Friday OT #1 - Singers Harmonize Til They Can't Hear Anything

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Thanks so very much to @Entropy for today's thread idea!

What are your favorite venues to see bands/performers live?

In just central Iowa, I would say Hoyt Sherman is probably the best.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
For an inside venue, I’m going to go with First Ave in Minneapolis. It’s loaded with tradition and is a genuinely intimate atmosphere.

For outdoors, my best experience has been at Alpine Valley in East Troy, WI. Landscape has natural style stadium seating and it’s just a cool place to chill and enjoy the music. (Red Rocks is on my bucket list, just haven’t been there yet.)

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
For an inside venue, I’m going to go with First Ave in Minneapolis. It’s loaded with tradition and is a genuinely intimate atmosphere.

For outdoors, my best experience has been at Alpine Valley in East Troy, WI. Landscape has natural style stadium seating and it’s just a cool place to chill and enjoy the music. (Red Rocks is on my bucket list, just haven’t been there yet.)
Been to Alpine Valley numerous times. It's fantastic. Great tailgating too.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
KC Power and Lights in the summer with a live band is great.

Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

I have really, really enjoyed both of them. I've only been to one show at First Ave, but loved it. I was at a festival at Alpine Valley a long time ago.

Another good outdoor venue is in KC - the Providence Medical Center Ampitheater. It wasn't natural, but it was well set-up and convenient.

Reactions: Entropy

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

Exactly this. I don't know that First Ave is a great venue from a technical standpoint, but when you're in there, you can feel the decades of rock and roll just peeling off the wall. The Replacements, Prince, Husker Du, that place just bred some absolute titans in the 80's and you can't help but be kind of in their presence the whole time. It's like a loud, sticky, drunk cathedral to me.

Seeing The Hold Steady there on 4th of July in 2010 was a damn near religious experience.

Alpine Valley is the best outdoor venue for all the reasons you mention. I saw Rage Against the Machine with Queens of the Stone Age there in 2007, and it was absolutely insane.

Reactions: Angie and Entropy

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I do really enjoy Simon Estes for outdoor venues. I've seen some of my favorite bands there (Black Crowes & Turnpike Troubadours), and it's always cool when they take the stage just before sundown and you get to watch the sun set behind the band with the Des Moines river and downtown skyline as your back drop.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Col Ballroom in Davenport was small, smelly, sweaty... the perfect place to see The Replacements. The Vic in Chicago is kind of similar, maybe a little more trippy, saw Pavement there and it was stellar. The Metro in Chicago is very cool as well, saw Morrissey there. Saw Smashing Pumpkins at Palmer Auditorium in Davenport and that was one of the loudest and most intense live shows I've ever seen.

I guess in my youth I leaned towards small, smelly venues with sticky floors, nowhere to sit and not much room to move around. Great times for sure but now that I'm 50, sounds kind of awful.

• Friendly
  • Winner
Reactions: Angie and drlove

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
This week I experienced Codfish Hollow for the first time, and I waited far too long to be there. It’s by far my favorite Iowa venue.

The acoustics of that place are amazing and the vibe was just what I was looking for after all the news this week.

Reactions: JP4CY and Angie

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Surf Ballroom just for the amazing history. Everybody's played there.

As far as a great modern place, damn near impossible to beat Codfish Hollow.