Friday OT #1 - Fancy Pants

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I always dug Lady Sybil. <3 Political but dignified, kind and thoughtful. She was by far the best of the sisters. I don't know which of the other two were the bigger ***** over the course of the show - they each tried their hardest.

Mary was obviously in need of a pair of balls - God knows she earned them! Machiavellian to a fault. And Edith just got bulldozed by her, it was pretty sweet at the end when she told Mary off. I love that show!

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Mary was obviously in need of a pair of balls - God knows she earned them! Machiavellian to a fault. And Edith just got bulldozed by her, it was pretty sweet at the end when she told Mary off. I love that show!

It's really just so fantastic. I wish it didn't inaccurately get the "chick show" reputation - it's really just so well acted and written. I don't watch most chick flicks, almost none - but it's so good.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
It's really just so fantastic. I wish it didn't inaccurately get the "chick show" reputation - it's really just so well acted and written. I don't watch most chick flicks, almost none - but it's so good.

I agree. The casting, writing, production values, attention to detail.....everything was top-shelf start to finish. Julian Fellowes created a real masterpiece. It's no wonder they won so many Emmys.

• Friendly

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
I would say cleaning the litter boxes (it's the worst thing about having cats), but my husband does most of that right now since I'm pregnant.

Honestly, I'd love to pay someone to come and do all my floors. I know there are services that do that now, but I have a hard time justifying it when I am capable -- I just don't want to. I wet swiffer our hard floors about once a month (I should probably do it more often, but ... I just can't find the motivation). I vacuum our carpeted areas once a week. They need a good cleaning and I've been researching carpet cleaners for a while, but I haven't yet pulled the trigger. I need one with an attachment for stairs/upholstery.

• Friendly

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I would say cleaning the litter boxes (it's the worst thing about having cats), but my husband does most of that right now since I'm pregnant.

Honestly, I'd love to pay someone to come and do all my floors. I know there are services that do that now, but I have a hard time justifying it when I am capable -- I just don't want to. I wet swiffer our hard floors about once a month (I should probably do it more often, but ... I just can't find the motivation). I vacuum our carpeted areas once a week. They need a good cleaning and I've been researching carpet cleaners for a while, but I haven't yet pulled the trigger. I need one with an attachment for stairs/upholstery.

It's not even the swiffering that I mind, it's the sweeping beforehand. And I love my children and their desire to help, but letting them do that part for me ahead of time is essentially useless!

Reactions: MJ29

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
The only times I’ve actually serious thought “we’re going to get divorced” is when I’m doing painting projects with my wife.
So, no wallpaper?

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I would say if there was a service out there that could de-clutter our house without us having to be involved with sorting what can and can't be tossed out or donated I would take that in a heartbeat. I don't mind the bathroom cleaning and other odd cleaning stuff but my wife is really bad about not throwing things out when she is done with them and this is everything from random mail, documents, kids stuff, her stuff, even things like grocery receipts or an empty box that had zip lock bags in it or something. Sometimes I will get fed up seeing it and just go on a cleaning binges and organize it all and throw it out but the 1 thing I still bring up all the time is when we moved 7 years ago her night stand had 2 drawers stuffed full of crap that she said she had no time to deal with when we packing and she would go through it once we moved. Well 7 years later and all that crap has been left untouched still... Our pantry is another area I get frustrated with as it seems about once a month it looks like the Tasmanian devil has been in it so I pull out all the items and find like 4 partially used up boxes of breakfast bars or half a dozen jars and cans of the same stuff she keeps buying more of and I try to condense all the partially used stuff into less boxes and put them at the front that they will be used first and make it a point to show and explain to her to not buy any more or open any more up of something until the oldest stuff is used up first then a month or so later right back in the same boat again.

So yeah, if you have any tips on how to break a spouse of bad organization habits I am all year. The odd thing is she is very routine and detail oriented with her job and a lot of other household stuff so you would think those tendencies would also translate into not letting a bunch of junk pile up or have areas of the house we use regularly unorganized.

• Friendly

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

1. We did it after I was back to work after maternity leave.
2. Our time has value and is more limited after kids. Opportunity cost!
3. I pay for other things I could do on my own but outsource because of time/lack of enjoyment

Just some thoughts :) We grew up in families that would NEVER consider doing this so it was weird to get past the sort of....guilt? over doing something we COULD do ourselves and but were choosing to outsource because we didn't enjoy it, weren't keeping up with it, and had no desire to swap the time after work/weekends to vacuum vs play with kid.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie and MJ29

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron