Friday OT #1 - Long Live Rock

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
First concert was The Monkees Reunion at Steamboat days in Burlington. No not the kind of music I generally listen to.

Reactions: cyhiphopp

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
MUSE was great! I actually saw them in Chicago AND Minneapolis on their Resistance tour. They had a monstrous setup and it was really well put together. Unfortunately their music tailed off a bit after Resistance for me. They got a little too pop oriented after being on the Twilight soundtracks. I think they've made a return to their older style but they lost me a bit.

Some artists just seem better when they're just going for it and not having any reason or knowing of what they're even doing, if that makes sense.

It's one of multiple reasons I can't stand new/bro country. It's all gimmick and just feels like karaoke and singalongs with some hack up front who's trying hard to 'look' the part.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
You got me to wondering if I was really off, but I looked it up. It was Aug 28,1991 at Hilton. You are correct though in a way: That show seems to be the only one at that kind of venue on that tour.

https://www.setlist.fm/stats/concert-map/huey-lewis-and-the-news-23d6dcc3.html?year=1991
I was working at Hilton when they were there in '91 and a story I heard at the time was that they had vehicle trouble when coming to Ames for their first show in '84 and a couple of little old ladies stopped and gave them a ride so they invited the ladies to the show that night on the band. Every time they came back to Ames ('87, '91) they made sure those ladies were invited to the show and tickets were waiting for them.

I have never been able to verify the veracity of this story.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Chicago at the Iowa State fair. I'm guessing 1974 or maybe 75.

Left before the encore. There was a huge storm coming in from the west and got out of there before it hit. Those that didn't got drenched for sure.

• Winner

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Some artists just seem better when they're just going for it and not having any reason or knowing of what they're even doing, if that makes sense.

It's one of multiple reasons I can't stand new/bro country. It's all gimmick and just feels like karaoke and singalongs with some hack up front who's trying hard to 'look' the part.

That's all it is in reality. It's the lowest form of music. It's nothing but recycled phrases. Girl, tight jeans, Cold beer, the good stuff, dirt/gravel road, truck, tail gate, river/lake, small town, boots, etc. Rinse, shuffle, and repeat.

clonedmax

Apr 19, 2006
Earlham, IA
My mom took me to my first concert at Vet's Auditorium in probably 1977. Ricky Skaggs opened, then Hank Williams Jr., followed by Merle Haggard. Pretty solid country lineup looking back.

As an example of how times change, the concert was sponsored by Marlboro, and they gave away free packs of cigarettes at the door. Smokiest place I can remember from my childhood.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
My mom took me to my first concert at Vet's Auditorium in probably 1977. Ricky Skaggs opened, then Hank Williams Jr., followed by Merle Haggard. Pretty solid country lineup looking back.

As an example of how times change, the concert was sponsored by Marlboro, and they gave away free packs of cigarettes at the door. Smokiest place I can remember from my childhood.
Yeah it was amazing how prolific tobacco sponsorships and advertising were. It must have been a series of huge blows to the tobacco industry when TV ads and later most sponsorship deals and billboards were banned.

I remember it seeming really weird in the early 2000s when the Winston Cup was no more since that was all I had ever known it to be (since '71).

Reactions: clonedmax

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Mine was Bachman Turner Overdrive in 1974, at the Dade County Colisseum, Madison WI. Thin Lizzy was one of the two warm-up bands -- don't remember the other one.

cyguy9320

Nov 26, 2006
Red Hot Chili Peppers in '07 at Wells Fargo. Great show. Have since cooled on the band (really enjoy their stuff pre-Stadium Arcadium). Could have been worse...

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I worked at Hilton and Stephens. The same organization that ran The Iowa State Center for the university at the time also put on the stadium shows.

I worked the concession stand for the first 2/3rds of the Aerosmith show and then got to watch the rest standing inside the doors. My best friend was so mad that I got paid to go to that concert.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
I saw Mt. Vernon (with Justin Vernon of Bon Iver fame) in a battle of the bands at my high school.

First big concert I remember is seeing Bush with Veruca Salt opening. Veruca Salt was loud, louder than Bush.

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
It's not the first time I've heard of a one hit wonder band pulling that stunt. I had a friend who went and saw Fastball right when their single The Way was all over the radio. He said they opened and closed with it.
Just saw them last year because tickets were free with the Ticketmaster settlement vouchers. I'm happy to report they only played The Way once at the end. All 50 people would have left if they played it first. haha.

• Funny
Reactions: jbindm

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
@cyclones500 PMed me this great idea after a recent post by @deadeyededric -

What is the first live show you saw? Did you like it then? Do you still like the same band now?

My first live show was Cinderella opening for Bon Jovi at the Iowa Jam. I was maybe 7 or 8 years old, tops. I loved it. I don't know that I'd likely spend money to see either these days, but I'm not mad that I went.

1971 and I was supposed to see BJ Thomas at C.Y. Stephens during my freshman orientation. We got there and were told that Thomas was a no-show because of a family emergency. We learned several years later that the family emergency was his dependency problems. So instead of BJ Thomas, we got some kid no one had ever heard of whose only song of note at that time was sung by someone else -- Peter, Paul and Mary -- called Leaving on a Jet Plane. So I saw John Denver really before he was famous. Not only did we hear John Denver, but they refunded my money.

Later that same year or early the following year, I forget which we saw Rare Earth open for Bread in Hilton. Seemed like an odd combination as Bread was the more popular band at the time, but Rare Earth was the better band. Rare Earth got us all jumping with it's classic blues/rock style and then Bread put us all to sleep with it's sappy pop love ballads. I really got the tickets for Rare Earth and only stayed for Bread because my married sister and her husband footed the bill and were sitting right next to me and she was a big Bread fan.

Reactions: matclone and Angie