marine so they put a wig on him.

• Informative
Reactions: Angie and JP4CY

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Ally Sheedy has to be at least War Games or Short Circuit, not Breakfast Club.

I think a lot of people really relate to her character in TBC.

One of my best friends in college reminded me so much of her TBC character I'd just laugh sometimes. She was so cute, smart and funny but just chose to be an oddball and I loved it.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I learned in this BRATS bratwurst documentary last night that Andrew McCarthy is wearing a wig in the final scenes of Pretty in Pink. The audiences hated original ending and they had to reshoot the ending, he was already in a play in NYC where he shaved his head to look like a Marine so they put a wig on him.
Yep. The original ending had Andie ending up with Duckie, and it didn't go over well with test audiences.

I knew about McCarthy's wig, but didn't know it was for a play, I thought it was for another movie.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Last night I watched Brats on Hulu. It's a documentary from Andrew McCarthy about the 80s "brat pack."
So, what is your favorite movie ever by a brat pack member?

The "official" unofficial list is:
I'll probably go with Anthony Michael Hall as Rusty in Vacation.

How was the documentary? It sounds relevant to my interests.

I also think “Pretty In Pink” is criminally underrated. James Spader as the bad guy Stef is sooo much more likable than Blaine (Andrew McCarthy).

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Yep. The original ending had Andie ending up with Duckie, and it didn't go over well with test audiences.

I knew about McCarthy's wig, but didn't know it was for a play, I thought it was for another movie.

Duckie was the right choice, so it is a shame. Also it is amazing how Andie took two sort-of okay dresses and made them into the ugliest dress in the world.

Reactions: Gonzo

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
With all of the Brat Pack love, I think we'd all be remiss if we didn't give at least a little love to the exceptional character actor John Kapelos, who delivered memorable scenes in many John Hughes movies.

b0174bae674c515b9b075fd351cf8591_xl.jpg

As Carl the janitor in The Breakfast Club.

sixteen-candles-1984-john-kapelos-blanche-baker.jpg

As Rudy the groom in Sixteen Candles.

MV5BNzBlZGM1YjYtZmRjNy00ZDMwLThiMjktMTk0MWU2YzdhY2E0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTcwNTE1Ng@@._V1_.jpg

As Dino in Weird Science.

He also had a small part in Class with McCarthy and Lowe.

• Friendly
Reactions: baller21 and Angie

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I would throw out Less Than Zero for Andrew McCarty. Also "starred" Jamie Gertz, Robert Downey Jr. & James Spader. A little more edgy than Brat Pack stuff.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Duckie was the right choice, so it is a shame. Also it is amazing how Andie took two sort-of okay dresses and made them into the ugliest dress in the world.
Torn on Duckie and Andie ending up together. Love Duckie, but I think Andie would've been bored of him in a matter of weeks.

The dress was definitely something. But how about Harry Dean Stanton? One of the great underrated actors of our time.

• Agree

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Torn on Duckie and Andie ending up together. Love Duckie, but I think Andie would've been bored of him in a matter of weeks.

The dress was definitely something. But how about Harry Dean Stanton? One of the great underrated actors of our time.

Agreed. He took a character who is empirically unsympathetic, when you look at it - just not doing anything to help out his daughter or himself to improve their station in life for most of the film. But Stanton makes him tragic.

• Agree
Reactions: Gonzo

JP4CY

Doesn't quickly stand up when the plane lands.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
How was the documentary? It sounds relevant to my interests.

I also think “Pretty In Pink” is criminally underrated. James Spader as the bad guy Stef is sooo much more likable than Blaine (Andrew McCarthy).
Good. Too much "interest" maybe in the name "brat pack" but maybe that's the point.
I didn't realize how hurt some of them were by that name.
To be honest, they all seemed very down to earth. Emilio seemed super down to earth. Also lives in a house that looks perfect for my personality.

I think this could have been a series.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Good. Too much "interest" maybe in the name "brat pack" but maybe that's the point.
I didn't realize how hurt some of them were by that name.
To be honest, they all seemed very down to earth. Emilio seemed super down to earth. Also lives in a house that looks perfect for my personality.

I think this could have been a series.
That is really interesting! I will check it out, thanks! I watched the Punky Brewster one about teen actors in the 90s when it came out a year or two ago.

Reactions: JP4CY

JP4CY

Doesn't quickly stand up when the plane lands.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
That is really interesting! I will check it out, thanks! I watched the Punky Brewster one about teen actors in the 90s when it came out a year or two ago.
Have you watched Quiet on Set, yet? Sad.