Friday OT #1 - Room-Clearing Songs

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
A few of mine. As Angie stated in the premise, it’s songs I like to some extent, but a typical listener would be annoyed. (If anyone wants a “Clear the Room” Spotify list, I’m your source!):

***WARNING for next song: Explicit in many ways. Possibly not suitable for anyone***)

Pretty much universally terrible. The Wilco one seems almost okay.

Edit: But there is a lot to be said for the old Punk Rock motto - if you can't say it in 2 minutes it's too long.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyclones500

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008

Thought I'd give this one a try at karaoke in college since I've got a nice deep Jim Morrison voice. I forgot there was a 12 minute breakdown in the middle of the song.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009

Thought I'd give this one a try at karaoke in college since I've got a nice deep Jim Morrison voice. I forgot there was a 12 minute breakdown in the middle of the song.

Never NEVER do a karaoke song you haven't practiced in private.
Unless you're drunk.
Which you pretty much have to be to do karaoke in the first place.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Never NEVER do a karaoke song you haven't practiced in private.
Unless you're drunk.
Which you pretty much have to be to do karaoke in the first place.
The problem with karaoking when I'm good and liquored up is I have a tendency to ad lib and replace words of songs. We got stuck at sea one time on what may have been the worst ship of Carnival's fleet. I got banned from doing karaoke because I replaced the words to Neil Diamond's "Coming to America" with lines about how we're stuck at sea on a crappy boat and expensive alcohol. I also got my Carnival Fun Pass taken away for a day.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
The problem with karaoking when I'm good and liquored up is I have a tendency to ad lib and replace words of songs. We got stuck at sea one time on what may have been the worst ship of Carnival's fleet. I got banned from doing karaoke because I replaced the words to Neil Diamond's "Coming to America" with lines about how we're stuck at sea on a crappy boat and expensive alcohol. I also got my Carnival Fun Pass taken away for a day.

I'm always changing the words to songs.
It's amazing how many things rhyme with "underpants" and "watching Scooby Do."

• Funny
Reactions: Cybyassociation

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
A few of mine. As Angie stated in the premise, it’s songs I like to some extent, but a typical listener would be annoyed. (If anyone wants a “Clear the Room” Spotify list, I’m your source!)

I have yet to meet anyone (other than me) who can tolerate this:

Next: If you want a wake-up alarm song impossible to sleep through, here's a recommendation:

VU runners-up: European Son; Sister Ray; White Light/White Heat; The Gift.

***WARNING for next song: Explicit in many ways. Possibly not suitable for anyone***)

Love the Wilco song

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Two pages in and no mention of Nickelback yet? Personally I don't mind some of their songs (maybe I shouldn't have said that?) but I know many who can't stand them so I think that probably fits the theme of this question pretty well

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Depends on the group I'm trying to disperse. I would play just about anything hard-core rap to move an older crowd out and just about anything honky-tonk country for a younger crowd. I'm sure I could find something to play that could get just about ANYone to leave. Know your audience (then p*ss 'em off by playing what they hate).

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Back in Black seems to clear Kinnick by the 3rd quarter if they're losing....

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
My roommate in college met his now wife at a party in a bar shortly after he put $20 in the jukebox (2000 version of) and put "Kung Fu Fighting" on repeat. His motivation to do this was fueled by bourbon, and not love for the song.

True story.
Who says romance is dead?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron