Friday OT #1 - Mario or Toad. Carts - What's In Yours?

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Thanks so much to @cyclones500 for another good thread - I'll just use his own words:

Similar to Amazon thread, what items are in your Cart to hold for later and they're still there? What are they, and when did you add them? What are you waiting for?

From different sellers, various things that are in mine:

Etsy:
Fantastic Mr Fox embroidery art: LINK
RBG dissent collar t-shirt for my daughter: LINK
An IBC network towel (reference to the movie Scrooged): LINK

Amazon:
Velvet Underground on vinyl: LINK
A whole-face snorkel for if we ever get to take our anniversary trip to Curacao: LINK
A hardcover copy of "The Gashlycrumb Tinies" by Edward Gorey (LINK), a dude who writes hilariously morbid pseudo-children's books.

Reactions: cyclones500

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
The cart leftovers reveal my geekery and '60s obsession. Most were carted prior to my switch to e-reading.

“1966: The Year the Decade Exploded,” by Jon Savage

“Twenty-Five Books That Shaped America: How White Whales, Green Lights and Restless Spirits Forged Our National Identity,” by Thomas C. Foster

“The Unreleased Beatles: Music & Film,” by Richie Unterberger

“Tomorrow Never Knows: Rock and Psychedelics in the 1960s," by Nick Bromell — pretty sure I purchased this as an eBook at some point, not sure why I left it in the cart.

“Hard-To-Find 45s, Vol. 11: Sugar Pop Classics”
 -- I was briefly motivated to expand record collection, then failed to follow thru ...

“This is Not a Book: Philosophical Games and Thought Experiments …” by Michael Picard

I alluded to these in the recent CF thread “Cassette Tapes Are Making a Comeback"
*Tape-2-Mac USB Audio Tape Capture Device for Apple Mac OS
*USB Cassette-to-MP3 Converter Capture
*Audio Recorder 3.0 Plus with Cassette Player

Reactions: MeanDean and Angie

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Mine are mostly house project things, in case I ever get the time:
landscaping lights
spice rack organizers
leather shoe polish
car wax

Reactions: Angie

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I only have one item in any shopping cart I have - a book called Culinary Artistry that a chef I follow on YouTube (chefpk) recommended. Basically it’s a book that helps amateur chefs create their own recipes by telling what ingredients pair with other ingredients. That being said, I also have the knife he uses saved in my wife’s Amazon cart. I would love to have a proper chef’s knife as I’ve injured my hand using the knife that came in our block set in the past, but I can’t justify spending the over $100 right now.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I only cart what I’m going to buy. But it is under my wife’s name (but my CC) so I know things are in there but I don’t generally want to know.

Last edited:

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
My reasoning for not having yet pulled the trigger yet on mine is mostly the same - it's all largely superfluous, and I haven't yet decided that my desire for it outweighs the fact that I really, really don't need it.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
I have a set of band saw blades for my milwaukee portable deep cut band saw. I am waiting to buy the blades until I build a stand for the bandsaw so I can use it to cut the scales for knives I occasionally make. But before I build the stand, I need to build a work bench for everything to live on. Was going to do those things this spring but everything closed and these got put on the back burner.

The other thing in my cart is some christmas tree lights. They are there for when the cheap ones I bought at dollar general inevitably bite the dust. But they continue to work.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I only have one item in any shopping cart I have - a book called Culinary Artistry that a chef I follow on YouTube (chefpk) recommended. Basically it’s a book that helps amateur chefs create their own recipes by telling what ingredients pair with other ingredients. That being said, I also have the knife he uses saved in my wife’s Amazon cart. I would love to have a proper chef’s knife as I’ve injured my hand using the knife that came in our block set in the past, but I can’t justify spending the over $100 right now.

Culinary Artistry is great. I would also recommend the Flavor Bible for those kinds of pairings. Can you link his recommended knife? I've been in the market for one for a little while and want to add it to my comparison. Seems to be in the same price range as the others I am looking at.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I have 149 items in there, mostly books that people recommend to me. I will use them when I have a small cart or when I am wrapping up a book and looking for something new.

Honestly need to just get a kindle. I'm afraid I'm not gonna like it but I spend way too much money and space on my bookshelves.

Reactions: cyclones500

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
My cart is empty as of yesterday. I had only one thing in there and decided to pull the trigger yesterday when I ordered some health supplements.

It was a three pack of oil additive for the car pictured in my avatar. While modern oil is so much better in every way than when this car was made, one thing that it does not contain is a zinc additive to improve lubrication necessary for this lifter/cam shaft design. (The zinc was basically EPA'ed out of the oil at some point.) It's now sold basically only for racing applications but also for vintage vehicles.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Culinary Artistry is great. I would also recommend the Flavor Bible for those kinds of pairings. Can you link his recommended knife? I've been in the market for one for a little while and want to add it to my comparison. Seems to be in the same price range as the others I am looking at.

Also going to link his video about chef knife comparisons. His channel is very entertaining, especially his Food Wars reaction videos. One of the things he likes to do is create foods found in anime and video games.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
The other reason why I’m holding off on buying that knife is I really need to learn how to sharpen knives properly before I drop $120 on a knife. I really don’t want to use a pull-through sharpener on a really good knife. He even has a video on that in his channel, so it’s really a matter of buying the whetstones and just doing it.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I clean mine out regularly, I only put them in there if I'm waiting for the price to drop based on what the Camelizer app shows for Amazon history of prices. I highly recommend this app, saved $50 on my electric razor this month using it and waiting for the periodic price drop.

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
I have 15 items in mine which I will probably never buy at this point. Some are things that I ended up buying a different version of. This little guy is neat but not worth $11. And I just realized there's a set of succulent pots at the very bottom that I had forgotten about and kinda like better than the ones I recently bought. D'oh.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Thanks so much to @cyclones500 for another good thread - I'll just use his own words:

Similar to Amazon thread, what items are in your Cart to hold for later and they're still there? What are they, and when did you add them? What are you waiting for?

From different sellers, various things that are in mine:

Etsy:
Fantastic Mr Fox embroidery art: LINK
RBG dissent collar t-shirt for my daughter: LINK
An IBC network towel (reference to the movie Scrooged): LINK

Amazon:
Velvet Underground on vinyl: LINK
A whole-face snorkel for if we ever get to take our anniversary trip to Curacao: LINK
A hardcover copy of "The Gashlycrumb Tinies" by Edward Gorey (LINK), a dude who writes hilariously morbid pseudo-children's books.

That’s a pretty cool mask. The main thing in my cart is food, so I can just go and pick up my cart. Never order refrigerated perishable items.

• Agree