Friday OT #1 - Are You Comfortable Yet?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Thanks so much to @CycloneRulzzz for this idea! It's unique, which I love:

Where are some places/situations that intimidate you or make you uncomfortable every time you're in them? Dressing room at a department store? Public bathrooms?

On the converse, what places instantly make you comfortable?

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Crowded places in general. Instantly comfortable at home.

I don't mind crowded places themselves, but I do mind being trapped in a big throng of people. I don't do well with my space bubble being invaded - even just standing in line and a person creeping on me too close freaks me out.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Thanks so much to @CycloneRulzzz for this idea! It's unique, which I love:

Where are some places/situations that intimidate you or make you uncomfortable every time you're in them? Dressing room at a department store? Public bathrooms?

On the converse, what places instantly make you comfortable?

I'm going to answer for you.

Angie hates the airport. Any airport. She instantly becomes an aggressive malcontent, the moment she gets in line for security. For example, we were in Hartsfield-Jackson airport in Atlanta, one time and some lady on her cell phone, absent mindedly cut Angie off and nearly ran into her with her rolling suitcase. Angie's immediate response was to curse loudly and throw her chewing gum in the woman's hair. Yeah, that happened. Her fuse is incredibly short. Instant escalation of hostilities.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Being surrounded by people when there's open space. So I'm fine if I'm in a crowd but there's nowhere for anyone to move. But if I'm surrounded by people but everyone could spread out then I'm uncomfortable.

Anywhere there are spiders

Meeting my girlfriend's parents for the first time

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor

Angie hates the airport. Any airport. She instantly becomes an aggressive malcontent, the moment she gets in line for security. For example, we were in Hartsfield-Jackson airport in Atlanta, one time and some lady on her cell phone, absent mindedly cut Angie off and nearly ran into her with her rolling suitcase. Angie's immediate response was to curse loudly and throw her chewing gum in the woman's hair. Yeah, that happened. Her fuse is incredibly short. Instant escalation of hostilities.

Since this happened in Atlanta, I'll give her a pass.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

Dude. You can't just call me out like that. You ALSO can't do so without providing context.

We'd been stuck in GD Georgia for three extra days, and that woman dared bump into me with her stupid suitcase. I was sick with what, in retrospect, was probably influenza.

Plus, I ******* hate airports. That is the most important part.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Uncomfortable:

- in a face to face confessional
- surrounded by people that are really timid conversationalists
- boss's house for a dinner party when some of his friends were drunk and started saying racist ****
- walking around a crowded mall

Most comfortable:

- walking around Iowa State's campus (at peace every time)
- bed
- hiking/wilderness
- sitting out on my covered deck while it's raining

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Comfy:
beach in Jamaica
my bed
my couch with a blanket and my cross stitch or book
nature places

Uncomfy:
Doctor's office
Spur of the moment requests to speak in front of groups
Social or professional situations where there is clearly a passive aggressive argument happening
variety of family situations like when they are trying to ask about the occupancy status of your uterus
Enclosed dark spaces
Heights

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Dude. You can't just call me out like that. You ALSO can't do so without providing context.

We'd been stuck in GD Georgia for three extra days, and that woman dared bump into me with her stupid suitcase. I was sick with what, in retrospect, was probably influenza.

Plus, I ******* hate airports. That is the most important part.

did you really throw gum in her hair?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa

Ha funny. I'm the opposite. For some reason I love airports. I feel like I'm off the sidelines and that I'm in the midst of society/life happening. People always coming and going. The people watching is also epic.

To be fair, I usually only travel by myself or just with the wife so I am not dragging kids around. I also pick flight times that are usually easy to hit so I arrive early and take my time with everything.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Uncomfortable places: Large crowds, weddings, funerals, any kind of doctor's office, especially ob/gyn and dentist, kids' sporting events especially those involving flipping crazed Little League parents, places outside where people smoke cause afraid kids or I will have an asthma attack, any place with people wearing Hawk gear which includes any public location in southern Iowa including weddings and funerals, school parent-teacher conferences, church confessional, stores with aggressive sales people, any place getting a car repaired, and shopping malls where people aggressively approach you with cosmetic samples because crazy allergic to lots of them.

Comfortable place: home.

• Agree

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I hate it when I'm at the store with my wife and it's busy. She always wants to stop and examine everything, which means that I need to find a place to park the cart and it's always in front of something that someone else is trying to get. Or someone else parks their cart kiddie corner of mine like an idiot which means people can't get through.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Comfortable:

Disc golf course - basically like a hike through the woods but also can get a round in
Skiing - especially runs towards the back of resorts where no one is around.
Being around ISU fans - love the support for my school and everyone is your friend at tailgates/away games ect.

Uncomfortable:

When someone tells me really bad news I didn't expect. I care and want to show compassion but never know how. Example - few years ago I was mowing and neighbor comes to interrupt me to tell me his wife left him. I just felt like an idiot not knowing what to do or say.

When other people's kids come over and they aren't watched by their parents. The house is left a mess with food all over the floor/coaches ect.

When the wife tells me to try something on at the store, then while I do she goes across the building and I'm looking like an idiot trying to get ahold of her wearing something to get her opinion on.