Friday OT #1 - In the Wink of a Young Girl's Eye

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
A lot of the movies mentioned here are legitimately good films, even if comedic or satirical in tone.

We need something truly terrible on all the merits --

Plan 9 from Outer Space is always a good watch and, from what I can tell, those producing it were trying to make a legitimate (if chezzy) 1950s science fiction/horror B-movie.

The result is far superior to anything they could have possibly imagined.

Reactions: VeloClone

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
All I know is that I've had Ballroom Blitz in my head since first seeing this thread title this morning.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Pootie Tang
Undercover Brother

and the GOAT of this thread description:

6JsB.gif

FaroffCheerfulBangeltiger-size_restricted.gif

tumblr_m9ozxo6e3H1qedb29o1_r1_500.gif

tumblr_m9ozp1Kb681qedb29o1_500.gif

Dirty Work (directed by Bob Saget)

Look at the the cast:
Norm McD
Artie Lang
Sandler
Chevy Chase
Don Rickles
Chris Farley
Kevin Farley
Rebecca Romijn
John Goodman
Gary Coleman
Jack Warden (Problem child fame)
Chris McDonald (Shooter McGavin fame)

Reactions: cyguy9320 and Angie

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Three Amigos is on again and it goes into that nostalgia model but the fact is it was always good, and I think it's even better now with how legendary Steve Martin and Martin Short are/were, and to a lesser degree, Chevy Chase.

There doesn't appear to be a single person in the movie taking it seriously which is why it works.

CycloneRulzzz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Seeing a lot of movies I would not be embarrassed for saying I like.

This is my submission, I think I'm the only person on the planet that enjoys the Will Smith movie wild wild west.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Three Amigos is on again and it goes into that nostalgia model but the fact is it was always good, and I think it's even better now with how legendary Steve Martin and Martin Short are/were, and to a lesser degree, Chevy Chase.

There doesn't appear to be a single person in the movie taking it seriously which is why it works.
Nailed it. That movie works because everyone in it is just having fun with the material. You've got 3 incredibly funny leads, and Alfonso Arau absolutely chews the scenery as El Guapo. I can (and have) watched that movie again and again. Growing up in my family, at Christmas time, you had to announce "It's a Sweater!!!" for every gift you opened up.

And if you need any proof that the actors were just effing around and having fun, just watch the summoning of the invisible swordsman scene. There's no way that was scripted beyond a loose outline.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Pootie Tang
Undercover Brother

and the GOAT of this thread description:

6JsB.gif

FaroffCheerfulBangeltiger-size_restricted.gif

tumblr_m9ozxo6e3H1qedb29o1_r1_500.gif

tumblr_m9ozp1Kb681qedb29o1_500.gif

Dirty Work (directed by Bob Saget)

Look at the the cast:
Norm McD
Artie Lang
Sandler
Chevy Chase
Don Rickles
Chris Farley
Kevin Farley
Rebecca Romijn
John Goodman
Gary Coleman
Jack Warden (Problem child fame)
Chris McDonald (Shooter McGavin fame)

Undercover Brother is a good one. A nice reference to Iowa State University through George Washington Carver, the first computer, and a peanut too.

The quote is in the first part of this video.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Nailed it. That movie works because everyone in it is just having fun with the material. You've got 3 incredibly funny leads, and Alfonso Arau absolutely chews the scenery as El Guapo. I can (and have) watched that movie again and again. Growing up in my family, at Christmas time, you had to announce "It's a Sweater!!!" for every gift you opened up.

And if you need any proof that the actors were just effing around and having fun, just watch the summoning of the invisible swordsman scene. There's no way that was scripted beyond a loose outline.
Also these

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Probably Where the Boys Are. Or any vintage Gidget movie.

So much chick flick drama it's embarrassing.

That said, my wheelhouse is ANY teen-centric 50's or 60's movie. I can't get over them for some reason. So f-ing BAD. But still I want to watch.

Throw in the "Tammy" movies and you have the most embarrassing post I've probably ever made on CF.
Don't worry - you're not alone. I'm a sucker for Gidget & Tammy movies.

• Friendly
Reactions: MeanDean