Friday OT #2 - "Are you omniscient?" "Oh, God knows!"

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Never been catholic so I'm unsure if you can do the, "father, forgive me because I plan to sin this way in the near future". If that works, I'm sure you're good to go.

I don't think you can be pre-forgiven. Although I used the mentality in college by going to Saturday night Mass, then going to the bars.

Also, this won't be in next week's thread, because although my wife doesn't know, she won't find this out.

Reactions: jcyclonee

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
About 1980 a couple of us came up with the idea of reality TV. It was to live broadcast our 30 minute daily poker games at lunch. Then we figured that even though it was fun for us we didn't think anyone would really care to watch.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Examples I remember most vividly:

History Channel – in about ’92, a college friend and I knocked around the idea one night of having a channel devoted to historic documentaries and analysis. (Official launch of H-Channel came in ’95, I think.)

Compact discs (sort of). Sometime in the early to mid-70s, I envisioned having a console in cars that let you insert 45s (instead of tapes). I thought it would be cool, but figured it was unlikely to happen.

This’ll bring quips of erroneous Al-Gore quotations, but sometime in ‘70s (again), I imagined a control-panel that allowed a person to ask questions about just about anything (I think through a microphone) and it’d spit out the response on paper. It was somehow connected to a central database that could access that information, whether significant or trivial. (This was before I knew what a “database” was). So I guess I pre-invented the internet, voice-recognition software AND Google. ;)

Recollecting these things is making me feel like I wasted my potential. o_O

I remember these or similar available from JC Whitney/Warshawski.

th

Link to article: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...inment-systems-of-the-1950s-and-60s/index.htm

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
As a young boy I loved Cap'n Crunch w/ Crunch Berries, but I always wished they would make a box of only crunch berries. About a year later I see a commercial introducing the "Oops, all berries" box of Cap'n Crunch. I bugged my parents until they bought me a box of my young cereal dream come true.

Same with me and the Gardettos. I always liked the rye/garlic chips the best out of the mix. Boom - nothing but those!

929f401f28575dc73c426e30de1e1813.500

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Same with me and the Gardettos. I always liked the rye/garlic chips the best out of the mix. Boom - nothing but those!

929f401f28575dc73c426e30de1e1813.500

Oh man, I need the exact opposite of this. The only thing I don't like is the rye chips. Chex Mix and Gardetto's really overload on them as well so I don't purchase them anymore.

I don't mind the rye chips, just not when they are half the bag.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
Oh man, I need the exact opposite of this. The only thing I don't like is the rye chips. Chex Mix and Gardetto's really overload on them as well so I don't purchase them anymore.

I don't mind the rye chips, just not when they are half the bag.

I feel the same way about the pretzels they put in those mixes. I don't necessarily mind them in general, but if I want pretzels I'll buy a bag of pretzels.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Another idea I had: Expansion of college sports video games, especially football. In addition to game-day experience, have more detail: Studio pre-game analysis, a score-ticker, ability to create fictional teams and players. I assume a lot of those things already were in planning phase when it occurred to me (I think it was in mid-90s), it simply didn’t come to fruition immediately.

I also envisioned forms of pet-care insurance and car-repair insurance, based on personal “hardship” experience, although I’ve never pursued either one once they became reality.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Back when I was a kid (late 60's / early 70's), the game of "Cops and Robbers" would ultimately degenerate into a big argument over whether someone got shot and was out of the game. Since our parents generally frowned at us shooting bbs at one another, I thought it would be cool if someone could make a toy gun that could shoot a light ray (like a Star Trek phaser) or some other thing that could mark the player being shot at so there would be no question as to who has hit. Now we have laser tag and paintballs...

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
In a drunken conversation a few months ago I came up with the plan to have M.C. Hammer and Vanilla Ice do a retro-tour in smallish venues across the country, even had the basis of the set lists ready with Vanilla Ice being the opening act, and the consensus was that even the clothing/hair/etc. had to be the same.

Turns out they already did this in 2009 or something, and there's also been the 90's Tour featuring various artists going on for a few years...I looked into that but watched some of the videos, and vs. the cost, perhaps just doing a 90's themed party would be a lot easier.

Salt n Peppa still seemed to be killing it though. In their 50's!

• Creative

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
2 new ideas:

1-Dogs of Des Moines. Told my wife about it at dinner one night. Go around to parks, take pictures of people and their dogs, and tag them of FB. Found out someone had already done that lol.

2-Jerry Potter- A rock opera about Harry Potters younger, less accomplished brother. He smokes a little green and keeps shady company, but somehow gets by. Harry makes a few appearances, but mainly Jerry has his own thing going on.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
2 new ideas:

1-Dogs of Des Moines. Told my wife about it at dinner one night. Go around to parks, take pictures of people and their dogs, and tag them of FB. Found out someone had already done that lol.

2-Jerry Potter- A rock opera about Harry Potters younger, less accomplished brother. He smokes a little green and keeps shady company, but somehow gets by. Harry makes a few appearances, but mainly Jerry has his own thing going on.

That's like the Robin Williams bit about Jesus' younger brother Jerry Christ

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
When I was a kid I thought about the trouble semi drivers sometimes have negotiating crowded and/or narrow streets with a full length trailer. My idea was a rear wheel steering system that could be locked out for highway driving but reverse steer for city driving. Quite a few years later they came out with this feature in some pickup trucks.

http://www.autotrader.com/car-news/...ve-4-wheel-steering-and-it-was-awesome-256716

I also later learned that someone had tried this many years before (1930's) with passenger cars but it was a colossal failure.