Friday OT #1 - Dumb Da Dumb Dumb Dumb

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Mine is also plumber related. Husband’s brother is Mr. Know it All, only unlike Jon Snow, he really knows nothing.

Water pressure was low in shower in master bathroom. Told husband was going to call plumber. Unemployed brother in law living with us says it’s an easy fix, ten minutes tops. Four hours into it, he and the husband have messed up bad enough they need to turn off water to that bathroom. Not a super big deal unless you are 10 days away from giving birth to a nine and a half pound baby. So a real plumber can’t come for three days and I am waddling across the house every 15 minutes to pee at night. Spent the last night on a toddler trundle bed in kid’s room close to a bathroom.

Plumber estimate: $100 if they called before messing stuff up. Bill over $1100.
I've been guilty of this, only I was lucky enough to have a buddy who does it on the side and I bribed him with a case a beer to make a closing time dash to Home Depot to pick up materials.

Reactions: carvers4math

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
This spring, I went to DC with the youngest and the wife had to go to PHX with our daughter since the wife’s niece decided to do her full ceremony on her one year anniversary. We all had to stand in the desert for her wedding so she was basically making everyone show up twice.

We left a couple days before the wife. I get a phone call that the garage door isn’t working. I don’t park in the garage the wife’s vehicles are there. I ask why the walk in door is locked, she was scared since she was home alone (in a town of 2000 that she had lived her whole life). Asked why she didnt just lock the one going into the house. Apparently she did. Well, I couldn’t explain where the key was hidden so she had to have the police break into our garage. Nice.

A day later I get a call that she dropped the dog off at the kennel and forgot to put her car in park and it ran into a statue of theirs and destroyed it so I would need to pay for that when I pick it up.

I forget what else I got called for that she managed to while I was gone for those 2-3 days. I got off the phone the last time and told the people I was around, this is why I can never go anywhere, it’s chaos when I do.

I should have known this because: two months before our wedding she sold her house and was moving in with me. I get hysterical phone call from her. She was doing a last cleaning and had ran her engagement ring into the vacuum. I had to dig through the dirty bag and find most of it. Then weeks before the wedding, the car we had just bought together (dumb I know) she manages to hit one of those county transit buses in town. This is a streak she had kept in tact, within a month of any vehicle she gets, she hits something with it, many times it’s either the garage or another one of our vehicles.
Had a co-worker with a nice but sort of dingy wife.

She had the same kind of issues banging up her vehicles. She finally developed a theory that it was because she had a white car and people couldn't see it. Even though she was hitting the other cars. It was a valid explanation in her mind since her previous car had also been white in color and she'd also had lots of accidents with that one.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Had a co-worker with a nice but sort of dingy wife.

She had the same kind of issues banging up her vehicles. She finally developed a theory that it was because she had a white car and people couldn't see it. Even though she was hitting the other cars. It was a valid explanation in her mind since her previous car had also been white in color and she'd also had lots of accidents with that one.
Last vehicle had a back up camera but not an alarm that goes off when close. The alarm didn’t go off was her excuse that time.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I've been guilty of this, only I was lucky enough to have a buddy who does it on the side and I bribed him with a case a beer to make a closing time dash to Home Depot to pick up materials.
At some point, husband got smart enough to just say no to his brother. That sounds like a good buddy to have if you want to trade for my bro in law. He’s 63, chain smokes, hasn’t eaten a vegetable not on a pizza in years, and goes through a large bottle of whiskey every week, so he probably doesn’t have a long shelf life.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Last vehicle had a back up camera but not an alarm that goes off when close. The alarm didn’t go off was her excuse that time.
We went on a lengthy trip in the then new minivan that involved driving in all the hard to drive cities —Boston, NYC, Philly, DC, Chicago.

No problems. As soon as we get home husband wants to go pick up the held mail and backs the van into the other car in the driveway. Of course, we fixed neither vehicle but just drove around with the dents.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
At some point, husband got smart enough to just say no to his brother. That sounds like a good buddy to have if you want to trade for my bro in law. He’s 63, chain smokes, hasn’t eaten a vegetable not on a pizza in years, and goes through a large bottle of whiskey every week, so he probably doesn’t have a long shelf life.
He was a buddy at the time, but since then, both he and his then wife cheated on each other, got divorced, shacked up another woman and began drinking like fish. So he isn't too far from your BIL. Haven't talked to him in years.

Possibly coincidentally, I have gotten better at plumbing. And maybe knowing my limits.

• Funny
Reactions: carvers4math

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
I was eating at a restaurant with my wife a few months ago when a lady came up to our table and started crying and saying “Robert, Robert, Robert!” I asked her if everything was okay and she said “you just look like my son that died 5 years ago in an accident.” She then talked to my wife and I about her son and how he died and it was really heartbreaking. It crossed a line though when she said “When I leave tonight, will you please say ‘Goodbye Mom’ to me?”

I was about to politely tell her no (because it was weird) and my wife jumped in and said “Of course he can!”

Anywho, the lady eats at her table by herself and we eat at our table. Ten minutes goes by and the woman gets up to leave. I get up, greet her, and say “goodbye mom” in the most genuine way I could. Again—-super weird!!!

Not two minutes later, a waiter brings a bill for $53 to us and says “that’s so nice of you to pay for your mother!” Needless to say, I was pissed and ran out of the restaurant into the parking lot. The lady saw me and tried to slam the door to her car but I got my hand and half my body in there first. I kept pulling on her arm to get her out of the car and finally ended up pulling her leg just like I’m pulling your leg now.

Have a Good Friday!
Thank you Robert.

