Friday OT #1 - I'm Melting!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Running the Glenwood 10K, May 18, 1987. Super hot May day north of Alexandria, Minnesota. Clocked it at an unseasonably warm 90 degrees. Everyone was still acclimated to winter running. Ran with an ISU alumni friend, the wife half of two good ISU friends. About halfway through the race I didn't feel that great (had some shivers and other weird reactions to the heat) and slowed to a jog/walk for a few hundred yards. Only time that ever happened in like 50 races.

Finished the race running well and was waiting for my friend who shouldn't have been that far behind me. After waiting for too long I started asking people if they had seen a gal in purple running outfit. Got a "Oh, she didn't want to run anymore." Me "What?" Them, "The ambulance picked her up." Me, :eek:

Next stop, get ride to the emergency room where I find her covered in ice packs and semi delirious with heat stroke. Anyway, they got her temp down and electrolytes back on track with some IV's but she was still thinking she was going to die and telling me to tell her hubby she loved him. I knew from doctor treating her that she was okay but she was convinced she was dying, it was awful. Hubby had not come to the race and I found out later she had overheated once before and he didn't like her running in the heat.

Think about this everytime temp gets to the heat warning stage like what's forecast for late afternoon today.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Not the worst thing that ever happened but a year ago this week our house got hit. We were in Duluth for the weekend and a storm system went through with some thunderstorms but nothing dangerous. As we are getting closer to the Twin Cities on our drive back we start seeing what looked like salt or snow in the ditches here and there. It turned out we got hit by a major hail storm and it really nailed our neighborhood. It was so bad that they even sent out some snowplows to clear some streets of accumulated hail. A car got stuck in the hail on the curve near our house.

This was our street after we got home 5-6 hours after the event. A lot of the offending hail had melted in the 75 degree heat during the intervening hours.

Hail street.jpg

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Our basement flooded one year when I was about 10. While I was helping clean stuff up in ankle deep water, a 6 foot snake swam by me about a foot from my leg.

When I was 12 or 13, my Dad and I had just finished shingling our big machine shed. That night, straight-line winds destroyed about 3/4 of our work.

When I came to KC back in October of '96 to interview for a job, we got his with 11 inches of snow. It took me 2.5 hours to drive back to my sister's house where I was crashing for the night.

Maybe 12-13 years ago, I got stuck on the I-70 bridge between my work and downtown due to snow and accidents. I was on my way to pick up my wife since we carpool. I was there for 2 hours. People were abandoning their cars and walking to the downtown area. My wife was so concerned that she went to a bar to wait for me. Meanwhile I ended up peeing on the bridge.

Last year, hail made the west side of my house look like someone hit it with buckshot.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Maybe 12-13 years ago, I got stuck on the I-70 bridge between my work and downtown due to snow and accidents. I was on my way to pick up my wife since we carpool. I was there for 2 hours. People were abandoning their cars and walking to the downtown area. My wife was so concerned that she went to a bar to wait for me. Meanwhile I ended up peeing on the bridge.
She's a keeper.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I almost forgot. This one time, a tornado came near my work. Everyone else sought shelter, but I was able to get to a window and get some video:

200w.webp

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I think it was the same week as the Colorado Tornado game in 2005. But my (now) wife and I were on Central Campus when a tornado went through. She was in a big reception tent, and the thing collapsed. She had to go to the ER.

I was on the phone with her when this happened and sprinted across Campus to get to her. Soaking rains, heavy winds, all that. I think a tree got uprooted by Agronomy Hall, which is right on the path I would have been running.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I almost forgot. This one time, a tornado came near my work. Everyone else sought shelter, but I was able to get to a window and get some video:

200w.webp
We actually had an f0 tornado go right down the street and by my work. It took ballast (rock) from the roof of our building and threw it into our parking garage across the street. There were a lot of cars damaged; luckily mine was parked elsewhere. Three of my co-workers got caught outside during it and rode it out in a recessed doorway. That had to be quite an experience.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Well here is a positive thing from bad weather:

I had the defective shingles from the 90s-00s, that were about 12 years old and failing. But the prorated warranty would have only paid like 5% of replacement cost. But we had a mild hailstorm, and that bought me a new roof and gutters. Without any real serious damage or destruction. Thank you mother nature and State Farm!

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Running the Glenwood 10K, May 18, 1987. Super hot May day north of Alexandria, Minnesota. Clocked it at an unseasonably warm 90 degrees. Everyone was still acclimated to winter running. Ran with an ISU alumni friend, the wife half of two good ISU friends. About halfway through the race I didn't feel that great (had some shivers and other weird reactions to the heat) and slowed to a jog/walk for a few hundred yards. Only time that ever happened in like 50 races.

Finished the race running well and was waiting for my friend who shouldn't have been that far behind me. After waiting for too long I started asking people if they had seen a gal in purple running outfit. Got a "Oh, she didn't want to run anymore." Me "What?" Them, "The ambulance picked her up." Me, :eek:

Next stop, get ride to the emergency room where I find her covered in ice packs and semi delirious with heat stroke. Anyway, they got her temp down and electrolytes back on track with some IV's but she was still thinking she was going to die and telling me to tell her hubby she loved him. I knew from doctor treating her that she was okay but she was convinced she was dying, it was awful. Hubby had not come to the race and I found out later she had overheated once before and he didn't like her running in the heat.

Think about this everytime temp gets to the heat warning stage like what's forecast for late afternoon today.

Mine is nowhere near that good, but I was catcher on our softball team when I was younger. One June day it was about 99 degrees in the shade, super humid. I finished catching the game and then had heat exhaustion afterwards. My grandpa and grandma happened to just be visiting from Arizona, where my grandpa was always super-active playing slow pitch, and had been in sports his whole life - he still talks about how that's the hottest he's ever been at the ball park.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I was on a summer job crop scouting fields. Told to finish up and meet up since tornados were spotted touching down. Told on fm radios while riding a 4 wheeler in a field.

I end up getting stuck. Look up finally and see a couple small ones a few miles in the distance. Yanked that stinking thing out and high tailed it out of the field.

Lexclone

I survived the 2023 ad invasion
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts
While at Iowa State we had a terrible March ice storm (1990). Coming back from campus during that storm, I had a huge tree limb come down right behind me (the small out-branches scraped down my back). A few seconds before, and I would have been under the weight of the branch. No warning crack, just down.

The rest of the evening I watched from our Towers den as limbs came down often taking out power lines with a concomitant burst of sparks. That was a very destructive storm.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
During the flood of '93, I worked for a company that was housed on the 2nd floor of a drywall supply company. My boss called me up and asked me to talk to my friend about borrowing his boat. My friend says sure, but he gets to drive it.We launched at 7th and Mulberry(?) and drove the boat to the business. Docked at the second floor canopy and broke a window to get inside and rescue our computers. There was 9' of water. We found out later that we had actually driven the boat over several cars.

Last edited:
Reactions: SCyclone and Angie

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Oh, totes forgot this one and it's ISU related. Got mild frostbite to the tips of several fingers in 1970 walking back from a late art lab carrying a big portfolio thingy that likely cut of my circulation to those fingers some. Those fingertips are still sensitive to cold and don't work very well for the digital fingerprint readers (major hassle for getting each DOD common access card).

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Been fairly fortunate on the farm though I'm told the dent in the siding is from a tree branch going through a window during a tornado when my dad was young. Had a couple monster rain storm systems the summer of '02 that took out a ton of fences and deposited something like 200 car tires in our cow pasture - washed down from the neighbor who let his deadbeat car shop son bring all the old tires and dump on his land. So we got to spend the next week gathering those up in the summer heat. That was fun.

The night of the storm though, it was coming down so hard it couldn't get away from the house fast enough and when we went down to the (unfinished, dirt floor) basement, water was running down the wall behind the electrical panel/water heater area. I remember thinking that probably wasn't very safe.

Sounds like they had a bad storm last year with a potential tornado that blew some hutches away and my mom thought the house was going to go. Brothers were in the barn, apparently holding a barn door shut and both thought they were going to get pulled out into it. No idea WTF they were doing out in the barn and not in the basement.

• Agree
Reactions: oldman

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Been fairly fortunate on the farm though I'm told the dent in the siding is from a tree branch going through a window during a tornado when my dad was young. Had a couple monster rain storm systems the summer of '02 that took out a ton of fences and deposited something like 200 car tires in our cow pasture - washed down from the neighbor who let his deadbeat car shop son bring all the old tires and dump on his land. So we got to spend the next week gathering those up in the summer heat. That was fun.

The night of the storm though, it was coming down so hard it couldn't get away from the house fast enough and when we went down to the (unfinished, dirt floor) basement, water was running down the wall behind the electrical panel/water heater area. I remember thinking that probably wasn't very safe.

Sounds like they had a bad storm last year with a potential tornado that blew some hutches away and my mom thought the house was going to go. Brothers were in the barn, apparently holding a barn door shut and both thought they were going to get pulled out into it. No idea WTF they were doing out in the barn and not in the basement.

Maybe they were afraid of electrocution

• Funny
Reactions: oldman

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Maybe they were afraid of electrocution

I don't think we've had the water issue since that rain storm! Knowing them, they probably thought it'd be NBD and waited too long watching the skies and didn't want to risk the run to the house.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Mine is nowhere near that good, but I was catcher on our softball team when I was younger. One June day it was about 99 degrees in the shade, super humid. I finished catching the game and then had heat exhaustion afterwards. My grandpa and grandma happened to just be visiting from Arizona, where my grandpa was always super-active playing slow pitch, and had been in sports his whole life - he still talks about how that's the hottest he's ever been at the ball park.

Somehow I just never saw you as a catcher. Makes me think of you in a whole new light. :)

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

I did a 15 miler at Madrid in September 2015.
I was feeling amazing, did the first 4 miles with ease at a record pace for me.
Then the heat and humidity just hit like a brick wall. I normally just hydrated before and after runs, and changed that to using the station nice and slowly at every 1 mile marker.

I also noticed that the first aid responders out on the course were using bicycles. I didn't think passing out would be a good idea.