Friday OT #1 - Dual Personalities

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Thanks so much to @madguy30 for this! He posted it in a thread, and it's great! Here's his take:

What are some actors that are known for iconic roles that you've also seen in just some stupid or ridiculous movies/roles? Thinking something like the 'Look A Like' threads.

One who I was just thinking of is Bill Murray. I've loved him in almost everything he's been in - but Where the Buffalo Roam just isn't a good movie. It's basically Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas, but without being particularly funny. Bill does what he can with it, but it's wildly mediocre.

What do you have?

CivEFootball

Sep 16, 2010
Robin Williams, does One Hour Photo then goes off and does the movie RV which is complete garbage. Amoung his examples

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Not that he's an amazing actor, but Adam Sandler comes to mind. His early movies (Billy Madison and The Wedding Singer come to mind) are hilarious. He got like a 7 or 9 movie contract and then just pumped out pure garbage.

Reactions: cyhiphopp

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
For what it's worth there's a few accounts of some actors saying they'll do about anything since work is work and you don't know when you won't be needed. And the money is outrageous.

I think Michael Caine made something like $1.5 million for a week's worth of work on Jaws 4, and this quote is pretty funny:

"I have never seen the film, but by all accounts it was terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific."

I have a friend who's done some voice work for some commercials, and he'll get like $60,000 for ten seconds of talking. We used to give him **** for it because he'd say he had to say his bit so many times, like most of us don't do the same thing at our jobs for far less.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Maybe not exactly in tune with the thread's thought, but I immediately thought of Brad Pitt as Chad Feldheimer in Burn After Reading. He goes totally against type with this part - as a bird-brained gym employee - and absolutely nails it.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Adam Sandler is the first one to come to mind. Capable of really great comedic movies, and now a great dramatic performance. But boy do you have some obvious money-grab duds in the middle there.

Reactions: Angie

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Not that he's an amazing actor, but Adam Sandler comes to mind. His early movies (Billy Madison and The Wedding Singer come to mind) are hilarious. He got like a 7 or 9 movie contract and then just pumped out pure garbage.

The timing and goofy dark humor and gags of Billy Madison through Wedding Singer was spectacular and then after that it just was never quite the same.

Like a band that put out great albums and live performances early but then just lose that 'edge' even if it's similar.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
5f2c5b92f0f4194a1c6225fb

55bfe4d2170000260056672b.jpeg

VS

images

MV5BNjQwNzIzNTMtNTE1Ny00YWYwLWE3Y2MtNjJiYTkzYmFmZTVmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
I know I've posted Steve Carrell in a similar thread. When he didn't get his contract renewed for the office, he went on to try different roles instead of just playing a bufoon. I watched The Big Short and his character spoke with a weird accent and all I could picture was Michael Scott in a conference room meeting.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Jason Alexander is iconic for George Costanza role in Seinfeld.

Was watching The Amazing Mrs. Maisel and it took me about 2 minutes to figure out it was him playing the part of a blacklisted playwrite on the beach in Miami.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
How about Joe Pesci, he's been in a lot of mafia/mob related movies but also some quirky ones like Home Alone and My Cousin Vinny too where he's more on the goofy side than a badass.

One movie I can think of several well known actors that you can probably make some of the same comparisons is Armageddon. Bruce Willis, Billy Bob Thornton, Ben Affleck, Will Patton, Steve Buscemi, Michael Clarke Duncan, William Fichtner, Peter Stormare, Ken Hudson Campbell all those guys have played some iconic roles as well as completely different types characters in other movies too. I didn't include Owen Wilson on that list as I can't think of something he's been in that he's not some kind of goofball. I guess maybe in Behind Enemy Lines he's a little more serious than his usual roles but not really.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
How about Joe Pesci, he's been in a lot of mafia/mob related movies but also some quirky ones like Home Alone and My Cousin Vinny too where he's more on the goofy side than a badass.

One movie I can think of several well known actors that you can probably make some of the same comparisons is Armageddon. Bruce Willis, Billy Bob Thornton, Ben Affleck, Will Patton, Steve Buscemi, Michael Clarke Duncan, William Fichtner, Peter Stormare, Ken Hudson Campbell all those guys have played some iconic roles as well as completely different types characters in other movies too. I didn't include Owen Wilson on that list as I can't think of something he's been in that he's not some kind of goofball. I guess maybe in Behind Enemy Lines he's a little more serious than his usual roles but not really.
I think it's his voice. You can't listen to him talk and take him all that seriously :D