Reactions: khardbored

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
If you stop your car half way backed out of your garage because you forgot something and run back into the house, it's best to put it in park and not in drive. Or you will lose your headlight, bumper, side panel, deep freeze and a good chunk of a half side of beef.
But your garage door was OK, right?

Dowwmeow

Sep 24, 2022
Mrs. Velo has done this...twice. First time it destroyed the front rim on my bike and pushed the wall a little bit into daughter's bedroom. Second time it destroyed the front rim on Mrs. Velo's bike. Since these are carbon fiber bikes with relatively high end rims it was pretty damned expensive. Now the carbon bikes hang on a hanger on the wall above bumper and grill height.
I was leaving for work at 7:30 one morning. I had just worked a 12 hour shift the day before. I felt, in a word, “zombified” (like the walking dead). I remember starting my truck…and the next thing I remember is this horrible screeching sound followed by a dragging noise. I slam the truck into park and get out of the vehicle. I had smashed into our trash dumpster I had put in the driveway the night before after coming home from work. One of those high impact plastic ones with a aluminum alloy metal frame. That thing was totaled. Fortunately, I had hit it with corner of my truck, so the only damages to that was a smashed taillight assembly. I immediately drove it to the nearest Ford dealer and had it repaired. Although it would have been a covered claim, I decided to pay it out of pocket. The embarrassment at work would have just been too great. Oh, I might have failed to mention this earlier…I worked as a claims adjuster.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Do just generally stupid purchases fit for this?

When I first bought a kayak a few years ago I somehow ended up buying all sorts of **** like a bow float, foam blocks including straps, a cart, and all sorts of accessories that never had any purpose.

I could afford it so not a huge deal but that's at least $200 for stuff to just sit there.

• Wow
Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
It actually ended up not being as bad as it could have been.

I did get a spare key from the dealer and my plan was to find the car and take it right back to them. But I never found where it was parked :(. I had this dream I would find the car, then 'steal' it from her, and give her the double birds as I'm driving down the road. But...alas...

Missed opportunity! That is seriously too bad, as that would have been amazing.

That casserole actually sounds pretty good.

I wish he’d have offered it up on here instead of feeding it to the dogs!

@keepngoal - Stu is much happier since stopping barfing!

Reactions: keepngoal

Fishhead

Oct 6, 2010
My previous vehicle did not have a backup cam. I backed into the recycle bin on three separate occasions, breaking my tail light. Those aren’t cheap

Reactions: Dowwmeow

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
My big TV went out a couple of years ago, so I went and bought a smart TV to replace it. When my son-in-law went to hook it up for me, it didn't work. Come to find out I had a bad HDMI cable, not a bad TV. So I spent over $1,000 on a TV I didn't need.

I gave the old TV to my daughter and son-in-law since they helped me figure it out. A couple of years later, the smart TV went out. I thought maybe it was the same thing, but no, this appears to be more serious. Meanwhile, the TV I gave my daughter and son-in-law is still working just fine, thank you. I have yet to replace my smart TV, because I just don't want to spend yet even more money on TVs. It's been close to a year since it went out.

I've been settling on the 32-inch Olevia (do they even make those anymore?) in my bedroom that has been working just fine for more than 10 years. I bought this Olevia for $699 more than 10 years ago after reading on Consumer Reports that it was judged the second best in it's size for picture quality and was considerably cheaper than the top brand, which was selling for $1,200 at the time. I think the Olevia was selling for over $900 at the time, too, so I got a real good deal on it.

When I was looking for the bigger TV, a guy at an LG store didn't seem to even know what an Olevia was and ridiculed it like it was some sort of knock-off and I would wind up regretting the buy. I guess he was wrong about that. I told him I had done my research before buying it, but he wasn't having it. I didn't buy a TV from him because of his ridicule.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Thought of another one--when I renewed my ESPN+ subscription, I misread something and signed up for the whole year. I think it's still technically the same price/month, but I can't cancel like I would if I picked the monthly deal.

So I guess I'll find a way to use it in like May?

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Many years ago, I was pulling into a parking spot at work in a hurry. My hand slipped and I side-swiped a small area of another person's big SUV (about 4" x 2" above the rear tire). Damage to my car was so minimal to not mess with.

This was an office building shared by many small companies so I didn't know who the SUV belonged to.

I put my business card under the windshield wiper with a "sorry" note.

I thought I got away with it as I didn't hear anything for quite some time.

About 4 months later, my insurance company notified me that they had located me without calling or emailing me and filed against me. :(

Early in our marriage and still pretty poor, so a heft deductible and increased insurance rates were a big deal. I learned to be in less of a hurry.

EDIT: 20 or so years later, I backed into some guy in the Burger King parking lot. Very similar. Didn't have to pay a deductible and didn't impact my insurance. Go fig. I have no idea why.

• Sad

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I was leaving for work at 7:30 one morning. I had just worked a 12 hour shift the day before. I felt, in a word, “zombified” (like the walking dead). I remember starting my truck…and the next thing I remember is this horrible screeching sound followed by a dragging noise. I slam the truck into park and get out of the vehicle. I had smashed into our trash dumpster I had put in the driveway the night before after coming home from work. One of those high impact plastic ones with a aluminum alloy metal frame. That thing was totaled. Fortunately, I had hit it with corner of my truck, so the only damages to that was a smashed taillight assembly. I immediately drove it to the nearest Ford dealer and had it repaired. Although it would have been a covered claim, I decided to pay it out of pocket. The embarrassment at work would have just been too great. Oh, I might have failed to mention this earlier…I worked as a claims adjuster.
Insurance adjuster? Might as well said you work for the IRS.

• Funny
  • Haha
Reactions: Dowwmeow and NWICY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron