Friday OT #1 - Fancy Pants

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Do you take off trim when you paint? I dislike that so I always paint with it on. Generally the wife will say she wants to paint such and such. Then she will go buy the stuff and tell me to do it or finish a 5’X5’ square in an hour or so and know it drives me crazy and I will just do it. I have my system that seems slow starting but when I get to the main part it flys.

TIP: If you have a little wonder bar, just pry the trim up a bit off the wall so you can get your brush behind it. Then tap the trim back into place when the paint's dry.
Wonder bar:
1611328815773.png

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
As a big fan of Downton Abbey, I can definitely imagine having an entire fleet of help in the castle. But that's a pipe dream......I'd settle for a good cleaning person. The vixen always uses the adjective "thoroughly" before the word cleaning, so it would have to be someone with great attention to detail.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
As a big fan of Downton Abbey, I can definitely imagine having an entire fleet of help in the castle. But that's a pipe dream......I'd settle for a good cleaning person. The vixen always uses the adjective "thoroughly" before the word cleaning, so it would have to be someone with great attention to detail.

I would love to be Lady Mary, for sure. But one thing I learned from that show is that most of the maids and/or lady's maids are not trustworthy! ;)

• Agree
Reactions: SCyclone

20eyes

May 15, 2020
Cleaning bathrooms and kitchens is life changing for me. Scrubbing toilets and stove tops is the worst.

Yeah, it'd be someone to clean the bathroom and kitchen for me too...so many nooks and crannies, a variety of cleaning products, crawling around to clean a toilet, moving appliances around and cleaning them out. It sucks.

It's interesting to see peoples attitudes on painting. I really enjoy it, there's a certain amount of instant gratification and fun fine detail work that isn't that laborious.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
TIP: If you have a little wonder bar, just pry the trim up a bit off the wall so you can get your brush behind it. Then tap the trim back into place when the paint's dry.
Wonder bar:
View attachment 81027
Have one, when I tried, the nails pulled through parially and then the trim was loose in some areas or stuck out since the nails "heads" were stuck in those spots. Less work and issues if I just trim carefully around.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I see you more as Lady Sybil. Mary was such a b*tch!

I always dug Lady Sybil. <3 Political but dignified, kind and thoughtful. She was by far the best of the sisters. I don't know which of the other two were the bigger ***** over the course of the show - they each tried their hardest.

• Agree
Reactions: SCyclone

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
A maid/cleaning service. I am a terrible cleaner and I attribute it to not really being taught how growing up. I actually used to pay for a once every 3 week maid service before the pandemic but since I don't want anyone in my house, it's gotten a bit messy. One of the first things after my vaccine I am going to do is hire them back to do a deep cleaning and start that train up again.

• Friendly

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Is there a service that can stand in for me when my wife just wants to argue but doesn't really have a specific topic?

Yep its called the second husband, because I've learned that, at least my wife, doesn't really argue the topic she is upset about so its a detective tail to figure out what she really is ticked about. Although I have learned over the years that the reason is generally my existence.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
This makes me think of all those home buying shows on HGTV. These people have 2 kids and want 5,000 sq ft. with 5 bedrooms & 4 bathrooms and all I can think is how in the world are they going to keep it clean.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The only times I’ve actually serious thought “we’re going to get divorced” is when I’m doing painting projects with my wife.

• Winner

jbclone10

Apr 11, 2008
Denver, CO
My wife convinced me (easily) that we needed cleaners when the baby was born so that task is taken care of. I'm going to go off the beaten path a bit and say a cook. I like cooking and so does my wife but it would be incredible to be served different dishes nightly and not have to worry about getting the food, prep, clean up.

• Friendly
  • Agree
Reactions: Angie and do4CY

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Yep its called the second husband, because I've learned that, at least my wife, doesn't really argue the topic she is upset about so its a detective tail to figure out what she really is ticked about. Although I have learned over the years that the reason is generally my existence.

I mean, the way you talk on here, I have NO idea. ;)

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I mean, the way you talk on here, I have NO idea. ;)

Being blunt has never been one of my weak points. I'm not the person you look to when you want to be coddled. I get ticked when someone won't just tell me what I did wrong and try to politely dance around what I screwed up. Just tell me, this was a stupid decision and led to a terrible outcome because of this. I will learn and move on. Don't waste our time saying well, maybe if you tweaked this or made a minor change here; get to the darn point and save my time; and definitely don't labor on what I did right because if you don't tell me it was wrong I damn well know I did it right then. I'm not Mr. Warm and Fuzzy if you can't tell.

• Friendly
  • Haha
Reactions: SCyclone and Angie

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
I would appreciate someone cleaning off my farm yard when it snows. As I get older I dislike getting up in the dark, walking to the machine shed, hoping the tractor will start, start the tractor, let it warm up for 20 minutes, scoop open the machine shed doors, blowing the snow hoping no sheer bolts break, quickly close everything up again, take a shower, and take off for work to be there before 8.

However, it can be a fun job on a beautiful weekend afternoon, listening to the cyclone men's basketball game...well that used to be fun as well before Prohm.

Great now I'm thinking about Prohm again...thanks Angie.

• Haha

isufrEEk

Apr 14, 2006
Man, I hate painting. We had to do a bunch on our previous house when we moved - the ceiling can go ahead and bite a ****.
I did such a bad job the first time I painted for my wife that she always does it without complaining. Unfortunately I had already done a good job washing the dishes so I couldn't apply the new found knowledge to that.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I would appreciate someone cleaning off my farm yard when it snows. As I get older I dislike getting up in the dark, walking to the machine shed, hoping the tractor will start, start the tractor, let it warm up for 20 minutes, scoop open the machine shed doors, blowing the snow hoping no sheer bolts break, quickly close everything up again, take a shower, and take off for work to be there before 8.

However, it can be a fun job on a beautiful weekend afternoon, listening to the cyclone men's basketball game...well that used to be fun as well before Prohm.

Great now I'm thinking about Prohm again...thanks Angie.
5-6k for a nice pickup blade will make life easier. Push it out of the way, plug in the tractor and blow it out when you get home.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Being blunt has never been one of my weak points. I'm not the person you look to when you want to be coddled. I get ticked when someone won't just tell me what I did wrong and try to politely dance around what I screwed up. Just tell me, this was a stupid decision and led to a terrible outcome because of this. I will learn and move on. Don't waste our time saying well, maybe if you tweaked this or made a minor change here; get to the darn point and save my time; and definitely don't labor on what I did right because if you don't tell me it was wrong I damn well know I did it right then. I'm not Mr. Warm and Fuzzy if you can't tell.

It's not a bad thing. I'm a dancer, for sure, as I can't bear being rude - and I know that drives some people nuts.