Friday OT #1 - The Answer Is Clearly First Ave.

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Thanks to @jbindm for this one - I love it!

What are your favorite concert venues? They can be huge, tiny. You might like them because of their atmosphere, or because they constantly have acts you love.

What is yours?

Reactions: jbindm

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Codfish Hollow in Maquoketa. If you haven't been to a concert there, you need to go to one. Most artists that come through there say it's one of there favorite places to play because of the unique atmosphere and the hospitality from the hosts.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Codfish hollow was a neat place, hoyt Sherman is cool too. Back in the day super toad was cool saw the offspring there before they got huge, intense energy show.

Reactions: mfelske and Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Just saw the flaming lips at Hoyt Sherman excellent excellent show a few weeks ago, going to Primus next Friday can't wait!!!

I SO wanted to see Flaming Lips. Were they delightfully weird? I am assuming it was a grand show.

I also wanted to go to Primus, but I think tickets sold out pretty rapidly.

I'm getting my Hoyt Sherman fix with John Mulaney in June. I haven't been there since Band of Horses back in... November?

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Hoyt Sherman and the Vaudeville Mews are both great local spots in DSM. I have never been disappointed in a show at either.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Codfish Hollow in Maquoketa. If you haven't been to a concert there, you need to go to one. Most artists that come through there say it's one of there favorite places to play because of the unique atmosphere and the hospitality from the hosts.

I'd really like to make that trip to see that place...lots of bands I like stop through there.

That would also require ambition to go to shows in general.

Red Rocks is great, saw White Stripes there 12 years ago and really got a sense that they really loved playing the place.

The Pabst and Riverside in Milwaukee are both great, and I like little dives/smaller venues that only fit a few hundred. REALLY appreciative of those spots when the artist blows up shortly after. Saw Fleet Foxes like that and within a year they were playing Lolla and on SNL.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I SO wanted to see Flaming Lips. Were they delightfully weird? I am assuming it was a grand show.

I also wanted to go to Primus, but I think tickets sold out pretty rapidly.

I'm getting my Hoyt Sherman fix with John Mulaney in June. I haven't been there since Band of Horses back in... November?

I got to see them outside on the Southern Comfort tour about 10 years ago. I'd bet that seeing them outside is the best way to go. Lots of fun.

• Friendly

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Wooly's regularly has shows that I like, but it lacks some in the atmosphere department.

Favorite venue I've ever been to: Uptown Theater in KC. Awesome place. We saw Andrew McMahon there after he released his first self-titled album in 2014. He puts on a kickass show; he's such a performer. Plus, lots of nostalgia (he still played Something Corporate and Jack's Mannequin songs)

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Hoyt Sherman is a great venue. Ive been to Red Rocks, but never seen a concert there. However, you can tell it would be awesome!

• Agree

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
My favorite place was the Beaumont Club in KC. It was a smaller place with an open floor in front of the stage, tables farther back and a raised area along the side with a bar. I saw some great shows there.

For larger venues, I've enjoyed concerts at Jack Trice, Hilton, Sandstone in KC, and Invesco in Denver, but smaller venues are much better IMO.

I also second Red Rocks for the view and the Maintenance Shop for the nostalgia.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I saw Paul Butterfield at the Maintenance Shop back in the day. One of my favorite concerts.

Reactions: MuseumFaux

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I don't have an answer, but this thread did cause me to remember going to shows at Hairy Mary's. Man that place was a dump.

• Funny

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Thanks to @jbindm for this one - I love it!

What are your favorite concert venues? They can be huge, tiny. You might like them because of their atmosphere, or because they constantly have acts you love.

What is yours?

Red Rocks - Outside of Ames, Ia it is my favorite place on the planet.

Outside of that, I miss People's Bar and Grill. All the other venues are made or broken based on who is playing.

Attachments

• 20080823_050327_MMJredrocks.jpg
    20080823_050327_MMJredrocks.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 5
  • MMJRedRocks1.jpg
    MMJRedRocks1.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 5
  • RRMAY1.jpg
    RRMAY1.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 5