Friday OT #1 - Y'All Gonna Make Me Lose My Mind

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
1. Do you dream in color? Have you always?
Yes and yes. I can't imagine dreaming any other way.

Kind of related, a friend of mine majored in Spanish in college and became fluent. She regularly dreams in Spanish. I can't imagine that.

2. How do you think? Do you talk to yourself in words, see images, are feeling-driven, or a combination?
Probably a combination of words and images.

Reactions: Angie

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
Pretty sure I dream in color, I have specific dreams that colors were remembered.

SO MANY WORDS IN MY HEAD... Yes I have an internal monologue all day everyday. I can't believe that everyone doesn't, ...sounds relaxing.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
If I have the normal dream of being chased or missing a final in college, it's almost always black and white. If it strays from the normal script, it will normally involve color. I remember one dream where I was walking towards a door at the end a long hallway. The walk took place in black and white, but when I opened the door everything I saw exploded with vibrant colors. I shot awake wondering what the hell just happened.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I dream in color but don't remember too many of them in the morning. It is weird though how your mind can sometimes use things going on at the time to create some crazy dreams. Some of the ones I do remember when I try to process them in the morning I can point to something I was thinking about, doing, or recent events going on that probably contributed to it. On occasions I still get a weird dream that I am back in college and can't remember my class schedule or am panicked that I am not going to pass a certain class and not graduate my last semester, etc.

Wednesday night I had a really strange dream that I was voting but I was given a ballot that was already filled out including some write in candidates that was in someone else's handwriting. Not sure what or who I was voting for but I remember going back to the people running the polling site and asking for a ballot that was clean and they were going through a pile and handing me ones and every time I looked at it was already filled out. I figured with all the news this week about 1 year after Jan 6th that maybe that is where the dream came from? I do remember it was one of those dreams that while you are in it your mind at least was allowing you to know something was off and it what was happening wasn't real but at the same time frustrating you when you were trying to do something that seemed logical to you but the result happening with your actions in the dream was not logical.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
As far as thinking, I definitely have a monologue going on. I have to almost be exhausted to fall asleep some nights.

Has anyone ever laid in bed trying to sleep while you ponder the process your body and mind has to go through to actually fall asleep? Sometimes I really hate my own mind.

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
1. I definitely dream in color, but I would say 95% of the time I forget what I was dreaming about 5 minutes after waking up. The dreams I can remember are in color.
2. I think with words / dialogue. I just think with a lot more swear words than what comes out of my mouth.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
I dream in color and always have to my recollection. There is rarely any significance or symbolism involved like a recurring important color, it is just typically like watching a movie.

My thoughts are typically words unless I'm actively trying to conjure a picture in my head. It is always "my voice" and usually my normal voice, but can vary depending on my mood. Sometimes I can actually hear the difference between the angel and devil versions like in movies and shows. Sometimes the voice is more of a Morgan Freeman-esque narration that is more articulate than my IRL voice.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'm honestly not 100%, but I do think I dream in color.

What's weird about my dreams (at least to me) is that they very frequently feature people and places from my real life, but those people and places always look different in the dream.

For example, one recurring dream I have, usually in the summer, is that I'm at Jack Trice for the home kick off, but the stadium is never a replica of Jack Trice, and honestly (I've had this dream at least 5 times) the stadium looks different every time, and doesn't look like any stadium that I've ever been to or know of. I had a really vivid dream this past summer of going around Ames before the game, visiting Campustown, Downtown, and tailgating, and ALL of it was completely different.

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
I've always dreamed in color. I didnt realize that wasn't the norm.

I'm kind of a weird guy. I talk to myself all the time. I'm a technical mind but I generally think in terms of pictures. I visualize everything. Logic and emotion have a 50/50 split over my decision making. Logic for work, projects in the garage etc. Emotion drives alot of my social decisions.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I'm honestly not 100%, but I do think I dream in color.

What's weird about my dreams (at least to me) is that they very frequently feature people and places from my real life, but those people and places always look different in the dream.

For example, one recurring dream I have, usually in the summer, is that I'm at Jack Trice for the home kick off, but the stadium is never a replica of Jack Trice, and honestly (I've had this dream at least 5 times) the stadium looks different every time, and doesn't look like any stadium that I've ever been to or know of. I had a really vivid dream this past summer of going around Ames before the game, visiting Campustown, Downtown, and tailgating, and ALL of it was completely different.

I have found that I rarely dream about people from the past, say, 20 years or so. If I dream about real people, they're usually people from when I was in high school or younger. I rarely dream about my children unless it's a situation where someone is in danger, which means it is always a warning sign if they show up in a dream. Same with my husband. It's like my dreams have no short term memory.

Reactions: cyclones500

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Pretty sure my dreams are in color. I do remember one dream I had that went from black & white to color.

For the most part I talk to myself. But I do have thoughts that just pop into my mind as an image. Those are thoughts that go away real quickly if I don't say something about it. I call those fly by thoughts.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Semi-related.

I've heard most people think in 2D but dyslexic people think in 3D and that's why the 2D words on a paper are jumbled when they read/write.

• Informative

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Do you notice that you return to the dream afterwards or no? I do the same thing when I get up to pee and used to be so scared I wouldn't jump right back into it.

My dreams are almost too lucid that if they are bad it takes me a good 10-15 minutes to snap out of it. Usually it'll be the wife did something bad in the dream and I'll be angered at her for awhile before I realize it was just a dream.
I think sometimes I go back to the dream. Not always. Usually it would be something particularly troubling that I keep pondering over and over in the dream. Maybe some kind of work situation that I'm working out in the dream. At some point I wake up enough to realize, "hey Dean, you're retired - this is dumb."

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I've been living in the same house for 30+ years, raised three daughters, three dogs, two cavies, and several other pets. But when I dream, I'm always at my parents house, where I grew up. Weird.

RLD4ISU

Sep 13, 2018
Otsego, MN
I've always dreamt in color. If it's just me in the dream, then I hear my voice - but not sure if it's a thought or spoken out loud. Many dreams are very vivd and realistic, occasionally the dreams are a little out there & definitely not realistic. If others are in it, I can hear them and talk with them. I can read signs and any papers in my hand (I read once that not everyone does that). I've also had dreams where I feel a hug or touch in the dream. Had a few where I swear I can smell things - like flowers or baked items. Some dreams I can remember in detail when I wake up. Some I remember parts of or nothing.

Donqluione

Feb 5, 2017
If anyone bothers to check they'll find that I rarely post: today I am because I decided to see whether my account was still active, before an email address tied to an old provider dies.

1. Dream in color, I think: usually don't remember dreams, those I do are generally of the "chase" variety. I found that I could resolve those, ie stop having them, by consciously resolving the issue. If couldn't get away, do so upon waking by whatever I was unable to do in the dream. Interestingly, to me at least, the issues have changed over the years, from actual chase to not attending an ISU class because of class load, deciding I should check in and not being able to remember where the class was being held; and then to work issues, from a prior job.

Never realistic with actual people EXCEPT for a time when a medication caused me to dream about real people in plausible situations. Had to stop taking it, for fear it would mess up my mind permanently. More than it is.

2. Definitely think mostly in words, unless imagery is necessary as part of the thought subject, which is frequent.

There, a totally useless contribution other than to verify account viability.