Friday OT #2 - Avatar (But Not By James Cameron)

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
LOTR fan, love this part of the book/movie, love how the "modern" language fits this scene, female on a male dominated board (even if my username is obviously female). Not even sure where or how or why I found this avatar.

I switched ONCE several years ago during Christmas...I think to a Christmas-y Tardis. Switched back after the holidays, and haven't changed since.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I changed mine this year to my 2nd one. It went from a Grateful Dead theme to a hippo.

The hippo was chosen because hippos are some of the only animals that kill for fun. Cats, humans and dolphins also do this.

Hippos kill for fun.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
It's a picture of me playing the bagpipes in the snow. I just thought it was a really cool picture.

Also, @Angie, I know you've had this avatar for a few years, but I still always think you you as having the Alice avatar

@C.John gave me that one years ago! I love it, but it got overwritten in a site upgrade, and it didn't feel right to put it back in on my own, as it was originally a gift!

• Friendly
Reactions: C.John

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Back in the day, my old college roommate worked at the record store on Welch. He scored some sneak-peek tickets to see Dazed and Confused from a vendor, so a group of us drank and then went to see it. I fell in love with the movie. I could put names from high school on damn near every character.

I've had a few different pics over the years, but I've stuck with this one for awhile now.

Last edited:

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
For avatars in general, consistency is preferred imo.
I'm a visual learner, I can't remember all the vague and similar-sounding usernames to save my life, so the avatar typically is the easiest person(ality) identifier.

My own avatar, well...it's me!
It's me while drinking whiskey around a hotel courtyard fireplace, mean mugging the friend that caught me by surprise with her camera.

Why a photo of me?
I hit a point not too long ago where I contemplated the fact this no longer our fun geocities, midi, a/s/l Internet of 2001 that we grew up knowing and loving. I figured putting my actual face to the profile could lead to a momentous positive change in forum culture. Removing the animosity from message board posting will help us come together in these divisive times and be more excellent to one another.

Obviously that is not happening (yet!), so at least the lack of animosity on my own profile keeps me from too often falling victim to the appeal of being a total sarcastic jerk (especially on gameday threads).

P.S. @Angie, I do love the Mabel avatar, it brings joy to even the most contentious threads here on CF. Gravity Falls is one of the most overlooked, underappreciated shows of the past decade.

rs_400x173-190320121201-500-bill-ted-032019.gif

Reactions: CRCy17 and Angie

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
I’ve always used something random ISU related. Currently its obviously Corso. I think someone else has something similar, so I should probably change. Before that it was Blaise Bryant with his awesome hair that I saw when looking up something in one of the ISU record/media guides. Before that it was Jessica Simpson with the ISU volleyball team because of it’s randomness.

Reactions: Angie

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Dr. Strangelove has been an avatar I've used on forums for over a decade. I was enthralled with the movie the first time I saw it, and I find the black humor of the film to be a proper fit to this day.

Reactions: oldman and Angie

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Mine is a pitcher from the KBO who just lost a game by balking the winning run. I thought it expressed my general bewilderment adequately.

Been thinking about switching to an anime girl eating a burger just to weird people out a bit.

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
My avatar is a pendant I bought after my father passed away in 2017. He was cremated and the pendant contains some of his ashes. Whenever I travel back to Iowa I bring it with me.

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Velo is French for bicycle so that is where the high wheel bike comes from. I had another penny farthing avatar from the start (~10 years) but it was suggested that I was infecting threads by not wearing my mask. A helpful fellow poster concocted this one for me.

I like it when posters keep the same avatar so I can tell who is posting in a hurry.

As a side note, I have had the same Johnny Orr quote as my signature since my first month on the site.

Reactions: Angie

Help Support Us

Become a patron