Friday OT #1 - When The Moon Is In the Seventh House...

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
@cyclones500 and I were chatting about this one recently, as it was a suggestion of his. It's a really interesting premise!

Are you aware of your horoscope sign and traits? Do you think they are real (to whatever degree), or are they complete garbage? HERE is a link (one of many) with the traits of each of the astrological signs - do you resemble your sign's traits?

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I personally thinks the zodiac business (other than the one on the MU lobby floor) is garbage because science, but I do find it interesting. I'm an Aquarius, and do have a few of the traits. I'm progressive in my political beliefs, very independent. I tend to be emotionally aloof to the point that it can come across as cold if I'm not careful. I prize intellect and creativity, but am not great at handling being bored. Sarcasm is a dominant trait.

There are many that I don't really resemble, though. I'm not a free spirit, and that's sort of the essence of an Aquarius - I like structure and having a plan. I'm not really shy or quiet anymore, although I was as a child. I don't need to constantly be surrounded by other people - I sort of don't like a lot of people.

How about you?

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
As a Cancer (OK, stop the jokes) I actually do conform to some of the traits normally associated with the sign - sensitive, creative, introspective. I don't know how I feel about astrology....I think there are maybe some things about it that make sense, but as a generic evaluation of all people, well....not so much.

I always wanted to be a Scorpio........

Reactions: Angie

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I am also a Cancer, and many people refer to me as just that. I think the traits thrown out there are generic enough that at least a few of every sign would register with a person. It did say that I'd be compatible with Virgo, which is my wife's sign, and today we are celebrating our 27th anniversary.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Horoscopes are ridiculously dumb.

"Something might happen to you today and it might be good or bad"

Also, I clicked on the link above. I got this far and I am none of these.

Weaknesses: Distrusting, jealous, secretive, violent

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I am also a Cancer, and many people refer to me as just that. I think the traits thrown out there are generic enough that at least a few of every sign would register with a person. It did say that I'd be compatible with Virgo, which is my wife's sign, and today we are celebrating our 27th anniversary.

Bingo

I don't buy into horoscopes at all. Cancer is also my sign, so I'm supposed to have these traits:

Strengths: Tenacious, highly imaginative, loyal, emotional, sympathetic, persuasive

Weaknesses: Moody, pessimistic, suspicious, manipulative, insecure

I'll agree with loyal and sympathetic, as well as insecure. However, I'm very laid back. Tenacious wouldn't describe me at all. And I'm about as far from moody, pessimistic and manipulative as they come.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Didn't they change these? I remember being told I'm a libra and then it was something else when I read an article.

• Agree

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Didn't they change these? I remember being told I'm a libra and then it was something else when I read an article.

I think so, too. It technically changed me to a Capricorn. I don't think my life has changed at all since this revelation.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I'm a Cancer and yes I have a lot of those traits. Then I read Aquarius and yes I have a lot of those traits. Same with Libra.
They are so general I think people can see some of those traits in themselves no matter what the sign.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I have never put stock in them, however - I could see that people born around the same time could tend to have some of the same characteristics. Maybe it's the effects of seasonality in utero (and triggering certain epigenetic changes), or hitting developmental phases in winter vs. summer or something like that. Not going to be as applicable in first world countries though. I know there are some interesting studies on third world countries about babies born in the rainy season vs. dry related to their livability and morbidity due to the mom having been pregnant during a time of plentiful or scarce food. I believe it was also found that women pregnant in the aftermath of the Chilean earthquake several years ago were more likely to have girls as stress results in a higher female %. Survival of the species and all that.
How that relates to what the universe is going to deal them each day..........I'm dubious at best.

as for my actual sign - Gemini:
Strengths: Gentle, affectionate, curious, adaptable, ability to learn quickly and exchange ideas

Weaknesses: Nervous, inconsistent, indecisive

I would say that's fairly accurate. I'm notoriously indecisive about small decisions. Like others have pointed out though, I think these are wide-ranging enough to cover a lot of people. I flipped through a few of the other signs and I would say those could be decent characterizations of myself as well. So, I won't be planning my life around it ;)

I had to laugh at my husband's (Taurus):
Strengths: Reliable, patient, practical, devoted, responsible, stable

Weaknesses: Stubborn, possessive, uncompromising

That is an undeniably accurate description of him.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Yes i Have many of the traits of my sign. And, yes, I think there is something to Astronomy. After all, it was one of the very first scientific areas. There is hidden order to the Universe but we just don't understand exactly how or why. I believe that somehow gravity or other EM waves effects / interacts with our electrical systems (brain).

Libra dislikes: Violence, injustice, loudmouths, conformity - That is a check on pretty much all accounts, certainly the later.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Well, it got the impatient and moody part right (Aries). And I'm with a sign I'm compatible with (Leo). Cool!

clonehenge

Apr 14, 2006
It's mularky...I do not have gills and I cannot breathe under water.

Now the Chinese one is real. I'm a dog in that one and I have the canine teeth to prove it...plus I like to poop outdoors.

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
I personally thinks the zodiac business (other than the one on the MU lobby floor) is garbage because science, but I do find it interesting. I'm an Aquarius, and do have a few of the traits. I'm progressive in my political beliefs, very independent. I tend to be emotionally aloof to the point that it can come across as cold if I'm not careful. I prize intellect and creativity, but am not great at handling being bored. Sarcasm is a dominant trait.

There are many that I don't really resemble, though. I'm not a free spirit, and that's sort of the essence of an Aquarius - I like structure and having a plan. I'm not really shy or quiet anymore, although I was as a child. I don't need to constantly be surrounded by other people - I sort of don't like a lot of people.

How about you?

You just described me and I'm a Capricorn. YMMV

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Like many others in the thread, I'm a skeptic about astrology. Even so, I find it entertaining to some extent.

I’m Capricorn. Bolded are traits that match me most:

Strengths: Responsible, disciplined, self-control, good managers
Weaknesses: Know-it-all, unforgiving, condescending, expecting the worst
Capricorn likes: Family, tradition, music, understated status, quality craftsmanship
Capricorn dislikes (this one cracks me up, it's so fitting): Almost everything at some point

I'd give a slight nod to self-control and good manager, I sometimes can come off as condescending and know-it-all, but I try to keep that in check (I guess that plays into the self-control thing).

During my convo w/ Angie about the zodiac topic, I said something to this effect: "Occasionally I read horoscope, and the general "advice" offered for Capricorn is: Don't let other people **** things up for you. And if they do, it's your own damned fault.”

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron