Friday OT #1 - Caught In a Bad Romance

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Yeah but isn't "getting something out of it" implied? And for women too? I'm not trying to find another drinking buddy, I've got a bunch of great ones. It just seem so silly to me, it's a common courtesy to pay and so not a big deal. To me it's exactly the same thing as opening a door.
I guess the getting something out of it I am alluding to would be sex, bluntly speaking. When I paid for dates, I wasn't doing it because I wanted some road head, I paid because I was generally hopeful for a 2nd date if I felt like it had gone well, but if not, I would still pay.

I agree with you, I would treat it just like opening a door or giving up my jacket if she's cold etc.

Reactions: 20eyes

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
One of my exes in college tried getting me to watch How I Met Your Mother, I denied and played GTA 5 instead. She then cheated on me with some frat guy. She said " You were just so nice, and too good for me, I didn't know how to break it off with you, so I cheated so you would have a reason to leave" Ok Psychopath. (Dating a sorority girl as a non greek member is kinda hard)
I once had a girl stop dating me because "She couldn't not like me a lot and she didn't want to be that serious." I'm still not sure exactly what that meant.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I went out to a club with a coworker on a date and her ex-boyfriend was also there. He screamed obscenities at us in the club, including all of the sex stuff that she liked to do. Then he attempted to pick a fight with me in the parking lot as we left but he was so drunk I easily steered him away from us and towards the bouncers at the door.

We get back to her place and began enjoying some time together and then the drunk ex-boyfriend shows up and starts banging on her door threatening that he had a gun, which she confirmed. Turns out he lived in the same apartment complex. So I got dressed, called the cops and spent the rest of the evening awake on her couch trying to decide when would be the least awkward time for me to get the bleep out of there. She was fun but no one is fun enough to deal with that.
So her ex was a KU basketball player?

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
My wife had a pretty bad/embarrassing dating story. On a second date, she walked out of the bathroom at the movie theater with a long strand of toilet paper stuck to her shoe.

It worked out OK for me as we have been married for over 23 years. She'd probably say that she wished I'd stopped dating her right at that moment. I wouldn't want to be married to me for 23 years either.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone and NWICY

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
My first date with my now wife, we went out to dinner. We had texted some before that and I was excited. She ended up being really nervous and kind of clammed up. I was worried that she wasn't feeling it, but she was just nervous. She opened up a bit more as the night went on, we went on a little walk and said our good evenings.

The big twist came later.
I found out on our next date that she ended up in the emergency room after our date. She had tried a new face wash and apparently had a bad reaction to it. Luckily it didn't get bad until after the date. She was ok by the next time we saw each other.

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY and Angie

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I once had a girl stop dating me because "She couldn't not like me a lot and she didn't want to be that serious." I'm still not sure exactly what that meant.

I asked a girl out in HS that I had a crush on. She said she really liked me too. After a few weeks of hanging out and getting to know each other she broke it off. She hadn't dated anyone before and she freaked herself out.

We actually ended up running into each other in college and dated off and on for over a year. I never let her forget that she dumped me before though. Unfortunately I was just getting over a bad breakup and I wasn't very emotionally available. She and I are still acquaintances but that's it.

• Informative
Reactions: jcyclonee and Angie

MushroomPinball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2017
Did she break up with me using a reference from The Hobbit?
Haha no. Her lined just reminded me of the line from The Fellowship of the Ring, where Bilbo says "I like less than half of you half as well as you'd like, and I like more than half of you half as well as you deserve." Or something like that.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Haha no. Her lined just reminded me of the line from The Fellowship of the Ring, where Bilbo says "I like less than half of you half as well as you'd like, and I like more than half of you half as well as you deserve." Or something like that.

Dodged a bullet there. She probably would have proven to be obsessed with jewelry, rings in particular.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I had a coworker who was very nice, great guy, just not my type. A mutual really good friend wore me down and convinced me to go out with the coworker once.

We went to dinner - I insisted on paying for myself, as I didn't want to send any signals. We then sat for an hour while he was almost silent, other than one-word answers I pried out of him. I'm not great at super-awkward silences, so I prattled on and joked about whatever, then faked a call from my parents and left. I felt terrible, as I know he was super-shy and a great guy - but it just made it really strange and I don't deal with awkwardness well AT ALL.

Are you going to tell the coffee table story?

• Haha
Reactions: Angie

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I tried online dating and one girl I was in contact with described herself as having a fluffy butt. I had no idea what that meant, so when she showed up at my door, she was shaped like a very bottom-heavy pear. Fluffy apparently means very fat. I mean, this butt was not proportional to the rest of her. The kicker is a couple of days later, a very big, very dark-skinned man showed up at my door ready to knock the tar out of me for dating his fluffy-butt girlfriend, who I saw all of one time and never did anything more than go out to dinner with. I managed to talk him down by saying, hey, she contacted me. She came to my door. I never pursued her. It's her you should be angry at. He was almost in tears when he left.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Are you going to tell the coffee table story?

Have Janny/I told that before? Or do you know me in real life and I'm freaking out right now?? :D Because yes, same guy! SUPER nice but maybe vindictive!

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Have Janny/I told that before? Or do you know me in real life and I'm freaking out right now?? :D Because yes, same guy! SUPER nice but maybe vindictive!

You or Janny told it a loooong time but it was a great story but I didn't realize it was this guy. Nope I'm pretty sure I'm not lucky enough to know you IRL. I think you guys would be a hoot though.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
You or Janny told it a loooong time but it was a great story but I didn't realize it was this guy. Nope I'm pretty sure I'm not lucky enough to know you IRL. I think you guys would be a hoot though.

We are certainly unique. :D But I'm happy to fill in the details! It's a little better if Janny tells it, because he owns the second half.

Sooo... I guess the coworker had liked me a lot, which was why our mutual friend had pushed me so hard to date him. Quite a bit, which is incredibly flattering, SO flattering as he was a great guy - but I just needed conversation.

@Mr Janny and I started dating not long after the one ill-fated interaction. Janny, coworker, and I all worked at the same business. Not long after after Janny and I became engaged, coworker quit the company and took a job a loooong ways away. He had to get rid of a lot of his furniture for the move, so he announced to the company the items he had for sale, with photos. Janny contacted him and said that he'd like to buy the coffee table he was listing at $100. Almost immediately, coworker replied that it was taken, sorry. I contacted coworker and asked if I could buy it, so he said I could have it for free - I went, picked it up, and it sat in our living room with Janny's feet on it for a couple of years.

I respected coworker's level of petty so much.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron